You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

True Detective.

Kevin D

Dullest mob boss in screen history. If that's what Vaughan's going for then he's doing a great job. I suspect that isn't wasn't what the writers had in mind when they came up with his character, though.

And Kitsch's character is a bit shit. He just seems bolted on; a sort of afterthought (no history connected to the main plot for instance, as the other leads have). Not his fault, though, and he's playing him well. 

Sat at lunch today with the wife & completely unprompted & out the blue she just goes:'Isn't Vince Vaughn shit in True Detective. He's really boring & making me not want to watch the rest of the show'.Well said wifey.

And Kitsch's character is a bit shit. He just seems bolted on; a sort of afterthought (no history connected to the main plot for instance, as the other leads have). Not his fault, though, and he's playing him well.
I agree his character is a bit 'meh' but at least Kitsch is trying his best with him & making more of the character than has been written for him.

That was easily the best episode so far. The plot is finally coming together and so are the performances: Vince Vaughn was brilliant this week, I thought. His scenes with Ray, the kid and the Mexicans were all great.

Also the direction is stepping up too. The filters on the camera really add to the mood and LA is becoming more brooding and oppressive with the high angle long shots of the freeway.

The use of music was superb too, especially around the final scene. As the two fellas were breaking in it was almost the theme to a melodramatic romance. Then it became orchestral as Rachel McAdam was fighting her way out. The pace helped improve things too.

The kids theme is also gathering pace and there's a strong sense of the whole thing building to a crescendo. I'm made up I stuck with this now because it's becoming really good.

Yes, good episode this week but then again, I've enjoyed all of them.

I'd go on a big booze & coke bender as well if my kid asked us to watch Friends together.

Ha! So much happened this week, I totally forgot about that. He went absolutely nuts, didn't he?

I've enjoyed this series all the way. Reminiscent, at times, of David Lynch's Mullholland Drive (!).

Also think it's fair to say that Colin Farrell has been, by some distance, the best of the four principal actors, and by some distance.

However, unlike most, I really thought this weeks finale / party / orgy scene was pretty piss poor.

I think McAdam has been merely average throughout the whole series, and I thought her performance this week as a real weak link. I even found her whole invite to that party, largely implausible; the whole high class hooker thing, top of the tree crumpet, whereas McAdam came across (I thought) as distinctly dowdy. Also, for a high class gang bang attended by the rich and powerful, with the grounds being patrolled by machine gun toting mutherfuckers, McAdam's easy escape from the place was hugely doubtful.

Enjoyed the opening scene though, even though it was very Heat-lite.

...Reminiscent, at times, of David Lynch's Mullholland Drive (!).

Ha, exactly what I thought. The rambling, dis-coherent nature of the whole thing is very similar.

Gotta give Vaughan a bit of credit, too, after slamming him earlier. He was loads better in this episode, especially (as Paul said) in the scene with the kid. Proper convincing bit of acting that, really felt as if he was struggling to hold it together.

I've enjoyed this series all the way. Reminiscent, at times, of David Lynch's Mullholland Drive (!).

Yes, also some motifs felt very reminiscent of Twin Peaks to me

Protagonist getting shot as a cliffhanger, next episode starts with a dream sequence.

The whole "brothel" scene felt similar to One Eyed Jacks.

McAdams (sp?) and her dad vs Audrey and Ben Horne.

There were some other scenes, but they escape me atm.

• Upvote 1

It's all TOO dark and fucking miserable.Its unrelenting misery is just boring.Not a fucking patch on series one, but I still want to see Vaughns missus' snatch.

Not seen this yet and came in to the thread to ask if it was worth watching and saw this.

Wider question but is it me or do shows these days try and out "misery" each other. It's Prob started before but I think a lot has to do with the GoT effect where everyone was talking about how life like and miserable it can be (while totally addictive) but it actually has some great moments of levity to break it up.

Don't get me wrong I like a realistic show but a bit of light at the end of the tunnel would be nice now and again.

Anyway is this worth the effort?

It's all TOO dark and fucking miserable.Its unrelenting misery is just boring.Not a fucking patch on series one, but I still want to see Vaughns missus' snatch.

Season 1 was hardly laugh a minute stuff. What do you expect from a show about the existential despair of murder police?