You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We're staying in a self catering apartment place right in the centre, the missus picked it all, I just gave her the money.

The mother in law is coming too so she'll look after the kids one of the nights while we go for a drink or two somewhere.

Sound. I can recommend a pub or two.

There’s a lovely big park attached to York museum not far from the station if the little guy needs to run around for a bit.

It’s a bit sad (reality) but if you’re like us you’ll come to rate places on the quality of their play parks and open spaces

A few pages back, Sugar Ape posted about the House of Trembling Madness. The shop is very good but it’s not somewhere I enjoyed drinking. Tends to be a younger crowd and you often have to queue to get in.

The Golden Slipper and Royal Oak (next to one another on Goodramgate), Snickleway Inn (also on Goodramgate), Duke of York (Kings Square) are all decent pubs and centrally located. I was a real ale man, so I’m not sure about the choice of lager, but I imagine there will be something to your tastes.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I'm down on Monday, we're going to see the Jurassic World exhibition at the museum, the railway museum & I've got a note to visit Pivni, The Golden Slipper & The Royal Oak when we get a chance to go for a pint or 10.

We're staying at Fossgate, I take it the town centre is all pretty walkable from there within 45 minutes or so (it's always hard to tell looking at a map)?

• Upvote 1

I'm down on Monday, we're going to see the Jurassic World exhibition at the museum, the railway museum & I've got a note to visit Pivni, The Golden Slipper & The Royal Oak when we get a chance to go for a pint or 10.

We're staying at Fossgate, I take it the town centre is all pretty walkable from there within 45 minutes or so (it's always hard to tell looking at a map)?

That is the town centre, Mook. It's all very walkable from there

• Upvote 1

We're staying at Fossgate, I take it the town centre is all pretty walkable from there within 45 minutes or so (it's always hard to tell looking at a map)?

The Blue Bell, which is probably my favourite pub in York, is in Fossgate. Great little Edwardian pub, although I have’t been in since the previous landlord left.

• Upvote 4

The Blue Bell, which is probably my favourite pub in York, is in Fossgate. Great little Edwardian pub, although I have’t been in since the previous landlord left.

Just looked on Trip Advisor & that makes sense, Tony. The second review is...

Lovely friendly pub in the city center ....went through a dodgy period a few years back but back to its best!

• Upvote 1

Just looked on Trip Advisor & that makes sense, Tony. The second review is...

Lovely friendly pub in the city center ....went through a dodgy period a few years back but back to its best!

One for every day of the year and all that...

went for a drive there on Saturday and had a class time, went to the Chocolate tour and took the Mrs to get a book signed by the author in Waterstones, will deffo go back soon and maybe check out the Viking museum. Lovely small city with a chilled vibe, right up my street. 

• Upvote 2

went for a drive there on Saturday and had a class time, went to the Chocolate tour and took the Mrs to get a book signed by the author in Waterstones, will deffo go back soon and maybe check out the Viking museum. Lovely small city with a chilled vibe, right up my street. 

I fancy the chocolate tour but anything with dairy in it gives our two year old a nasty dose of the glides so probably a bit harsh taking him there to watch us stuff our faces.

I fancy the chocolate tour but anything with dairy in it gives our two year old a nasty dose of the glides so probably a bit harsh taking him there to watch us stuff our faces.

There was a woman on our tour who couldn't have dairy and they had alternative stuff for her, most of the stuff you'll taste is dark anyway - like cocoa nibs! 

There was a woman on our tour who couldn't have dairy and they had alternative stuff for her, most of the stuff you'll taste is dark anyway - like cocoa nibs! 

I was hoping you might say something like that, I'll run it by the missus tonight (sorry, out of rep).

No worries, but on a primal level I'm still not comfortable with Scots going to York, it tends to end in bloodshed. 

It'll be the first proper night out my missus & I have had together for a couple of years so this will almost certainly be the case.

• Upvote 1

If you’re staying on Fossgate and looking for somewhere decent to eat, carry on down Fossgate over the bridge on to Walmgate, few nice eating places down there, the Polish restaurant “Barbikan” I can recommend and they have a decent choice of beers and the Thai restaurant next to it is also good.

• Upvote 1

If you’re staying on Fossgate and looking for somewhere decent to eat, carry on down Fossgate over the bridge on to Walmgate, few nice eating places down there, the Polish restaurant “Barbikan” I can recommend and they have a decent choice of beers and the Thai restaurant next to it is also good.

Just make sure you don’t carry on too far down Walmagate, through Walmgate Bar and onto Lawrence Street. Jenny’s Fish & Chips is one of the worst chippies I’ve ever encountered. The Rook & Gaskill, opposite, is pretty decent for a pint, though.