You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Losing Suarez

boots123

He has the final say out of whichever players are foisted upon him by this committee.

So we are just absolving Rodgers of any blame then, well that's convienient isn't it for a man who was ready to walk away from the job unless we got rid of the director of football model we had seemed to want so much.

It's bollocks, no fucking way would he have players foisted on him, none whatsoever. Besides the way the team is defending has got fuck all to do with the personnel, it's the way he has got the team set up. That is what is letting the side down because the goals will eventually come but unless we have massive firepower again it won't matter because we are shocking at defending.

So we are just absolving Rodgers of any blame then, well that's convienient isn't it for a man who was ready to walk away from the job unless we got rid of the director of football model we had seemed to want so much.

It's bollocks, no fucking way would he have players foisted on him, none whatsoever. Besides the way the team is defending has got fuck all to do with the personnel, it's the way he has got the team set up. That is what is letting the side down because the goals will eventually come but unless we have massive firepower again it won't matter because we are shocking at defending.

I'm not absolving him of any blame, not sure where I did that.  I do think he's restricted in which players he can sign because of this stupid committee.  Or are you telling me he thought "right, I've qualified for the Champions League so that's the hard part out of the way.  Now I just need the icing on the cake - Mario Balotelli.  My DREAM player".  

And on the flip side I could say that the reason the attack isn't functioning properly is precisely because of who we signed.  

What does the committee do, then?  Rodgers has specifically said that they shortlist the players he can sign.  He then gives the green light on whichever is the best of the sorry bunch they come up with.  That's how it looks to an outsider like me (with the odd exception like Lallana who he's mad for). 

What does the committee do, then?  Rodgers has specifically said that they shortlist the players he can sign.  He then gives the green light on whichever is the best of the sorry bunch they come up with.  That's how it looks to an outsider like me (with the odd exception like Lallana who he's mad for). 

Maybe they identify players within the financial constraints they are working under.

I keep asking this question but with the £115m (or whatever) budget we had who would you have gone for? Bearing in mind that we clearly needed numbers.

I'm not absolving him of any blame, not sure where I did that.  I do think he's restricted in which players he can sign because of this stupid committee.  Or are you telling me he thought "right, I've qualified for the Champions League so that's the hard part out of the way.  Now I just need the icing on the cake - Mario Balotelli.  My DREAM player".  

And on the flip side I could say that the reason the attack isn't functioning properly is precisely because of who we signed.

No I think he had a budget and he was the last person available and he took a chance, like I said earlier for a man willing to walk away for the biggest payday and job of his life unless it was under his terms he doesn't strike me as the type to put up with having players foisted on him.

Maybe they identify players within the financial constraints they are working under.

I keep asking this question but with the £115m (or whatever) budget we had who would you have gone for? Bearing in mind that we clearly needed numbers.

If they're identifying the players then Rodgers isn't picking the players.

The financial constraints apply to all managers (well, most). But it doesn't appear like Rodgers is told at the start of the window - You have x amount to spend, plus however much you bring in, and the wage bill can't go above y amount.

I still don't really know what the point of the committee is. All managers will have financial constraints dictated by the chairman/board. All managers will have scouts looking for players to sign. All clubs will have someone in the Ayre role attempting to get the best financial deal.

What are they fucking doing?

It's not relevant who I'd go for, I don't pick the team or choose the tactics (not yet, anyway).

I think you're right about the first part but I'd get rid of it and let the manager choose.  I don't think it's working very well. 

It's not relevant who I'd go for, I don't pick the team or choose the tactics (not yet, anyway).

No, it's not relevant in the grand scheme of things but it's relevant within this discussion. You've criticised their signings so I've asked who you'd sign in their stead. It's the obvious question I would have thought.

If they're identifying the players then Rodgers isn't picking the players.

The financial constraints apply to all managers (well, most). But it doesn't appear like Rodgers is told at the start of the window - You have x amount to spend, plus however much you bring in, and the wage bill can't go above y amount.

I still don't really know what the point of the committee is. All managers will have financial constraints dictated by the chairman/board. All managers will have scouts looking for players to sign. All clubs will have someone in the Ayre role attempting to get the best financial deal.

What are they fucking doing?

Most teams will have a scouting 'committee' whether they term it like that or not. And I have no idea what ours is doing.

If this season's signings fail, well, then we need a rethink of strategy, surely. Too many failures. Too many players Rodgers doesn't appear to trust. Every club misses just about as much as they hit in the market but ours, under this current regime, and missing far too often. For me anyway.

• Upvote 2

From the way they've gone about things so far, FSG will spent big chunks on transfer fees but they're not having the massive wages too. So, for example, I have no doubt they'd pay the fee for a Fabregas but I doubt they'd come to close to matching the wages. That's why we have the 'strategy' we have now, where we're buying young players or the Balotellis of the world. It's not even admirable, you need the world class players alongside the young players. Trying to build up a team at once isn't feasible any more.

From the way they've gone about things so far, FSG will spent big chunks on transfer fees but they're not having the massive wages too. So, for example, I have no doubt they'd pay the fee for a Fabregas but I doubt they'd come to close to matching the wages. That's why we have the 'strategy' we have now, where we're buying young players or the Balotellis of the world. It's not even admirable, you need the world class players alongside the young players. Trying to build up a team at once isn't feasible any more.

But Balotelli is still on quite a fair whack in wages i.e 120k a week.

Falcao would have been too.

Most teams will have a scouting 'committee' whether they term it like that or not. And I have no idea what ours is doing.

If this season's signings fail, well, then we need a rethink of strategy, surely. Too many failures. Too many players Rodgers doesn't appear to trust. Every club misses just about as much as they hit in the market but ours, under this current regime, and missing far too often. For me anyway.

Well he needs to trust them. He asked for more powers in signing players and he had a veto. Its a bit of a kop out.

Without wishing to sound like a massive melodramatic tart, I do suspect that I'm actually in mourning for Luis just a little bit. He's the best player we've ever had and the hole he's left behind is utterly fucking chasmic. 

• Upvote 1