You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So turns out I'm an idiot - any advice?

Bob

Just go to your local DIY shop and buy the items shown in this video. Should cost you no more than £5 and that's being very generous. If you don't think you can do this on your own then you seriously need to carry your own public health warning.

https://youtu.be/Gh2vn-an4WA

A five year old could do it.

Nice one. I'm capable of doing it and wouldn't hesitate if it was inside, but wasn't sure about doing it outside.

Still anyway for cutting it, but looks like I'll be ok

Paid out a reasonable sum on all the f connectors and shit I needed to fix it myself, tried, it didn't work, called virgin last night and they've sent an engineer out today who's already been, installed a new cable and left again at no cost at all.

Turns out honesty can be the best policy.

Paid out a reasonable sum on all the f connectors and shit I needed to fix it myself, tried, it didn't work, called virgin last night and they've sent an engineer out today who's already been, installed a new cable and left again at no cost at all.

Turns out honesty can be the best policy.

Did you tell him how it happened? 

Did you tell him how it happened?

I told the bloke in the call centre that "I've stupidly cut through it"

I told the engineer what I'd done.

He was sound and put it down as a faulty connection so I don't care if he laughs at me with his mates, he's done me a favour.

We're all laughing at you for failing to put a couple of F connectors on some co-ax.

You seen the weather?

I connected them reasonably well I thought but it didn't fix the issue and I'll be bollocksed if I'm spending any more time out in the cold using my pretty hands.

In Bob's defence, I wouldn't go anywhere near trying to fix something like that either.

However, I don't tend to go round the front of my house chopping cables up like some sort of fucking maniac so I've never had to.

• Upvote 7

I've been annoyed for a while about a couple of things coax cables running across the wall in my lounge when my to point is down at the bottom corner and I don't have any other TVs in the house, so I just went about sorting things out.

One of these cables seemed to be running along the front of the house and so I've just cut it.

The glass in your windows just gets in the way of air circulation. You should smash all the panels out.

• Upvote 3

I recently went to Maplin. On my own. Explained my (very minor) problem. On my own. Got required products. On my own. Fixed said problem with said products. On my own.

Felt like a Nobel Prize winner for a couple of hours.

Project Reviews go here

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/topic/57507-i-am-man-hear-me-roar/page-35

I recently went to Maplin. On my own. Explained my (very minor) problem. On my own. Got required products. On my own. Fixed said problem with said products. On my own.

Felt like a Nobel Prize winner for a couple of hours.

Unfortunately I occupy that awkward space between not being geeky enough that I'm intimidated by geeks in the likes of maplin and not being savvy enough about manual labour type stuff that I'm likely to get overcharged by a plasterer.

Shit break, really.