You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

1 hour ago, neko said:

there's no egg in a caesar salad....unless you make your own mayonnaise ?

Boiled (or even poached) egg on a caesar salad surely?  And there's no mayonnaise, unless you mean the caesar dressing?

Or have I been living a heathen salad life?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Of course there is fella. I don't consider it mayonnaise, it is proper Caeser dressing.

okay - technically you're correct. A caesar salad dressing is very much like mayonnaise though.

I tried making my own mayonnaise once, and it didn't work that well, so I use that with olive oil, anchovies, lemon, garlic, pepper, worcestershire and parmesan (sometimes mustard and hot sauce).

The mayo makes it creamier, but I might try the traditional egg again.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, neko said:

okay - technically you're correct. A caesar salad dressing is very much like mayonnaise though.

I tried making my own mayonnaise once, and it didn't work that well, so I use that with olive oil, anchovies, lemon, garlic, pepper, worcestershire and parmesan (sometimes mustard and hot sauce).

The mayo makes it creamier, but I might try the traditional egg again.

I am a caeser fanatic - make it at least 4 times a week. Got to go to the original Caeser's in Tijuana years ago. Good but the best I have had is here in Florida at Euphemia Haye.

Problem with using store bought mayo in it is those are full of soybean oil and added vinegars, unless you choose one of the olive oil versions it is outright blasphemy. Even then....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am a caeser fanatic - make it at least 4 times a week. Got to go to the original Caeser's in Tijuana years ago. Good but the best I have had is here in Florida at Euphemia Haye.

Problem with using store bought mayo in it is those are full of soybean oil and added vinegars, unless you choose one of the olive oil versions it is outright blasphemy. Even then....

give us a recipe then....

On 06/04/2022 at 22:26, TheHowieLama said:

Its a french fry sandwich - get in the bin.

There’s nothing French about that. They’re crinkle cut chips and they’re incredible with vinegar, red sauce and - as my old dear Nan would’ve called it - “a slice”.

god bless you.

58 minutes ago, neko said:

give us a recipe then....

I am sure it is similar to any you would do. Wooden bowl is a must.

For two:

16 romaine leaves, hearts - washed pat dry and then chilled in fridge.

Garlic clove - pasted with a pinch of sea salt

3 tb virgin olive oil

3 anchovy fillets - pasted

Juice of 1 fresh lemon

Dash of Worcestershire

1 tb dijon mustard

1 egg yolk

Shaved reggiano

Fresh ground black pepper to taste

The leaves are whole, not torn. I usually do the dressing all together, pushing it up the sides of the bowl to mix but if you want to go traditional coat the leaves with the oil first.

Cardini's recipe does not use mustard or garlic I think. It has croutons that are rubbed with garlic. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

There’s nothing French about that. They’re crinkle cut chips and they’re incredible with vinegar, red sauce and - as my old dear Nan would’ve called it - “a slice”.

god bless you.

I got bad news - those are frozen fries. Nothing chip about those little fellas.

3 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

god bless you.

What about salt? Chips without salt and vinegar is unthinkable.

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

What about salt? Chips without salt and vinegar is unthinkable.

I don’t know how I wrote salt and vinegar without the words “salt and” but believe me it was a typo. 

Crinkle cut chips, salt, vinegar, ketchup and ‘a slice’.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The leaves are whole, not torn. I usually do the dressing all together, pushing it up the sides of the bowl to mix but if you want to go traditional coat the leaves with the oil first.

I read that in the voice of Nigella Lawson. Now I've got a semi. 

31 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am sure it is similar to any you would do. Wooden bowl is a must.

For two:

16 romaine leaves, hearts - washed pat dry and then chilled in fridge.

Garlic clove - pasted with a pinch of sea salt

3 tb virgin olive oil

3 anchovy fillets - pasted

Juice of 1 fresh lemon

Dash of Worcestershire

1 tb dijon mustard

1 egg yolk

Shaved reggiano

Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Cardini's recipe does not use mustard or garlic I think. It has croutons that are rubbed with garlic. 

Grand.

Your thoughts on kale caesar salad ? I quite like them.

• Upvote 1