You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The official soul-searching 'where did it all go wrong?' thread

Pureblood

When Alan Hansen on football focus the Saturday before the Chelsea game, he was smug and saying WHEN Steven Gerrard lifts the trophy, Keown(rightly) was trying to say it wasn't done but he wasn't having it, I remember thinking I wish I didn't watch that

saw that too and felt the same as you. think he d been

at the Hillsborough game earlier that week and got caught up in the emotion of that and the feeling we were on for something special this season.

also his last season on motd. would have been a great bookend but looks like hes still making big calls and getting them wrong.

When Alan Hansen on football focus the Saturday before the Chelsea game, he was smug and saying WHEN Steven Gerrard lifts the trophy, Keown(rightly) was trying to say it wasn't done but he wasn't having it, I remember thinking I wish I didn't watch that

I remember that.  At the time I thought to myself what an idiot I thought the same again when I remembered that Football Focus this morning.

Where did it all go right might be a better question for me, because I've been completely astonished by how good we've been.

It was unforgivable not to strengthen in January considering we were in with a strong chance at that point though.

The team has been dead on it's feet for the last few games, and that's because we had no options to refresh them effectively.

• Upvote 5

Where did it all go right might be a better question for me, because I've been completely astonished by how good we've been.

It was unforgivable not to strengthen in January considering we were in with a strong chance at that point though.

The team has been dead on it's feet for the last few games, and that's because we had no options to refresh them effectively.

I remember thinking if we don't strengthen we won't even make top 4. So to be finishing as high as we are without strengthening is incredible. 

In that sense maybe we shouldn't be pissed off about it, but in reality we did need to bring a fresh face or two in and didn't. I still think there was an air of bollox being spun about it all too.

Any repeat this summer would be beyond criminal considering the position we've put ourselves in. 

All perfectly correct, but being ousted by the odd point so close to the line is bound to spur these sort of debates.

I'm happy to say i didn't give us a prayer of amounting to much this quickly.

Its been great, i'm visibly greyer, but its been great.

The EXACT point where we lost the title, was when Moses failed to control it against Norwich, then Henderson piled in, also failed to control it, and got sent off.

That's not a sentence i ever saw myself writing.

But there it is.

I do agree, however lets talk about where it went right;

Migs pen save vs Stoke

Gerrard last min pen vs Fulham

Coutinho winner vs City

Arsenal at Anfield

Everton at Anfield

Utd twice

spurs twice

99 and counting...

its not over.

Lets do this, and point and laugh at this shite thread on Tuesday, next month, when we are sobre enough to type again

we ve got to this point of season with just 23 players.

2 of them (Brad Smith and Teixeira) only played in 1 game each while enrique alberto and kelly played less than 10 games each.

we ve done this with about 18 players.

edit: so have city. they used 23 players but pantimilion richards rodwell and boyata have played less than 10 games. boyata played 1 and richards 2

I disagree, we have played fewer games this season than for a very long time, and will play far more in seasons to some.

When you are winning games you want to play, tiredness, apart from routine end of season tiredness, has not been a significant factor in my view.We have also been incredibly lucky with injury this season.

Some say Brendan should have played more defensively against Chelsea, but that is not in our nature.

I disagree, we have played fewer games this season than for a very long time, and will play far more in seasons to some.

When you are winning games you want to play, tiredness, apart from routine end of season tiredness, has not been a significant factor in my view.We have also been incredibly lucky with injury this season.

Some say Brendan should have played more defensively against Chelsea, but that is not in our nature.

we are where we are by playing kamikaze foorball.

• Upvote 2

We haven't been lucky with injury, the following have missed : Suarez missed first 6 games through suspension, Sturridge had no pre season due to injury on Internation duty, Coutinho 6 weeks, Enrique injured since October, Gerrard 4 weeks, Sturridge 6 weeks and 2 weeks, Agger 5 weeks, Sakho 8-10 weeks, Glen johnson 3/4 weeks, Lucas 6 weeks, Joe Allen 3 weeks. So bollix to that theory.

The EXACT point where we lost the title, was when Moses failed to control it against Norwich, then Henderson piled in, also failed to control it, and got sent off.That's not a sentence i ever saw myself writing.But there it is.

The incident you mention was against city

we ve got to this point of season with just 23 players.

2 of them (Brad Smith and Teixeira) only played in 1 game each while enrique alberto and kelly played less than 10 games each.

we ve done this with about 18 players.

edit: so have city. they used 23 players but pantimilion richards rodwell and boyata have played less than 10 games. boyata played 1 and richards 2

Did Aspas have a point when he complained about lack of playing time in games when we were 3 or 4-0 up?

Could we have used our subs better to give more players playing time so they were ready when we actually needed them or simply used more subs overall, in a lot of games we only used one or two instead of all three.

I don't get all this 'Brendan was naive v Chelsea' bollocks, Outsmarted by Mourinho my arse. Gerrard slipped. It really is that simple, I suppose Mourinho knew it was going to happen & told Ba to stay close to him too because he's fuckin brilliant is Jose. If he hadn't slipped we'd go in at HT 0-0 & we'd have been halfway to job done.. Instead 1-0 down, we had to chase the game & we get hit on the counter. Hardly a fuckin tactical master class.

• Upvote 5

ust gone through our games in the premier league this season.

For the defenders who started the match :

Agger  -  8 clean sheets in 14 games

Sakho -  1 clean sheets in 14 games

Skrtel  -  8 clean sheets in 30 games

Toure  -  3 clean sheets in 13 games

Of those clean sheets when played as a cb partnership.

Agger - Skrtel  - 6 clean sheets

Agger - Toure  - 2 clean sheets

Sakho - Skrtel - 1 clean sheet

Skrtel  - Toure - 1 clean sheet

Makes for very interesting reading, and yes i was bored.

I just can't pick one particular point where it "went wrong".

Kolo's pass? Gerrard's slip? The poor refereeing decisions over Christmas?

Bad breaks. Mistakes. Every team makes them--Terry's headed OG vs Palace comes to mind.

We've played remarkable football this season. For the past four months it's been fantastic.

And if we sacrificed at the back to go forward so relentlessly, what's to say a bit of caution wouldn't have cost us more points than not?

Would we have settled for the draw vs. City? Instead of the 3-2?

I just can't pick one particular point where it "went wrong".

Kolo's pass? Gerrard's slip? The poor refereeing decisions over Christmas?

Bad breaks. Mistakes. Every team makes them--Terry's headed OG vs Palace comes to mind.

We've played remarkable football this season. For the past four months it's been fantastic.

And if we sacrificed at the back to go forward so relentlessly, what's to say a bit of caution wouldn't have cost us more points than not?

Would we have settled for the draw vs. City? Instead of the 3-2?

Weird thought I had, but could drawing with City have been a blessing in disguise, I know it sounds like complete bollix and I didn't think it at the time, but the outpour of emotion after the final whistle, we became immediate favourites for the first time, mentality wise it's easier to be the chaser than the chased. The fact we handed them the initiative after losing to Chelsea appears to have given them a huge psychological lift, had there been a longer run in for City to manage I'm not so sure they would have dealt with it, the way they have this.

It hasn't "all gone wrong" at all. 

For starters, a side on the verge of 100 goals is doing a fair bit right.

We may well be doing a premature post-mortem on the Champions (yes it's still a remote possibility but then again so was Istanbul, even more so in fact)... but I did find this ESPN article engaging and pretty instructive...

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/2964?cc=3436

It hasn't "all gone wrong" at all. 

For starters, a side on the verge of 100 goals is doing a fair bit right.

We may well be doing a premature post-mortem on the Champions (yes it's still a remote possibility but then again so was Istanbul, even more so in fact)... but I did find this ESPN article engaging and pretty instructive...

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/2964?cc=3436

Excellent article that

I have been saying it all week about our lack of a true leader. While I appreciate the language barrier between Sakho and Skrtel, all that is needed to mantain a proper defensive lines is a call, an arm gesture etc, on that basis the language barrier is irrelevant. The reality is that we lack that type of character, a Kompany, a Terry or most painfully, a Carragher. 

Getting this type of person is top of the list for me this summer. The main issue is that the Mancs and probably Chelsea need one too, and there are not too many of that type out there. I haven't seen enough of Papadopolous to have a proper opinion as to whether he is that type, but his recent injury record would suggest that he would just be a chance signing, rather than actually dealing with what is clearly our biggest problem.

• Upvote 1