You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers Out

Red22

Err, what sort of argument would you like? I said they werent good enough and they werent no matter how you tried to present them. And Rodgers did inherit a poor squad for the money that was spent on it, its blindingly fucking obvious he did. Just because this group of players was playing well from August to January doesnt excuse the fact 18 points were collected from 19 games at the back end of the season. It was shocking and was getting worse each week. (Im using August to January because the players he used at the back end of 2011 were totally different to the ones he used last season).

Are you at all prepared to factor in the Suarez saga as possibly contributing to some of that lack of form Robbbie? Because I am certain that there is a correlation there.

We shipped two of our goalscorers out because they were unhappy at the club because of their lack of playing time in a side that generally struggled for goals over the season. That really wasn't FSG or Rodgers fault.

It was FSG's fault we didn't get replacements in though.

Not sure what any of it is to do with Rodgers really.

We had three months to sort out a striker it wasn't all just on the last two days.

And besides Rodgers has a cheek crying about Carroll going after some of the contradictory bullshit he came out with prior to him going.

And he has a bigger fucking cheek crying about no strikers when he spent the last day of the transfer window trying to sign a midfielder and trying to offload one of the few remaining strikers in Pacheco.

Rodgers has a fair bit of responsibility to shoulder for the fuck up that was our summer transfer policy.

January is key, for both Rodgers and FSG and our attitude towards them both.

Personally, and this is very much my own take on it, I think the club will push forward when Gerrard retires.

There's far, far too much expected of him, and while we've got him those expectations will not diminish and we will still have a very distorted expectation of both him and the team that is always built around him.

I think we need that ground zero moment, when we're left with a squad of players of equal standing who take on a collective responsibility to win games and lead their fellow players.

Rodgers also needs to come clean on the Assaidi and Sahin thing, because right now it's just downright fucking unacceptable that we're relying on Sterling and Shelvey to dig us out of a hole when we've got two experienced and highly rated players ready and waiting to play instead.

Considering how much we fought to get Sahin, it's fucking mental that we're now freezing him out, having apparently played him in the wrong position until now anyway.

But I'm more than a little concerned about what happens if we sack yet another manager, because the last pool of applicants wasn't especially good, so we'll be dropping down yet another level after this. I get the feeling that Carragher will put his hat in the ring.

To be fair to Rodgers, none of us saw today coming, so it's not like we were due a hammering. It's just one of those results.

Got to disagree with you on that one: it was obvious. It's not like we don't have previous for putting together a piss weak run of wins and believing we win conquer all only to then fuck up in the next match. We laugh about Ingurland fans but we do the same thing in getting hyped about nothing.

But I'm more than a little concerned about what happens if we sack yet another manager, because the last pool of applicants wasn't especially good, so we'll be dropping down yet another level after this. I get the feeling that Carragher will put his hat in the ring.

Fair comment.

There was a case that if we were going to go the "trainee manager" route then a Carragher/DOF combination had merit.

Next time around I have no doubt that Carra will be a contender, for better, or worse. Available, here, no contract release issues, knows the club the script is writ.

Got to disagree with you on that one: it was obvious. It's not like we don't have previous for putting together a piss weak run of wins and believing we win conquer all only to then fuck up in the next match. We laugh about Ingurland fans but we do the same thing in getting hyped about nothing.

Are you knocking back to back wins against Southampton and West Ham?

All this shit after a loss. What a bunch of hideous cunts.

Yes, one loss, that's why everyone's upset, not the whole dreadful season taken as a whole; a single result, not the fact that we have made literally no progress since FSG took over, being stuck on the same amount of points as Hodgson after 17 games. No white knight to rescue us like last time though, we gave him his P45.

Fair comment.

There was a case that if we were going to go the "trainee manager" route then a Carragher/DOF combination had merit.

Next time around I have no doubt that Carra will be a contender, for better, or worse. Available, here, no contract release issues, knows the club the script is writ.

FWIW, I still believe in Rodgers, even if some of his players don't.

But the next stop should either be someone like Klopp, but I think that's a pipedream, so I'd be happy with the Carragher/DOF set-up.

But the relationship triangle... manager/ DOF / CEO... has to work, they have to respect each other and want to work together and have to want the club to be successful. I've yet to see a really good shout for DoF. We have players of great ability in the past who we can call on, but that really shouldn't be enough to secure you a DoF position at a top club, they need relevant training and experience. I fail to really see anyone of our past players being eligible, perhaps Toshack as a very outside shout.

So naturally we start to look outside of past players, and that's when you have to start questioning their desire to see us successful, to put in 100%, to really give a shit when something isnt working. And that's why I wasn't keen on Van Gaal and his ilk, just tired old men with vast knowledge and experience but really are just looking for one last big pay cheque before proper retirement.

Lock this fucking thread. An embarrassment.

I'd be amazed if the OPs' ever paid money to go and watch the side.

How the fuck it's reached 5 pages I don't fucking know. We've got to be the most melodramatic, manic-depressive supporters on the planet.

I agree with your concern that there is no obvious upgrade to Rodgers.

We have had four managers now in two and a half years, another manager now wouldl just be rearranging the furniture.

I agree, I've expressed my reservations on here but I do recognise that he is effectively our 'trainee' manager. Rightly or wrongly I just don't see any sense in getting rid of him not withstanding that the fact that there really aren't any upgrades out there.

He needs to be backed by the club in the next two windows, if they don't FSG are wasting everyone's time with this. There's no way he'll survive long term without it.

More importantly for me though is just for christ's sake if we could just have a window where we actually spend available funds well.

Regardless of what's gone before, with regards to Kenny and Rodgers' appointment, I just cannot fathom any possible reason why anyone would want him sacked. It baffles me that people could think that replacing managers on such a frequent basis is anyway to stabilise the club and start building for something. Today was a bad day, there will be more of that I'm sure but I think we'll have a much better second half of the season and people will be optimistic again.

Err, what sort of argument would you like? I said they werent good enough and they werent no matter how you tried to present them.

I said it was 50-50 between good performances and poor performances. You disagreed and said the poor ones outnumbered the bad ones. I listed what I thought were the good ones, 10 in all out of 19 from January to May, and you disputed just one of them. It's on the Early thoughts on Rodgers thread if you don't remember, starting on page 54.

And Rodgers did inherit a poor squad for the money that was spent on it, its blindingly fucking obvious he did. Just because this group of players was playing well from August to January doesnt excuse the fact 18 points were collected from 19 games at the back end of the season. It was shocking and was getting worse each week. (Im using August to January because the players he used at the back end of 2011 were totally different to the ones he used last season).

I never said it excused the results from last season. I said that if Kenny could have the players at his disposal showing top four form over the course of an entire calendar year, after taking over from an absolute cacker of a manager mid-season, the squad he left for Rodgers can't be as bad as you make out.

In the squad Rodgers inherited, the only players missing from Kenny's first half-season were Meireles, Maxi and Kuyt. To make up for their loss Rodgers had a fit Gerrard, plus Sterling and Suso coming through, plus Adam, Downing and Henderson if he wanted to use them (he has done with two out of the three), plus £25-30m to spend on attacking replacements.

FWIW, I still believe in Rodgers, even if some of his players don't.

But the next stop should either be someone like Klopp, but I think that's a pipedream, so I'd be happy with the Carragher/DOF set-up.

But the relationship triangle... manager/ DOF / CEO... has to work, they have to respect each other and want to work together and have to want the club to be successful. I've yet to see a really good shout for DoF. We have players of great ability in the past who we can call on, but that really shouldn't be enough to secure you a DoF position at a top club, they need relevant training and experience. I fail to really see anyone of our past players being eligible, perhaps Toshack as a very outside shout.

So naturally we start to look outside of past players, and that's when you have to start questioning their desire to see us successful, to put in 100%, to really give a shit when something isnt working. And that's why I wasn't keen on Van Gaal and his ilk, just tired old men with vast knowledge and experience but really are just looking for one last big pay cheque before proper retirement.

I agree that we have no choice other than to hope that Rodgers will work out, and that failure is by no means inevitable.

You make a good point in the manager/dof/ ceo triangle- and there is the weakness. Ayre, like FSG, is afraid of having his inexperience exposed by more capable men. Ayre was delighted to make an appointment of someone with less PL experience than him.

I disagree with you on Van Gaal. Of course there are some veterans only interested in a pay day. But there are others who do it out of genuine love for the game. For me the problem with Van Gaal would have been that neither Ayre nor FSG would have liked what they would have heard about what it will take to return us to the Euro elite.

I never said it excused the results from last season. I said that if Kenny could have the players at his disposal showing top four form over the course of an entire calendar year, after taking over from an absolute cacker of a manager mid-season, the squad he left for Rodgers can't be as bad as you make out.

In the squad Rodgers inherited, the only players missing from Kenny's first half-season were Meireles, Maxi and Kuyt. To make up for their loss Rodgers had a fit Gerrard, plus Sterling and Suso coming through, plus Adam, Downing and Henderson if he wanted to use them (he has done with two out of the three), plus £25-30m to spend on attacking replacements.

But you're not telling the whole story there. He didnt just replace those players with players from the youth team and £4m buys from Blackburn Rovers. He went out and spent £15m on Meireles' replacement, £20m on a winger to replace the Maxi/Kuyt. Both who contributed nowhere near as much as the players they replaced. Thats why I omitted them. So the players he used had a half decent start to last season and shocking end to it.

He didnt use a same group of players for a calendar year. That is your argument and to say he did is a bit misleading.

On top of that, Rodgers had to deal with those two big money flops aswell as another abomination of a signing in Carroll. Thats not even mentioning the owners tightening their purse strings after the previous years spending. He's come into a club that is stuck in midtable and is not being given a fair crack of the whip by some people who are expecting miracles.

Although, to be fair, you're giving him a chance, others arent and its annoying.

He has a contract for a certain period of time, and, just like his predecessor, should be given the full term. Things don't look rosy, and the team is in transition. At some point, the team will be wholly Rodgers'. AT that point, he will be judged according to results of his team.

But you're not telling the whole story there. He didnt just replace those players with players from the youth team and £4m buys from Blackburn Rovers. He went out and spent £15m on Meireles' replacement, £20m on a winger to replace the Maxi/Kuyt. Both who contributed nowhere near as much as the players they replaced. Thats why I omitted him. So the players he used had a half decent start to last season and shocking end to it.

He didnt use a same group of players for a calendar year. That is your argument and to say he did is a bit misleading.

On top of that, Rodgers had to deal with those two big money flops aswell as another abomination of a signing in Carroll. Thats not even mentioning the owners tightening their purse strings after the previous years spending. He's come into a club that is stuck in midtable and is not being given a fair crack of the whip by some people who are expecting miracles.

Although, to be fair, you're giving him a chance, others arent and its annoying.

By the end of this season if current form continues should we be labelling Allen and Borini as big money flops to continue the trend the likes of you seem determined to set?

You call it 'tightening the purse strings' but others would call loaning out Carroll and failing to secure a replacement, gross incompetence.