You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Smart Tv's advice.

Anny Road

Bought an LG a while back ad delighted with it.

Normally I'm a bit of a snob and would go for a Sony/Sammy, but the LG is spot on. It's passive 3D too, so the kids can fuck around with the cheapo glasses and it only costs a quid to replace them! Got 11 pairs with it anyway!

Samsung UE40ES5500 40-inch 1080P Full HD Smart LED TV with Freeview (New for 2012): Amazon.co.uk: TV

Not a bad option at 40 inch. I'm not convinced the tv's are that smart yet but you can see the services you can get if you plug it into your router.

I might be tempted next time with a 46 as they've managed to shrink the boarder of the tv by about 50 (and just not tell the missus)

If you're gonna go Amazon, make sure you check out the Amazon warehouse http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=sc_ca_c_7_0_304071031_2?ie=UTF8&me=A2OAJ7377F756P&no=304071031&node=1352986031

They basically resell stuff that's been returned, and tell you the faults if any. They can vary from Used - Like New to Used - Good.

As an example, the one Bri linked to above is normally £448. The same on is available Used - As New from the warehouse for £421.34 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B007JURFRK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2OAJ7377F756P Also with the warehouse you get the normal manufacturer warranty, but you get an extended 30 day return as opposed to their usual 7 days.

Cheers lads. The Samsung looks no not bad. I've always been a badge snob but someone was telling me LG makes most of the screens for everyone anyway and most other firms just add in there own operating system. May go Lg.

And there in lies the difference. Picture quality is as much dependant on the processing as the actual display. Have to admit I'm a bit of a Sony/Panasonic snob myself, tend to think you get what you pay for in the long run.

My dad replaced a 5 yr old 26" Panasonic with a 2012 32" Samsung. The Panny had every connection you would ever want, the new Samsung doesn't even have a headphone socket!

Samsung UE40ES5500 40-inch 1080P Full HD Smart LED TV with Freeview (New for 2012): Amazon.co.uk: TV

Not a bad option at 40 inch. I'm not convinced the tv's are that smart yet but you can see the services you can get if you plug it into your router.

I might be tempted next time with a 46 as they've managed to shrink the boarder of the tv by about 50 (and just not tell the missus)

Your right about smart tvs at the moment not being up to much.

I would check that the freeview on the tv above is the freeview HD as if it isnt I personally wouldnt touch it.

Honestly mate, I was asking the same thing last year and ended up mooching around for similar...until I bought one of these :

WESTERN DIGITAL WD TV Live WiFi Streaming Media Player | Pixmania UK

Unbelievable piece of kit, massively user friendly, absolute quality and cheap as fuck.

My Media Player has transformed my Sammy 42" Plasma into a full on smart tv.

Cannot recommend highly enough.

If you're gonna go Amazon, make sure you check out the Amazon warehouse Amazon.co.uk: TV - TV & Home Cinema: LCD/LED 37-43" (94-109 cm), LCD/LED 32 - 36" (81-90 cm), Projectors & More

They basically resell stuff that's been returned, and tell you the faults if any. They can vary from Used - Like New to Used - Good.

As an example, the one Bri linked to above is normally £448. The same on is available Used - As New from the warehouse for £421.34 Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Samsung UE40ES5500 40-inch 1080P Full HD Smart LED TV with Freeview (New for 2012) Also with the warehouse you get the normal manufacturer warranty, but you get an extended 30 day return as opposed to their usual 7 days.

Was just about to post this myself.

I got a 40" smart Sony a couple of years back described as 'used-like new' for £260 and it was in pristine condition other than a slightly damaged box. Saved me £140 off the normal Amazon price.

I think it only had a 90 day warranty though but it's still going strong today.

It's defo worth checking though, as Lario said you get 30 day no quibble return if you're not satisfied. No brainer for me.

Guest ShoePiss

If you have netflix, amazon instant video accounts etc the 'smart' tv feature is a nice, convenient addition. I have a HTPC connected but I find it's a lot easier to just use the remote rather than the wireless keyboard to access netflix/AIV etc.

Also, it's wife proof and doesn't require switching inputs. All they have to do is hit the big green 'Internet' button and they can watch The Hills/some other inane shite without having to bother me at all

Honestly mate, I was asking the same thing last year and ended up mooching around for similar...until I bought one of these :

Unbelievable piece of kit, massively user friendly, absolute quality and cheap as fuck.

Like the look of this. Can you download torrents straight onto it?

Like the look of this. Can you download torrents straight onto it?

Not that one, but it's big brother (only a little more expensive) I believe you can.

I download onto my memory stick and plug that into the USB on the front, and my 1 terabyte hard drive into the USB on the back.

Really brilliant little piece of kit and massively easy to use.

Just bought one of these. Going to use it down tairs for now then fire it upstairs with my telly when I eventually get a new one. Tah lads.