You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

I wish I was good at football.

Even championship players are on a cracking wedge.

The average is £200k a year for a championship player. That's not actually that much when you consider the relatively short career players have and taking in to account a lot of players will drop down to leagues 1 and 2 when they got older. Plus half of that disappears in tax.

Some will of course go the other way and get a good contract with in the top flight but there's a lot of players outside the premier league who don't earn that much more than Joe Public.

£46 million for Ozil is mental. A good player no doubt but that good? No way. And not at all what Arsenal need.

Do you not think if players like willian are 30-odd mil, someone like ozil is worth another 10-15m? I agree it's a mental fee, but he would feel more a sure thing than willian. Just seems top players have jumped in price this summer to me.

The average is £200k a year for a championship player. That's not actually that much when you consider the relatively short career players have and taking in to account a lot of players will drop down to leagues 1 and 2 when they got older. Plus half of that disappears in tax.

Some will of course go the other way and get a good contract with in the top flight but there's a lot of players outside the premier league who don't earn that much more than Joe Public.

200k a year. Bear in mind that wouldnt include signing on fees and sponsorship deals. If they have any sense and real financial advisers 50 % of that wont be goong anywhere near the tax coffers.

Thats a lot more than Joe Public considering the median wage in the country is around 20k a year.

There won't be much more. We may look to bring one more in and we're just waiting on the go-ahead for that from the other club, but apart from that we did a lot of work early and haven't tried to leave it all to this mad day which sees the whole of football go berserk. We've tried to be controlled and get the players in as early as we possibly could. It means I can go and enjoy a nice evening at the Bill Shankly dinner and look forward to seeing some of the great players of the past and some members of Bill's family. should be a good evening with all the signings done.

Think it's safe to say no one to get excited about will be signing tonight.

Shay Given the maybe I'd think. I don't even think he was a big club keeper in his prime and them days are long gone. Still he's no worse than Jones and hopefully Mignolet will stay fit all season so it's not really going to matter much.

Disappointing we couldn't or didn't sign any clear attacking improvements.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Pretty happy, but not overjoyed. That's my opinion on the window. It's a building process, and we are in far better shape now than a year ago when he took over.

Do you not think if players like willian are 30-odd mil, someone like ozil is worth another 10-15m? I agree it's a mental fee, but he would feel more a sure thing than willian. Just seems top players have jumped in price this summer to me.

The valuations of players this summer has been a bit mental I think. You've got Arsenal trying to sign Suarez for 40m and thinking that was acceptable to the point all sorts of people are piping up about it. This is a player the club dont want to sell etc. Anzhi put all their players on the transfer list and still get 30m for a player with barely any international caps and unproven in any big league in Europe. Arsenal then go and pay a reported fee more than they are willing to pay for Suarez for a player deemed surplus to requirements at Real Madrid.

I can't believe people aren't laughing their tits off at this fee. They are paying nearly 50m quid for Ozil. He's a good player but is he adding 50m worth of value to that team? Is he shite. I'm sure that's going in the top ten most expensive players ever. It's got panic buy/luxury player written all over it when that's the last thing they need.

They've gone to this level for Ozil but didn't think Suarez was worth it. Very fucking odd indeed.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You'd have to be a very very good player to improve our strongest 11 now. That's not been the case for a while.

Very true, that is. Stronger 11, stronger squad. We are back to the stage now where it has to be two players maximum per window. Rather than six players worth 10m each, we need two worth 30m.

Decent transfer window....but what bothers me though is where we will be at should Sturridge get a bad injury and/or Suarez acts like a dick and gets banned again or sulks and plays shite.

Might not happen but should it happen we could be left pretty short of attacking options.

So reasonably satisfied with business done but not overjoyed.

The thing is, Spurs and Arsenal have brought in players we could only dream about. Brendan's really going to have to get this squad to gel quick and get them playing above there level as a team to finish in the top four. If he does it this season it'll be a massive achievement. I'd be happy enough with a good challenge and decent showings in the cups this season tbh, 6th in the league is about par for this team.

The biggest gripe I've got with this window is we're more then likely going to lose Suarez next summer, and it's only going to get harder to spend that money on quality. One really good attacking option could have got us in the top four this season and not left us in such a pickle next summer.

At least this season should be much better than the write off that was 2012/13.