You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Hodgson won a fair bit, too. Good ol' Hodgson. Experience is so important. As Pep. Or Kenny. It's almost as if it's not experience, but having a load of good players which is important.

Only joking, it's what it says under your name on wikipedia, that's what counts.

Ferguson honours before he got the mancs job:

Scottish First Division: 1976-77

Scottish Premier Division: 1979–80, 1983–84, 1984–85

Scottish Cup: 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86

Scottish League Cup: 1985–86

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1982–83

UEFA Super Cup: 1983

Rodgers honours before he got the Liverpool job:

That was actually quite funny for you.

I think Rodgers would be a success if he had the same financial backing as Kenny did.

The uncomfortable truth is that both have severe, but different, limitations.

Rodgers, with only thre managerial seaons behind him, only one of which is in the PL simply oes not have the miles on the clock when it comes to personl judgement, and knowing whose third party judgement to trust.

Kenny, out of it for well over a decade, was always going to be a lamb to the slaughter in the 21st century transfer market- and so it proved.

This January transfer window need not have been the most important in recent years, because the one in the summer should have been better.

There's a whole load of horses bolted and we will be looking to close that stable door in January when even the slowest horses have trotted out.

The only good thing I can think of is that Rogers is now a little more aware of the strengths and downings of the squad. He knows exactly where he needs to strengthen.

The bad is that we're desperate and everyone knows it, like a sailor off the boat with a weekend pass and a pocket full of money.

The very most we can hope for this season is a Europa League place. Why would FSG spend significant sums of money in January when they may as well wait until the summer?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Players like Traore' date=' Josemi and Baros you mean?[/quote']

Nah, I mean Alonso, Gerrard, Garcia, Carra, Hyypia, Hamann. Managerial talent is important, but experience is often overrated. It's not totally worthless, but the experienced managers preceding Rodgers hardly set the world on fire.

People using Ferguson as an example are a bit clueless really.

Why?

The point isn't that Rodgers will go on to be as succesful at Liverpool as Ferguson at Man Utd or that Rodgers is as good a manager as Ferguson.

It was just said to point out that even one of the greatest managers ever, probably the greatest, needed time and patience to get it right and turn an underachieving club around.

Why?

The point isn't that Rodgers will go on to be as succesful at Liverpool as Ferguson at Man Utd or that Rodgers is as good a manager as Ferguson.

It was just said to point out that even one of the greatest managers ever, probably the greatest, needed time and patience to get it right and turn an underachieving club around.

I would have thought it was pretty obvious by the earlier post, but ferguson has shown he had what it takes to win things, he even won in Europe with Aberdeen and togteher with his good start to his career with the mancs that bought him time.

Rodgers have achieved and shown fuck all so far in his career to even suggest he can win anything and that is a major difference.

One was a proven winner while the other has proved fuck all.

Why?

Its easier giving someone time when they have a record of success beforehand.

• 3 weeks later...

"We are 11 points off second and that can all turn around very quickly so you need to get consistency," said Liverpool manager Rodgers.

"That is what we have at the minute."

- Brendan Rodgers

Lets see where we are after we have played

Stoke away

QPR away

Sunderland home

Man Utd away

Norwich home

Arsenal away

Man City away

first eh Brendan?

One game at the time is a mantra I wish most Liverpool managers would follow.

One thing that amuses me with this season is all the ones who point to our difficult to start of the season, where we played 3 "top 4" teams at home, I could have agreed if we played themn all away, but we played them at home, when did we start to fear teams at home whoever they are?

"We are 11 points off second and that can all turn around very quickly so you need to get consistency," said Liverpool manager Rodgers.

"That is what we have at the minute."

- Brendan Rodgers

Lets see where we are after we have played

Stoke away

QPR away

Sunderland home

Man Utd away

Norwich home

Arsenal away

Man City away

first eh Brendan?

One game at the time is a mantra I wish most Liverpool managers would follow.

One thing that amuses me with this season is all the ones who point to our difficult to start of the season, where we played 3 "top 4" teams at home, I could have agreed if we played themn all away, but we played them at home, when did we start to fear teams at home whoever they are?

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/106627-30-points-play-4th-still-possible.html

Fucking mong.

fair play to him saying that but he seems jekyll an hyde with he,s interviews one week it,s we need to be realistic in were we are next is were aiming for top 2, it,s been a great week and fair play but for me it,s still very much and outside chance for 4th place the owners need to give him money but i just hope he stays away from sturridge not what we need.

fair play to him saying that but he seems jekyll an hyde with he,s interviews one week it,s we need to be realistic in were we are next is were aiming for top 2, it,s been a great week and fair play but for me it,s still very much and outside chance for 4th place the owners need to give him money but i just hope he stays away from sturridge not what we need.

I don't get this argument. I have serious misgivings about Sturridge myself but he has pace and scores goals.

Which of those don't we need?

looks like somebody who get,s pissed off easly and couldnt get in the team even when torres was doing shite could be wrong but has he only scored something like btween 12-15 goals in 2012 i see your point that he can play anywere along the front 3 but i think walcott would be a better option.