You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has the forum made you more left wing?

Kevin D

What do you know, what do you say?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Not really.

The current political and economic climate has made me more left wing, this forum just keeps reminding me.

As for freedom, I think we have plenty, it's just that the majority don't have enough money to make the most if it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I've probably become less left-wing since joining, but not by much. I'd say I'm now really rather left-wing rather than totally left-wing.

I don't really subscribe to the notion of wings, I just support whatever will give people more liberty.

In order for this forum to drive me leftwards, it would need to demonstrate that concentrating more power in the hands of the state would give individuals more freedom.

I think the argument of power devolved to a marketplace of lots of small and medium enterprises and a well informed population being better than a massive centralised state is a very valid one. I'd probably still argue with it but there's definite merit in it.

For smart people like yourself to not see the danger of concentrated power in the hands of a very small corporatist elite, and to prefer it to power being in the hands of a state with far more benevolent intentions, mystifies me. Is it something like 180 people that provide 80% of the funding for the US presidential candidate selections now? You don't want concentrated power, but there it is (and with no basic mandate to provide for all).

shhh.. because it's not the state influencing matters, it's called liberty apparently.  Your private data being sold to the large corporations that will increasingly control your existence is liberating.  Internet communications, telephone calls, and physical movements all being monitored through a myriad of channels by private enterprises.  Your insurance company - every insurance company - knowing more about your health prognosis from the day that you are born than you will ever know yourself?  Accountable?  Which planet have you just arrived from?  Actually don't tell us.  We already know.  Large corporates know what is best for you.  Vote ConDem.  

I don't think so, I think more life experience and particularly career experience did that, and only on some issues. I find the terms left and right too all encompassing. I like the idea of left wing economics but don't like some liberal approaches to crime and punishment for example. I think we confuse left with liberal a lot in this country, The Guardian for example isn't left wing in my view, and 'left wing' views on things like crime and immigration often bear no resemblance to their impacts on everyday people, because in this country the 'liberal left' is not a working class or even a social movement, it's an intellectual one.

• Upvote 3

I don't really stand for anything left or right. It's a bizarre way to define yourself.

I just tend to simply not be a massive fucking cunt. As far as I can tell it would appear thag as a consequence I get bundled in to the box marked left.

They should really just call it left and cunts and be done with it.

• Upvote 4

No socially I've pretty much always been on the "left" but I'm stil firmly entrenched on the "right" fiscally and when it comes to the size and scope of Government.

But don't you see the issue that, on the current path, your small government just becomes an agency that is farming out its massive budgets to a handful of small powerful elites?

How does it help you to have power centralised not in a democratic government but in the hands of the Koch brothers and a few of their mates?