You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Injured Suarez Out of World Cup?

skend04

Little bit more information with tweet links:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/22/report-luis-suarez-to-have-meniscus-surgery-world-cup-status-up-in-the-air/

Report: Luis Suarez to have meniscus surgery, World Cup status up in the air

The Uruguay camp has been thrown a very sudden and heavy curveball, as reports come through that star striker Luis Suarez has picked up a knee injury in training today.

According to Uruguayan journalist Martin Charquero, Suarez felt discomfort in national team training, and tests later on revealed meniscus damage.

He will have surgery as soon as possible, and according to Charquero he should be ready for the World Cup.

However, recovery from a typical meniscus procedure often takes 4-6 weeks, so Suarez would be pushing those limits, and it’s hard to imagine doctors at this time could definitively say he’ll be ready to go.

It is unknown how extensive his surgery will be. Meniscus repair is almost always arthroscopic, but still has the month or so recovery time.  At the very least, the procedure will cut down on his ability to train and work with the first team leading up to the opening match.

No question his country will be sweating his recovery, with so little time to go until play gets under way in Brazil. Much of Uruguay’s hopes ride on the Liverpool star who won the Premier League’s Player of the Year, nearly leading the Reds to a surprise Premier League title.

Suarez is the focal point of a deadly Uruguay attack also featuring Edinson Cavani and Diego Forlan, and his miss would be a massive blow considering both those players are most dangerous when played out on the wing with Suarez in the middle.

Uruguay’s incredibly difficult group includes England, Costa Rica, and Italy.

If Suarez is unable to go, he will join the long list of stars in the European game that have suffered injuries eliminating them from the World Cup.  That list includes Diego Costa, Radamel Falcao, Christian Benteke, Kevin Strootman, Jay Rodriguez, and Theo Walcott.

The lucky thing for them is he probably won't be needed in the first game against Costa Rica so that will give him a few more days. Honestly I don't see them getting through the group as I think they are vastly overrated

Very bad news, both for us and Luis. Fingers crossed his surgery is successful and he'll be back as soon as possible.

It's great news for us, 6 to 8 week he'd be out so back in time for the season with a decent rest. The bigger risk is he rushes back for the World Cup and during the tournament ends up doing something more serious.

It's great news for us, 6 to 8 week he'd be out so back in time for the season with a decent rest. The bigger risk is he rushes back for the World Cup and during the tournament ends up doing something more serious.

I disagree, even if he is only 70% fit you can guarantee he will be played.

• Upvote 1

It is a bad thing for us, a happy Luis Suarez would probably be more likely to stay.  They're going to rush him back, which will fuck him up badly.  Sky Sports News said these will be the first games he's ever missed in his professional career due to injury.

Not good news, they'll definitely rush him back and risk him. He'll be desperate to play as well. I doubt Uruguay as with any other national team will give much of a shit if he returns to us with a more serious injury just as long as he's played during the World Cup.

The lucky thing for them is he probably won't be needed in the first game against Costa Rica so that will give him a few more days. Honestly I don't see them getting through the group as I think they are vastly overrated

I don't think they're vastly overrated - anybody backing them to do reasonably well is probably just acknowledging that they've got one of the world's best players in the form of his life.

Average as the rest of the team might be, if they're organised well and he's fit, they could quite easily stumble through to the business end of the tournament, particularly if Cavani can produce some decent form.

Colombia/Greece/Ivory Coast/Japan in the second round means the quarters might well be achievable for them.

Whilst I know injuries can happen to players at any time - this is one of the reasons I have no time for International football - they are employees of the clubs and all too often clubs end up suffering due to injuries that happen whilst players are away playing international football.

The summer tournaments also have a negative impact on clubs preparation for seasons. 

He's not been injured once this season and hardly gets injured at all, what were Uruguay doing in training to get him a busted knee? Their own fault, it will cost them, Luis, and us as he will no doubt play for them being unfit and probably make the injury worse by the time he gets back to us for pre-season.