You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Playstation 4

Sut

• 2 weeks later...
Putting it in here, since it might have some implications on the above.

Both Amazon and Apple has recently been gotten patents for buying and selling used digital media, i.e. could be used games, but also songs and ebooks etc. So I doubt the used market will be gone. Obviously just because someone gets a patent on something doesn't mean it will happen, especially Apple is known for this, but it does suggest that something might happen in this space, within the not too distant future.

Apple, Amazon get patents to offer ‘used’ digital goods | TechBlog | a Chron.com blog

Adobe Systems move marks end of packaged software sales ADBE AAPL - Investors.com

And you know that when even Adobe finds out that discs are a dead platform, that soon lots of other players will too.

Thought this might as well go in here:

New 'always on, always connected' Durango SDK leak is real | News | Edge Online

New ‘always on, always connected’ Durango SDK leak is real

Fresh documents posted on vgleaks.com related to the next Xbox are real, our source has confirmed.

Our insider described the screengrabs from the Durango SDK on vgleaks.com as “entirely legitimate”, although they contain much of the same information we revealed on February 6th, and were circulated to developers working with the console last year.

The ‘Durango Hardware Overview’ section re-iterates that Microsoft’s next-generation console – codenamed Durango – will be “always on, always connected”.

“Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use,” the document reads. “The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this “Always On, Always Connected” design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install games.”

The new leak also tallies with our original story in that it confirms the new console will be bundled with a new, improved Kinect and also include a Blu-Ray disc drive.

It does reveal, however, that all games on Blu-Ray will be installed onto the console’s hard drive, and that play from the optical disc will not be supported. Game players will, however, be able to play games as they are being installed on the console.

I'd also read stuff about the new Xbox having all these 'always on' aspects, including a rumour that Kinect must be activated and always on so that the console can be used.

Xbox 720 Specs - Rumoured

The next-gen console wars rage on, in spite of the lack of a next-gen announcement from Microsoft. These latest details focus on the Xbox 720, and not all of them are good news.

The latest Xbox 720 rumours come once again from VGLeaks, a site that has revealed a number of details surrounding next-gen consoles PS4 and Xbox 720.

These latest details surround the Xbox 720 devkits, claiming that an always-on internet connection and mandatory Kinect will be required to use the Xbox 720 - a pair of rumours that have been suggested before from other sources.

Additionally system interaction with the controls has been "simplified" for "noncore gamers", while the ability to play your games from an optical disc has been removed - all games will be installed to the hard drive.

VGLeaks has posted a series of images of the Xbox 720 devkit software installation, but the most interesting is the Durango Hardware Overview - Durango is believed to be the internal name for Microsoft's next-gen Xbox.

Here's the many details the Durango Hardware Overview text alludes to.

Xbox 720 Hardware Tech Specs

• x64 in architecture (the PS4 is confirmed to be a hybrid of x84-64)
  • Will include "move engines", intended to increase the speed by which the Xbox 720 will access data.
  • These move engines can perform "common game tasks like compression and decompression".
  • The Xbox 720 will include dedicated hardware support for audio processing, to "reduce the amount of CPU time that must be devoted to audio".
  • Audio output will be all digital-7.1 discrete PCM output through HDMI and S/PD0F.
  • The Xbox 720's GPU provides "considerable computing power" and will support Direct3D 11.
  • Will draw minimal power when not in use, and will have "different power states".
  • Like the PS4, the Xbox 720 is designed to be ready instantly whenever the user wants to play.
  • Every Xbox 720 will have an internal hard drive, though "its exact capacity has not been chosen". It will, however be large enough "to hold a large number of games".
  • "Play from the optical disc will not be supported", suggesting all games will be installed to the hard drive.
  • The Xbox 720 will have a Blu-Ray drive, but this is purely for distribution only. Games will not access content from the optical disc.
  • An installation system is apparently being designed to enable the user to start playing the game while it is being installed to the hard drive.

Xbox 720 Always-On Internet Connection

• The Xbox 720 will "always maintain a network connection".
  • This is to ensure the "game software and games are always current" - suggesting the Xbox 720 will automatically download patches and updates.
  • The overview describes this approach as "Always On, Always Connected".
  • The Xbox 720 will not require waiting for a restart or installation of updates.

Xbox 720's Kinect Details

• Every Xbox 720 will be sold with a "new high-fidelity Kinect Sensor".
  • The overview states that the new Kinect will be "required for the system to operate".
  • The Xbox 720 Kinect will have "new depth sensor technology" to provide better screen resolution and "less noisy" depth data.
  • The new Kinect will include an active infrared illumination...
  • High-quality monochrome images even in low light conditions...
  • And a wider field of view for use in smaller spaces.
  • The new Kinect will no longer need a tilt function.
  • The Xbox 720 will come with the necessary API software to enable Natural User Interface for skeleton tracking and identity. This means the Xbox 720 won't need to allocate hardware resources to the NUI.

New Xbox 720 Controller

• The Xbox 720 controller will be a redesigned improvement on the "best-in-class" Xbox 360 controller.
  • It will include low-latency wireless connectivity to the Xbox 720.
  • It will include "improved ergonomics".
  • Additionally, Xbox 720 system interactions will be "simplified to make them easier for noncore gamers".

We obviously can't confirm how valid all of these details are. We've included the screenshot below, but be sure to head over to VGLeaks to see the others that appeared alongside it.

• 2 months later...
There had to be a negative in the Sony conference at E3... It would appear that you will need PS+ to play online multiplayer games.

"PS4 gamers who aren’t Plus members can still enjoy single-player games for free…and access to media services won’t require Plus"

PlayStation on Twitter.

There had to be a negative in the Sony conference at E3... It would appear that you will need PS+ to play online multiplayer games.

Oh, and Destiny looks fucking awesome!

Well, I've been reading bit on their new streaming service, Gakai and apparently it essentially means you can stream play games or something like that. Servers for multiplayer and content in general will be a fortune!

I'm in the "what's best for me?" camp and right now Sony have watched Microsoft make mistakes and just done the opposite. Microsoft's biggest mistake is not the online stuff or the pay for pre-owned games, it's bundling Kinect with it, which in turn has jacked the price up.

I'd expect heavy discounting from Microsoft if they start to lose out as now seems certain.

I just have more loyalty to Sony after the PS1 and PS2 and after my Xbox 360 went kaput after it was about 18 months old. My PS3 has never let me down, touch wood, and is in my opinion every bit as good and sometimes better than the Xbox 360.

I'd expect heavy discounting from Microsoft if they start to lose out as now seems certain.

I just have more loyalty to Sony after the PS1 and PS2 and after my Xbox 360 went kaput after it was about 18 months old. My PS3 has never let me down, touch wood, and is in my opinion every bit as good and sometimes better than the Xbox 360.

I think Xbox Live is far better than PSN and Microsoft's achievement system is better than PS Trophies. My original PS3 broke after the blu-ray drive died after 9 months, they tried to charge me for a replacement but eventually they relented and it was free. My Xbox has broken twice, both times it was because of things other than the RROD which meant full charges.

Despite all that I still prefer the Xbox 360 to the PS3, mainly because of it's pad and achievement system. I don't have brand loyalty any more but I'd confess I've never loved any Sony system despite them all being high quality. I had a PS1 but, even now, I believe that my Saturn was a much more fun system. I bought the PS2 a few months after launch but when I bought the Xbox I was smitten by it's built in memory and high quality build. The PS3 is a great machine and it possesses one of my favourite series with Uncharted but I just prefer the Xbox pad and achievements.

Right now, I'll buy the PS3 on or close to launch and wait for the inevitable Xbox One price drop. Just like I'll wait for Wii U's drop although there's so little games for that, that it could be dead in the water if Nintendo aren't careful. Courting the casual audience was immensely successful for the Wii but it's a dangerous game because casual users aren't that interested about upgrading, if they even know that the Wii U exists.

Always been a Sony man. I'm far from a fanboy but the way Microsoft have tried fucking over gamers this time round and seeing as how they will most likely lose millions and millions due to their greed will be a great site to see.