You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The apologists justification for the lies seemd to be that if we told everyone he was for sale it would have reduced his selling price.

Except we then loaned him out with 6wks to go which sort makes the argument a tad silly.

Dennis, you carry on mate. You cling onto the incompetence theory you've trumped up. You're ignorant of the facts, and you're hypothesis, while plausible, is unlikely. I'm no apologist for FSG, Rodgers or Ayre. I just think that there's a more plausible explanation..

The apologists justification for the lies seemd to be that if we told everyone he was for sale it would have reduced his selling price.

Except we then loaned him out with 6wks to go which sort makes the argument a tad silly.

Last season Rodgers told the truth about Carroll, that he didn't want him, and most on here were criticising him for lowering his transfer market value. This summer he has tried to do it another way & people are still criticising him. Seems like some people dislike Rodgers and will put a negative spin on whatever he does?

Last season Rodgers told the truth about Carroll, that he didn't want him, and most on here were criticising him for lowering his transfer market value. This summer he has tried to do it another way & people are still criticising him. Seems like some people dislike Rodgers and will put a negative spin on whatever he does?

So, we've increased Reina's value by loaning him out?

Or do you honestly think that is the best deal we could have got for him thanks to Rodgers' sales technique?

Not at all I thought it silly and needless making those comments, just as it was silly and needless making those comments on Reina being competition etc.

However I am full of praise that he got rid of him, I was happy with Carrolls loan even if some werent, he's shite and we needed rid, there was little point having him on the bench. I wasnt happy that they didnt get a replacement in when perhaps they could have for little money or on a free transfer there were a number of players we could have gone for.

Its not all black and white I will point out either way but this deal is madness.

Reina is not Carroll this is a totally different situation.

It's obviously a bit of a cock up

Basically, yes. It's bad planning and leaves Rodgers looking like a bit of a tit for the 2nd summer in a row. 'I've consulted Pepe about bringing in competition for him.'

Does the left hand know what the right is doing?

We have yank businessmen and a Huddersfield Town failure running the show. These cock ups seem par for the course.

It's frustrating to see and I think it's OK to show dissent.

Told the truth about Carroll, hahaha! Nice one. Seems you forgot this:

"There is absolutely no chance [of a loan deal] - and certainly not Newcastle"

"I need a minimum of three strikers. Once the window shuts, that is it until January. I have got (Luis) Suarez, Fabio Borini, and Andy Carroll.

"I would need to be a nutcase even to consider at this moment to let Carroll go out, unless there are other solutions for that."

What happened in the end? Yes, he did let Carroll go and on loan, no, he didn't replace him. Rodgers is a fucking bullshitter, a fucking bullshitter end of. And, an absolute nutcase as well it seems, as per his own admission.

I don't know if this point has been made already and I'm not prepared to wade through 18 pages of posts to find out, but....

Rodger, Ayre and FSG take a bow.

Pepe has played the game and lost out big time. Fuck him. He can uproot his wife and kids and fuck off to Napoli for twelve months for thinking that he is bigger than the club.

What the club have done is draw a line in the sand and told all and sundry that LFC are bigger than they are and they fuck with us at their peril.

About time.

Real? Barca? Who the fuck do they think they are? If they want one of our players then they should be doing it the proper way. Best way to put a stop to what they are doing is exactly what the club have done to Pepe. The next time Real or Barca start whispering in a player/agent's ear maybe they will consider the bird in their hand rather than the two in the bush.

Fuck 'em.

Nice one LFC.

Told the truth about Carroll' date=' hahaha! Nice one. Seems you forgot this:

"There is absolutely no chance [of a loan deal'] - and certainly not Newcastle"

"I need a minimum of three strikers. Once the window shuts, that is it until January. I have got (Luis) Suarez, Fabio Borini, and Andy Carroll.

"I would need to be a nutcase even to consider at this moment to let Carroll go out, unless there are other solutions for that."

What happened in the end? Yes, he did let Carroll go and on loan, no, he didn't replace him. Rodgers is a fucking bullshitter, a fucking bullshitter end of. And, an absolute nutcase as well it seems, as per his own admission.

Remember when Kenny said Downing was even better than he thought when he signed him?

Is he a bullshitter as well?

Or do we cut football managers a bit of slack when they're talking to the press?

Napoli are paying Reina £3,4M in wages, thats £65K a week, we are paying the rest.

Mignolet is not playing for free, my guess is he must be one something like £60K at least.

On top of that we paid £9M for him.

How does this make sense financially again?

Napoli are paying Reina £3' date='4M in wages, thats £65K a week, we are paying the rest.

Mignolet is not playing for free, my guess is he must be one something like £60K at least.

On top of that we paid £9M for him.

How does this make sense financially again?[/quote']

We're saving 3.4m (according to you) on wages. We signed Mignolet to be first choice

If you buy somthing for £1000 and then sell it for £1000 you have not earned £1000.

After we signed Mignolet we couldn't afford to have a backup keeper on 100k or whatever it is. Not that hard to comprehend, surely?

I think the reason for the disconnect in rationale between some on here is that 1 group of people think Pepe Reina is a better goalkeeper than Simon Mignolet. The others think he's no longer good enough.

This deal will never make sense at all, never mind financially, to the first group of people. There's no point going back and forth on it - time and results will prove Brendan right or wrong. If Simon is great for us, everybody will quickly forget the rather boring details of how he came to be here.

Remember when Kenny said Downing was even better than he thought when he signed him?

Is he a bullshitter as well?

Or do we cut football managers a bit of slack when they're talking to the press?

That's completely and utterly different. That's like Rodgers talking up Borini as the greatest physical specimen of a footballer. That's pure misjudgement, I can forgive that, every manager makes these from time to time (Ferguson comparing Bellion to Henry anyone), some more than others. The competition bullshit was just a blatant lie, no matter how some may try to turn it around. It's not as if Mignolet suddenly beat off the competition in the last couple of weeks, when Reina was never even there to compete for the first spot not even in training, is it? Just a fucking blatant lie.

This is the kind of contentious loan deal i doubt we'll ever hear anything absolutely concrete about.

The italian side will be saying they're getting a great deal' date=' over on these shores the club'll be leaking that it's a massive saving, but it'll all be bullshit that only those eager to argue will want to sift through and pick the peanuts out of the PR turds.

He was a good keeper, not the greatest but better than we'd had for a few years, and i wish him well. I hope Mignolet matches Pepe's best form.[/quote']

Might not be the case, for some reason italian clubs usually detail the new contracts in their annual reports. I don't know if it's a regulatory thing but look a the detail on the Borini deal from Parma to Roma in this https://www.asroma.it/pdf/corporate/bilanci_e_relazioni/2012_-_05_-15__Interim_report_on_operations_as_at_31_march_2012.pdf

Basically, yes. It's bad planning and leaves Rodgers looking like a bit of a tit for the 2nd summer in a row. 'I've consulted Pepe about bringing in competition for him.'

Does the left hand know what the right is doing?

We have yank businessmen and a Huddersfield Town failure running the show. These cock ups seem par for the course.

It's frustrating to see and I think it's OK to show dissent.

I don't really see how it's frustrating.

Manager wanted new goalkeeper, partly because he thought old goalkeeper was likely to want to leave. We bought a new goalkeeper quickly.

Old goalkeeper's transfer to Barca didn't happen, so we loaned him out to Napoli instead.

In an ideal world we'd have sold Reina, but the manager got the goalkeeper he wanted, so where's the big problem?

If we'd sold Reina and replaced him with no-one that would have been frustrating.

That's completely and utterly different. That's like Rodgers talking up Borini as the greatest physical specimen of a footballer. That's pure misjudgement, I can forgive that, every manager makes these from time to time (Ferguson comparing Bellion to Henry anyone), some more than others. The competition bullshit was just a blatant lie, no matter how some may try to turn it around. It's not as if Mignolet suddenly beat off the competition in the last couple of weeks, when Reina was never even there to compete for the first spot not even in training, is it? Just a fucking blatant lie.

You either need to grow up, or stop watching or reading manager's press conferences.

You either need to grow up, or stop watching or reading manager's press conferences.

Very constructive, thanks. Was that the best you've got?

That said maybe Rodgers could take that advice and start reading about how other managers handle press conferences. Wouldn't do him any harm.

Edited by Red House

I don't really see how it's frustrating.

Manager wanted new goalkeeper, partly because he thought old goalkeeper was likely to want to leave. We bought a new goalkeeper quickly.

Old goalkeeper's transfer to Barca didn't happen, so we loaned him out to Napoli instead.

In an ideal world we'd have sold Reina, but the manager got the goalkeeper he wanted, so where's the big problem?

If we'd sold Reina and replaced him with no-one that would have been frustrating.

Frustrating in the sense that those in charge don't seem to know better than since their last cock up. For some it's about a complete lack of trust. The club's transfer policy still lacks clarity and still smacks of reactionary decision making.

The manager spoke about providing competition for Reina. Reading between the lines the 'consultation' was designed to edge Reina closer to the door. Then any deal to Barca falls through. The manager explains it was a financial decision to loan Reina to Napoli. We're told it's impossible for us to have 2 big wages for one position. Fair enough, so why not plan things accordingly to avoid such a situation and if the unforeseen happens you have a contingency that ensures we make the most of any sale involving Reina. Instead, we apparently alert Napoli to the idea of a loan first and now seems we have less money in an already limited transfer budget. It's difficult to join the dots and make sense of the plus points. Hopefully it doesn't impact too much on other possible incoming transfers we hope to make.

I would call it another episode in a series of bad planning.

Very constructive' date=' thanks. Was that the best you've got?

That said maybe Rodgers could take that advice and start reading about how other managers handle press conferences. Wouldn't do him any harm.[/quote']

They all handle the press in pretty much exactly the same way.

How's it a cock up? Mignolet was signed as a replacement. As far as I can tell there's nobody else in for Reina and I find it very hard to believe the club specifically suggested a loan deal to Napoli.

If that's the only offer on the table then I don't see that we have much choice.

Where's the cock up?

Frustrating in the sense that those in charge don't seem to know better than since their last cock up.

Well, I would say they have learned because the last cock up involved shipping out a player on the last day of the window and fucking about instead of getting a replacement in. If anything they swung too far the other way.

Hopefully it doesn't impact too much on other possible incoming transfers we hope to make.

I would call it another episode in a series of bad planning.

Yeah, that's the most important thing. I figure if the manager gets the right budget to get the players he wants then this is a fuss over a small issue. If it fucks up getting an important player in (a la Carroll/Dempsey) then obviously it's a load of bollocks.

How's it a cock up? Mignolet was signed as a replacement. As far as I can tell there's nobody else in for Reina and I find it very hard to believe the club specifically suggested a loan deal to Napoli.

If that's the only offer on the table then I don't see that we have much choice.

Where's the cock up?

Strange all this spin. I cannot keep up with it. Reina is good enough for Barca, good enough for Napoli but not Liverpool FC or any other club in Europe, according to this logic.

I find it very hard to believe Napoli's initial offer would be a loan deal for a player of Reina's reputation. I find it very difficult to believe Rodgers' preferred option would be to loan the player rather than a sale or keeping him at the club. A week ago I would have found it hard to believe we'd loan out a player of Reina's worth.

Still, apparently Napoli were given the heads up and that's why Julio Cesar's wages suddenly became a 'problem' for them.