You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Feb 2016

Prime Minister David Cameron yesterday set out the details of the UK-EU deal in the House of Commons. He argued that the referendum would be “a straight democratic decision… Having a second renegotiation followed by a second referendum is not on the ballot paper.” He went on to say that “If the British people vote to leave, there is only one way to bring that about, namely to trigger article 50 of the treaties and begin the process of exit, and the British people would rightly expect that to start straight away.” Cameron also said that in recommending a vote to remain inside a reformed EU he had “no other agenda than what is best for our country,”

Feb 2016

Prime Minister David Cameron yesterday set out the details of the UK-EU deal in the House of Commons. He argued that the referendum would be “a straight democratic decision… Having a second renegotiation followed by a second referendum is not on the ballot paper.” He went on to say that “If the British people vote to leave, there is only one way to bring that about, namely to trigger article 50 of the treaties and begin the process of exit, and the British people would rightly expect that to start straight away.” Cameron also said that in recommending a vote to remain inside a reformed EU he had “no other agenda than what is best for our country,”

The more I read that, the more I think they've shit themselves.

Guest Pistonbroke

What Johnson wants is for Cameron to stay put and do the fucking job he has been elected to do. Lead the country out of the EU. The people have spoken. Its Cameron who's the coward. He should forget his personal baggage and lead.

Cameron was on the stay side, why should he be the one to set the timer on a ticking bomb? I fucking despise the cunt but he is in the right here, he has stood down, the invoking of article 50 should be triggered and seen through by someone who will be PM for the whole period of time. 

Johnson didn't get what he wanted. 

MEPs are elected. In England, Wales and Scotland, a list of European parliament candidates are put forward by your party and registered voters have one vote.

Maybe but the EU was imposed on people the fact that you vote for MPs is turkeys voting for christmas.

You can change the party and the mps who runs the country.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

• Downvote 1

There was an email leaked yesterday saying that Murdoch and Dacre don't like Boris.

That'll be why he's not running for PM.

I saw it but to be honest I very much doubt that was a shock to anybody.

Dacre's the Mail isn't he?  Pretty hilarious that even the Tory press can't unify behind someone, Telegraph journo kicked in the bollocks by the Times, S*n and Mail.  It could all backfire spectacularly for them now this because Gove is on record so many times as saying he isn't equipped for the job of PM it would be very brave of them to elect him leader.  That in turn raises the prospect of brexit being conducted without either of the two campaign leaders being in the big chair.  OK whoever wins could appoint one or both to whatever group is set up to manage the withdrawal but that's even worse in some ways, they'd be seen to be in the driving seat but to have been protected from having to go to the country under their own flag first.

Guest Pistonbroke

Boris has already said that there'll be no staying in the single market.

That fuck nugget has no say in the matter. 

Maybe but the EU was imposed on people the fact that you vote for MPs is turkeys voting for christmas.

You can change the party and the mps who runs the country.

Just checking. The 'unelected' comment you've made repeatedly is not, in fact, correct.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post actually means or what that has to do with members of the European Parliament being elected.

So assuming its Theresa May, she'll let someone else be the fall guy, probably Boris as he'll be unable to refuse. I suspect the new department will be in a dark corner in the basement.

"

A Theresa May government would hand the job of “Secretary of State for Brexit” to an MP who campaigned to leave the EU, the Tory leadership hopeful will pledge.

Ms May, who campaigned for Britain to Remain, will present herself as the unity candidate to bring the Conservative Party and the country back together after the bitter divisions created by the EU referendum.

When formally announcing her leadership challenge, the Home Secretary will pledge to set up a new Government department responsible for conducting Britain’s negotiations with the EU, and forging the terms of a new relationship outside of the bloc. In a unifying gesture, she will commit to appoint an MP who backed Brexit to lead the department – holding out the possibility that senior Leave campaigners Boris Johnson, Michael Gove or Liam Fox could spearhead talks in Brussels, even under a Government led by Ms May.

"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-leadership-theresa-may-boris-johnson-stephen-crabb-latest-updates-department-for-brexit-7110001.html

Just checking. The 'unelected' comment you've made repeatedly is not, in fact, correct.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post actually means or what that has to do with members of the European Parliament being elected.

I missed out the e and wrote mp instead.

The fact that you can vote for MEP's doesnt mean fuck all at the end of the day it doesnt make it denorcratic and it doesnt meab that these so called elected politicians are actually representing the people who they claim to represent. So the fact that you can vote for these MEPs is akin to turkeys voting for christmas.

The fact that you can vote for MEP's doesnt mean fuck all at the end of the day it doesnt make it denorcratic and it doesnt meab that these so called elected politicians are actually representing the people who they claim to represent. So the fact that you can vote for these MEPs is akin to turkeys voting for christmas.

He's left a giant turd in the bowl and walked away without flushing.

He's created a shitstorm and backed away for someone else to take he fall. Whoever the next PM is won;'t last a year: Enacting Article 50, presiding over a resulting economic freefall, enduring the ire of the rest of the world  and then there's the Chilcott enquiry to deal with. THAT is a poisoned chalice not even a cloned Winston Churchill in an Union jack suit stuffed with billion pound notes would survive.  Boris I think will throw his hat in in maybe 18-24 months time when the shit has long hit the fan and we've lost our second PM in as many years.

"elected' Hmmmm

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5573457.html?edition=uk

Bet Dacre and Murdoch backing Gove had nothing to do with ensuring Johnson has no opportunity whatsoever to wriggle off the hook and keep Britain in the EU.

He came across in that speech like someone telling their family they're being treated well and are speaking out against their country of their own free will in a hostage video.

Silly cunt made the fatal error of thinking he was the shark in this food chain.

• Upvote 1

Johnson has been played for a fool by Murdoch and Dacre. The King of the Idiots, crowned by 17 million useful idiots. And now we will all suffer.

People werent voting for Johnson they voted to leave the EU. The leave vote would have possibly got more votes had someone other than Johnson was leading the campaign.

Johnson couldn't get past Tory MPs. They whittle down the contenders to a final two candidates, then the membership chooses between the two.

There's too many Tories who don't like what he's done, so he now has to wait in the wings until the tide turns - which also means leaving the mess for someone else to deal with.

It's come to something when Theresa May suddenly looks half decent.

Gove's got a fucking nerve, and the Tory's seem to think so highly of him. What with media contacts bosses and all.

People werent voting for Johnson they voted to leave the EU. The leave vote would have possibly got more votes had someone other than Johnson was leading the campaign.

Yes they were voting to leave the EU, but Johnson's strength of personality was a considerable factor. This is a referendum won by a campaign, not a concrete policy.

Yes they were voting to leave the EU, but Johnson's strength of personality was a considerable factor. This is a referendum won by a campaign, not a concrete policy.

People in Liverpool think hes a tool. I am sure lots of other people around the country also think he is a tool.