You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We're not winning the title this year

WhiskeyJar

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says he does not think the Reds can win the Premier League title this season.

The Anfield team are enjoying a fine campaign and are currently fourth in the table, eight points behind leaders Arsenal, following Sunday's 1-1 draw at West Brom.

But Rodgers, who took charge in the summer of 2012, is not convinced his side are ready for a genuine title tilt just yet.

"I think for us, as a team, it's too early for that," Rodgers told Sky Sports.

"I was at the Manchester City-Chelsea game the other night and I look at the squads they have, which they have built up over the last few years. and it's very difficult for us, even though we have competed right the way through the season.

"So, I wouldn't say for us this year, no. We wouldn't be challengers for it."

High finish

However, Liverpool still have games left against Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea, and Rodgers is looking forward to watching his side have a say in the title race.

Too soon for Liverpool title challenge

"Will we play a part in it? Yes, we will, because we are professional and we want to fight to finish as high as we possibly can," he said.

"We look it and there are six points between us and (second-placed) Chelsea, so there is still a lot to play for and we will be fighting right until the very end.

"But, if I'm asked to give an honest answer, I'd probably say that this year is too soon for us."

Rodgers was speaking to us from an event at Anfield Sports and Community Centre. He and his backroom staff hosted a day of football activities for two local primary schools.

Mourinho having a dig about City's spending is about as hilarious thing as I've ever read. The giant fucking quim.

But it highlights the sad reality that until we have £30m players sitting on the bench, it will be very difficult to win the big one. It will take some shrewd signings, and some brilliant luck with injuries to get there, but we are certainly not far off. Not there yet, but we are getting close.

Nothing wrong with what Brendan has said.

• Upvote 4

So the difference between Mourinho saying they aren't title contenders and Rodgers coming out with the same thing is that one is lying . self obsessed ,snidey little prick and the other is Liverpool's manager.

Isn't the difference that Mourinho is saying that about one of the best squads in the league.

I think Brendan did well here. Arsenal, top of the leagyue, should be the ones feeling the pressure here. Besides whenever he has talked us up, it has been followed by a defeat or disappointing draw -- he seems to be changing his approach at last.

It is also better I think in the long-run, to prevent players getting too frustrated with themselves after results like a draw at the Baggies, and then end up on a downer that sees us lower than fourth. We are overachieving for our squad after all, so let's just make sure of 4th and treat anything better as a bonus we can secretly dream about.

Mourinho having a dig about City's spending is about as hilarious thing as I've ever read. The giant fucking quim.

But it highlights the sad reality that until we have £30m players sitting on the bench, it will be very difficult to win the big one. It will take some shrewd signings, and some brilliant luck with injuries to get there, but we are certainly not far off. Not there yet, but we are getting close.

Nothing wrong with what Brendan has said.

We have already tried that with Andy Carroll  :mellow:

• Upvote 2

What killed us this season was City/Chelsea double header with virtually every other team playing easy fixtures. We would have been better choosing which fixture we can realistically win and then resting players for the other fixture because not only did we pick up zero points we lost key players to muscle damage.

For example if we had rested players vs Chelsea we would have been no worse off points wise but we would have had the likes of Allen and Sakho available for the Villa game. All hindsight of course because no way would Brendan throw a game for the benefit of long term fitness.