Quantcast
Depression - Page 89 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've had really bad health anxiety for 2 years now, which I believe partly manifests itself in a variety of physical symptoms, which in turn make me even more anxious. Seen a therapist, been prescribed some pills which I don't take anymore, see my doctor every couple of months because of new symptoms, she does basic tests and sends me home. Rinse repeat. I wouldn't be surprised if I have an undiagnosed chronic illness but I have no idea, in truth.

Don't really know what to do at this point.

What was the therapist’s view on it mate?

10 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

What was the therapist’s view on it mate?

Obviously, the therapist was not qualified to comment on the legitimacy of my physical symptoms. We did some CBT stuff, which in the end I felt was insufficient because I think there is a real chance that my anxiety is linked to an actual disease. In the end, the whole thing (therapy) was just me venting about my fears and the therapist basically telling me not to conjure up cancer diagnosis scenarios in my head (his advice was more cerebral than that, I'm just simplifying it).

It's not the therapist's fault, I just don't think it's helpful in my case.

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

You're making yourself look a fucking tit. 

Just stick to what you said and stop digging ffs. 

37 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Let LFD cure you.  

Why because you’re so narrow minded & disagree? 

I believe I could help yes. But I am past caring to do that based on the replies I’ve received. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It really isn’t. But hey what do I know. 

4 minutes ago, LF:D said:

It really isn’t. But hey what do I know. 

Who are the leading voices in anxiety treatment who have cured 100,000s of people and have taught you how to do so, and what is the right approach to curing anxiety?

Just now, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Who are the leading voices in anxiety treatment who have cured 100,000s of people and have taught you how to do so, and what is the right approach to curing anxiety?

You can find out for 3 monthly payments of £99. Not only that you'll also get a shit gift thrown in as a bonus.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Like fuck I’m telling you after the replies in here. 

If people don't believe, I couldn’t care less. 

I’ve tried to help, I won’t again. 

6 minutes ago, LF:D said:

Like fuck I’m telling you after the replies in here. 

If people don't believe, I couldn’t care less. 

I’ve tried to help, I won’t again. 

It’s a very simple question.

Are we talking Scientology or something else?

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Obviously, the therapist was not qualified to comment on the legitimacy of my physical symptoms. We did some CBT stuff, which in the end I felt was insufficient because I think there is a real chance that my anxiety is linked to an actual disease. In the end, the whole thing (therapy) was just me venting about my fears and the therapist basically telling me not to conjure up cancer diagnosis scenarios in my head (his advice was more cerebral than that, I'm just simplifying it).

In my experience physical symptoms which can’t be explained and, especially, owned by one clinical team via a focused treatment plan, end up being soul-destroying and can seriously damage your mental well-being. Arguably worse in that respect than being fully aware of something pretty malign going on physically, but having an established route you can buy into to fight it/mitigate as circumstances allow. 

You end up chasing your own tail in ever-decreasing circles and it just burns you out. Had a fair bit of it this past year or so, and been at A&E again today with no light shone on the root cause. I can fully sympathise with how low it must be making you, flying blind with something that’s undermining you all the time. And that’s without the fear of it being something as serious as cancer.

The thing is, any suggestion such physical symptoms may be psychosomatic and induced by chronic worry, even partly, can instinctively feel patronising. Just wondering if the therapist involved felt able to suggest whether your no doubt well-founded fears of cancer may be related in that way, and/or offer any tools or advice to deal with it. It’s not something I have any experience with, seeing a therapist for health anxiety. I would say generally though, as with many things, getting the right therapist for you is key. Known people see one and get nowhere, then switch to another who, for whatever reason, was just able to tune into them and their overall complex set of circumstances that bit more astutely, and it be life-changing.

On the physical side, do you feel there are tests which should be carried out which haven’t been? Are you confident a particular issue is ruled out once you receive an all-clear on it, or do you still have that nagging sense that maybe the test is wrong or something along those lines? It’s usually fault-testing isn’t it, segmenting things and just slowly trying to rule out factors as significant, so they’re ticked off and the possible causes get fewer. Frustrating not to be able to get physical health and mental health therapists in the same room and have everyone thrash it out together no doubt, it becomes exhausting going back and forth.

If I felt there may be something physically wrong which was going undiagnosed I would be strongly pushing for every related test I could possibly get, but after a point if that has all been done yet you’re unconfident in even positive results, perhaps a different therapist may be of value to you. Of course, I get that establishing all physical issues have been ruled out is both fiendishly difficult and the root of the problem, so not trying to tell you things you already know. Just think your well-being is worth you considering trying again to get a handle on what may be exacerbating how you’re feeling.

The right therapist is gold-dust, but as with most things, you might not get the right one for you first time. Sorry for the ramble and if any of that sounds presumptuous. Hope you get some respite, that sounds awful.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Alastair Campbell on BBC2 at 9pm tonight, talking about his depression. 

Anxiety one last week triggered a fucking fuck load of the people I'm working with. The professor in it too was a bit of a bell.

16 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

I can't recall seeing anything quite so unflinchingly arrogant. 

Cruise: You don’t understand what I am saying. It’s a statistically proven fact that there is only one successful drug rehabilitation program in the world. Period.

Call it a tie?

• Upvote 1

Has anyone ever tried hypnosis for anxiety? I'd genuinely be interested in it. 

My anxiety is pretty much all subconscious, it's hard-wired into my brainstem, the way a beaten dog recoils when you try and give it a stroke. I don't fidget near the curtains worrying about going out, I've just developed (shit) coping skills down the years which, in most situations, I no longer need but do anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

My anxiety is pretty much all subconscious, it's hard-wired into my brainstem, the way a beaten dog recoils when you try and give it a stroke. I don't fidget near the curtains worrying about going out, I've just developed (shit) coping skills down the years which, in most situations, I no longer need but do anyway. 

I tried some kind of hypno-cbt type things years ago. The problem I found was it relies on you relaxing enough to enter a state where your brain is receptive to it.

I just couldn't relax with a fella in my living room talking at me, so I kinda faked it and kept paying him £50 an hour. Not the soundest strategy, but I figured if I pretended long enough I might just fool myself too. Really wish I'd saved the money and bought a lego millennium falcon.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I've had this come up a few times.

Short answer is it's hit and miss.