You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chase for the top 4

Lee909

Guest Pistonbroke

I said after the Bournemouth game that we could probably get away with dropping points in another two games and I'm sticking by that. None of the teams below Chelsea and Spurs are playing well and are all capable of dropping points, We have the easier run in on paper and less games than the others, especially the Mancs. Arsenal and City also have the FA cup semi to contend with. 

One thing is for sure, we can't afford anymore injuries, especially to a key player. Saying that, neither can Man U or Arsenal. I think Arsenal are more capable of putting a run together, but it would seem a few of those players have given up on Wenger and all the unrest within their fan blocks, especially within the stadiums is having an effect. The mancs have too many of those ultra defensive games left, Moany will have them set up not to lose rather than throwing caution to the wind. I expect Chelsea to beat them on Sunday, if we beat west Brom on the same day then they'll start resting players for the EL as Moany will give the chase up. City are a weird one, they are well capable of winning all their remaining games but if teams are well organised then Pep looks to struggle, still think they'll piss a top 4 finish, could be a fight on to see who ends up third though. 

So, on to the fixtures, and I'm trying to do these as honestly as possible. 

Liverpool.

West Brom away. 1-2 Win

Palace at home 2-2 Draw

Watford away 1-3 Win

Southampton home 2-0 Win

West Ham away 1-1 Draw

Boro home 3-1 Win 

77 points. 

City.

Southampton away 0-2 Win

West Brom home to be rearranged 3-0 Win Playing FA semi v Arse

Man U home 2-0 Win

Boro away 1-3 Win

Palace home 2-2 Draw

Leicester home 1-1 Draw

Watford away 1-3 Win 

78 points

Mancs

EL Q/F

Chelsea home 1-1 Draw

EL Q/F

Burnley away 1-2 Win

City away 2-0 Lose

Swansea home 2-1 Win

Possible EL SF

Arsenal away 1-1 Draw

Possiblke EL SF

Spurs away 3-1 Lose

Palace home 1-1 Draw

Southampton to be confirmed. Home. 2-0 Win. 

69 points

Arsenal

Boro away 1-3 Win

Sunderland home to be rearranged 2-0 Win Playing FA Semi v City

City home 1-1 Draw

Leicester home 2-1 Win

Spurs away 3-1 Lose

Mancs home 1-1 Draw

Stoke away 1-1 Draw

Everton home 2-1 Win

69 points

We wont get 77 points

Arse are not quite done and i wouldn't put it past the Mancs to do Chelsea at the weekend and put a run together . It's in our hands but when has that been a guarantee of anything ?

Just remember January when we last had to do without our best players and don't go counting any chickens; this is going to be a tough few weeks

The Arsenal Cup.

Our trophy cabinet awaits the privilege.

Better than not being in it.

Some great nights against Chelsea Barcelona Madrid Arsenal Inter that didn't lead to any trophies but like Dortmund last year were still unforgettable nights.

It's ours to lose. Manyoo have played very little of any note on their amazing unbeaten run and are still behind us whilst the Arsenal players have given up.

If we chuck a top 4 finish away now there needs to be a mass execution of the club employees. Even the fucking tea lady.

Better than not being in it.

Some great nights against Chelsea Barcelona Madrid Arsenal Inter that didn't lead to any trophies but like Dortmund last year were still unforgettable nights.

This.

Can't beat the big European nights, I'm massively excited at the prospect, and with our recent inclination to only beating the bigger teams I think we'll do well.

I don't see why people moan about it, saying sarcastic little bits about it being the 4th place trophy etc, we are still quite a way from being good enough to win the prem so having a few good weekday nights til then is surely only a good thing.

Personally these days I see the prem as the first qualifying round of the European cup.

Guest Pistonbroke

If United win the europa do they take the 4th champions league spot; that was the rule last year wasn't it?

No and no. Spain had 5 representatives in the CL this year. Villarreal were however knocked out by Monaco in the last round of the qualifiers. 

I've got no faith in us finishing fourth at all, we've seen how this bunch of players responds to pressure and it isn't very well. I look at West Brom and Palace and think we will struggle in both games. Watford and West Ham have both been shite and we should swat them aside but I wouldn't be massively shocked if we failed to win either. Southampton outplayed us twice in the League Cup semis, so that's far from a given. Middlesbrough should be thrashed but I can see that being very nervy if we need to win it.

Then I look at the Mancs and the tough fixtures they've got left, the extra games they have with their FA Cup game and the UEFA Cup, and the fact that they will likely prioritise Europe, and I look at an Arsenal team that is in disarray and has some tough games ahead, and I think we should piss it.

I hope I'm wrong and we finish the season with six victories, but I can't shake a feeling that we're gonna blow it. Beat West Brom on Sunday and I'll feel a lot more confident, lose it and I'll be expecting to end the season feeling like I did after we lost to Sevilla in Switzerland last summer.

We need to wrap it up before the last day because there is pretty much no doubt that if it goes to the wire and we have to win on the last day we'll shit ourselves.

That is one of the reasons i think the next 3 games are so pivotal, with the other two having tough games Mancs juggling Europe and in Arsenal's case FA cup as well we have a chance to steal a march and put ourselves in a very strong position and lump all the pressure on the other sides/take it off ourselves heading into last 3. Yes we'll still likely need a result or two in last 3 but i'd rather we went into last 3 on 70 pts and needing probably only two wins than going into last 3 on 66/7 and needing maybe 3.

Don't do well in these next 3 and we are the ones under pressure and we all know how that ends.

• Upvote 1

The race for fourth this year is like three old lads crawling through a mile long sewer after taking a tab of acid each.

"Andy Dufresne, who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean at an all-night garage, buying 13 packets of Space Raiders he had no interest in eating and wondering why his thumbs had gone weird. Have your thumbs gone weird? My thumbs have definitely gone weird. Should I be having to concentrate this hard on breathing to make it happen? Why are The Doors playing on a constant loop? Is that a portal to another dimension or just the drinks fridge?"

• 2 weeks later...

Over.

Someone help me see hope of top 4 here, please? and I will happily be made to look stupid saying it is over

We have 4 games left and sit on 66...most we can get is 78 - us winning all 4 is for me massively unlikely....lets be really kind and say we win 3 and lose 1 - that is 75 pts.

So to get top 4 that would mean man utd getting less than 12 pts out of a possible 18 and city getting less than 11 out of a possible 18...

Just can't see any hope at all there.

Anyone feel differently?

We win the last 4 games and finish on 78 points then we have every chance. City, Utd and Arsenal will all drop points. We have no margin for error now though.

That idea alone of us winning 4 straight under pressure just does not float with me....Watford next Monday has banana skin written all over it...that twat Deeney already started the revving up after their defeat and no show yesterday.

Only crumb for me now is City (and it means giving up on 3rd) dicking man utd...a utd win there and we are fucked because city could lose to them and still get 79 anyway....