You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone ever run a pub?

Redder Lurtz

Bit of an update. Having spent almost a year running the bar we've made the decision to quit and go and work for one of the big breweries, namely Marstons. We've been negotiating for a couple of months and we've just had confirmation that we'll be moving into one of their pubs in Lincolnshire on 29th of this month. Live-in, rent-free, full food menu and lots of "guest" ales to offer as Marstons have been pretty shrewd in recent years in terms of expanding their range.

The pub had a full refurb in February so it's mint, but it's been run by someone who thought he could just fling the doors open and count the money. There's lots to do but I'm not worried about the hard work. It's got a recent excellent reputation so we just need to work hard on the details to bring it back to what it was. We've turned our current bar round from a collapsed dive to probably the best bar in Pudsey and we've had a whale of a time doing it. Looking forward to this next project.

Nice one mate best of luck with the new place

Bit of an update. Having spent almost a year running the bar we've made the decision to quit and go and work for one of the big breweries, namely Marstons. We've been negotiating for a couple of months and we've just had confirmation that we'll be moving into one of their pubs in Lincolnshire on 29th of this month. Live-in, rent-free, full food menu and lots of "guest" ales to offer as Marstons have been pretty shrewd in recent years in terms of expanding their range.

The pub had a full refurb in February so it's mint, but it's been run by someone who thought he could just fling the doors open and count the money. There's lots to do but I'm not worried about the hard work. It's got a recent excellent reputation so we just need to work hard on the details to bring it back to what it was. We've turned our current bar round from a collapsed dive to probably the best bar in Pudsey and we've had a whale of a time doing it. Looking forward to this next project. 

Good stuff mate.  Will be interesting to check back on the bar in Pudsey in a few years and see how it's gone without your stewardship. 

Good luck in your next one

I've never ran a pub I did one shift in one once, back in about 2004. 

At the end of my shift I got a brown envelope with "- £32" on it. 

Basically, at the end of the 6 hour shift I'd drank all of the money the lad was gonna give me, plus an additional 32 quid. 

About half way through my shift I essentially transitioned from paid staff to paying customer; my natural habitat and default position. 

• Upvote 5

Good luck to you mate. Change to hear someone enthused about their future atm  

My mate runs a pub & his best ever story was about the night some bird stayed back for a lock in with him, after a few they started getting it on with each other & ended up in the pub kitchen shagging next to a massive tray of stovies that his missus had made to serve during the game the next day, anyway this bird is getting carried away & goes 'Get the stovies on my tits.', so naturally he obliges & ends up covering her tits in cold stovies before licking them off again.

Stovies must be the least sexy food of all fucking time, I'm sitting pishing myself just writing this.

For anyone who doesn't know what stovies are, they're a Scottish delicacy:-

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/663/sausage-stovies.aspx

226821443_ef56211130_z.jpg

did she put batter on his mars bar?

• Upvote 1

A man not afraid of a challenge, clearly.

Why did you decide to move on, if you don't mind me asking

It's an upward career move. No rent, bigger take, bigger percentage of that take, bigger company with scope to move if we like, better support, full food offering, our own menu, nicer area. Etc. 

• Upvote 3

It's an upward career move. No rent, bigger take, bigger percentage of that take, bigger company with scope to move if we like, better support, full food offering, our own menu, nicer area. Etc.

You sound happy.

It takes guts to do what you did. And make it work. Good on yer!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well that was short lived. About 48 hours before handing over a slab of deposit cash to Marstons we pulled out of the deal. They started back-tracking on a load of stuff they'd previously agreed on, such as doing our own food, expanding the kitchen, fixing up the accommodation, which was a shithole, and letting me do a quick beer review (turns out that was going to take three months at least, so we'd be forced to be selling shit beer until then). We started to feel really uncomfortable and so we pulled the plug. After a year of doing our own thing we're not about to be fucked by a large brewery for their own ends.

So we're staying at our current place for the foreseeable. We're also looking for a retail unit in the Leeds area though, where we'll replicate what we've done in our first pub. A spot of empire building if you like. 

• Upvote 4