You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

There's a lot going for Arsenal, no doubt, but LIverpool has a different set of attractions.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

City and Chelsea, regardless of people's opinions, they are still a reasonable bet to win things. In a 15 year career, that's not THAT many seasons to place your bets. And of course, the money is always going to help significantly. It might be a bit flash in the pan, but players can't always wait around for 5 year projects which get scrapped and started over again after 18 months.

Liverpool is a thoroughbred racehorse, but it's currently a bit behind the leaders.

Arsenal's plodding along well in 3rd place and doesn't look like speeding up or slowing down.

Some players will fancy the gamble. Some players will play safe.

Arsenal's a safer bet.

Liverpool is the exciting bet.

Well, that's what I reckon.

Patronised by a city fan. I've seen it all now.

• Upvote 3

Twitter's ruined transfer season for me.

Bring back teletext.

I'll admit, I see some no mark linking us to Reus and think "fuck off you no mark." Now, had I waited ten minutes for the Liverpool section of the teletext club call page to pop up and read "who wants to swap their bratwurst for a bowl of scouse?" I'd have been paying £3 a minute to find out as we speak.

• Upvote 1

Right, I'll not let that lie, that's fighting talk!

*clears throat*

Technically, as the band was called "Boney M." with an "e" as well as a stop after the "M" indicating a contraction, your ellipsis would have been short and the mixture of misspellings would, I feel, have been detrimental to my basic phonetic punnage.

#paronomasia pedantry

Fucking proud of you mate, there are exacting standards to uphold when it comes to grandly nitpicking on the web, and this beautifully Mr. Logic-esque pastiche hits that nail squarely in it's face.

You were what? Serious?

* Squints *

* Turns around *

* Pretends to have seen a familiar face *

• Upvote 1

This is the crux of the matter. It comes down to money. Give him 150k a week and he'll be touching the This is Anfield sign and repeating whatever meaningless platitudes you want him to.

Missing out on Sanchez is a massive blow. We had a sure fire replacement that, while a downgrade on Suarez, would also excite the fanbase. We've got £75m, but I would rather have a world-class striker and I think the odds of us getting one of those, or even an adequate replacement, are no better than 50/50.

And you'd want him in that scenario?

I don't mind losing out on Origi. He's still very raw and could easily turn out to be a World Cup wonder and then fade away.

Hard to even be remotely excited about the move anyway as he'll be back to Lille for a season (best for him, and for us if he comes). But it'll be like, "Hey Newport, I spent money on a gift for you. No, you can't have it until a year has past, and then it might be a shite gift anyway."

I'm not convinced about that part. Fans get suckered time and time again with seeming 'special' affection for a club.... only for them to start having an affair with another club 2 years down the line.

It hurts, but I think it's the truth - they are almost all just looking for the best option that suits them at any given time.

When I get off my mobile, I'm going to neg you for lack of love for Kinkladze (or however you spell it). Call yourself a City fan

I can see the attraction of London for foreign players.No more sweeping the chimney, plenty of smog, Jack the Ripper, the Elephant Man. ( plenty of totty on the streets ( unless Jack's been out ) Nice cup a Char, sing song down the rubber dub, jellied Eels.

All we've got is shellsuits, perms, thieves and sitting on our arse all day.

You choose. 1880's or 1980's.

Gertcha.

• Upvote 2

Did you type that with a straight face! 

Last player to sign for City for the "love" he has for the club? Probably Rodney Marsh!

They dont even appear to pretend at City! None of this "Boyhood dream" from Aguero. Or "you dont say no to City" from Navas....JUST GIVE ME THE MONEY!

Why would I joke about it? 

It's not a City v Liverpool debate. Like you say I can't remember the last time we had a player who was City through and through. Probably Paul Lake! and as for actually signing for us from another club, I just don't ever remember a single player.

There's a few that I think DID actually learn to really like us, but it's just to tempting to start believing they fall in love once they arrive. I don't care which club you're at, it's the same all over.

I'm a romantic in that I love the idea of a player falling in love with their club, but I'm realist too. They're just prostitutes who convince you you're their number one client. 

It's definitely not some anti Liverpool comment - it's the same across the board.

If you get a Gerrard or a Carragher, you're bloody lucky, and even Gerrard had his head turned for a short while. Those sort of lads are getting less and less common. A dying breed.