You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by a greater power? People use these terms but they are so vague. Are we actually talking about a sentient being watching over us and orchestrating the conditions of the universe and the lives of everyone/everything in it?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. But I don't know what's out there. We hardly know much about the 8 planets in our solar system, let alone the hundreds of billions of stars in our galaxy or the hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe. I have an open mind lately to the possibility of some higher intelligence out there.

But I don't believe in a God, someone to answer prayers, watch over us, heaven, hell, sin or manmade religion. Truth of the matter is, I just don't know. I'm happy going through life atheist to faith but open minded to the possibility of something out there.

Mutually exclusive?

That's not the point. It isn't the big bang that disproves God. God is disproven be preconceived notions about supernatural beings compared to the more trusty science and logic. I was merely stating that God didn't great anything that you see on earth or scattered around the universe because that all came from the big bang. Did god put the singularity there? All I know is there was nothing, then there was the singularity, then there was everything. My own criteria about the possibility of there being a supernatural realm that operates outside our own tells me that god was not involved.

"Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians about 6000 years ago, historians have catalogued over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,” I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869."

"Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians about 6000 years ago, historians have catalogued over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,” I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869."

Indeed.

If all our current knowledge and books were wiped and we had to start from scratch again, in time the facts we have discovered regarding the universe through science would return in the exact same form.

Your god, and your Christ, and your Mohammed, would all never ever return. Ever. There would be equally fanciful stories constructed but the events and the details would be wildly different. If I shouted loud enough amongst all the other nonsense being preached you could be worshiping my mighty Gibbon, Keith. And you'd be doing it with equal fervor. Praying to him. Begging him for help despite his clear disdain for you. Pathetically asking for him to cure your child as thousands die for a lack of clean water.

That image of a person begging this being for help, it's pitiful. The moral gymnastics required for good people to do that, it's just fucked up.

And before people think I'm being a complete cunt, that doesn't make the people who do it pitiful as people. It makes them people that occasionally do pitiful things and hold pitiful beliefs.

If I'm setting up a new community post-apocalypse the Rev is getting into it without a second thought, regardless of how indoctrinated I feel he is on this specific issue.

Perhaps her biggest mistake was trying to get with an irreligious type* who actually believe we magically appeared?

* In no way aimed at the first poster, as I don't know what he believes.

More of a general comment in response to the sky wizard thing. Irreligious people seem so certain about everything, but peel back a layer or two and it is usually a case of the emperor's clothes. I'm not interested in yet another religious debate on here, but most irreligious people I've encountered have no explanation for where the material came from for the big bang. They go on about evolution and take it back to the big bang, or even multiple big bangs in a never ending expansion/contraction thing; or multiple universes; or multiple dimensions; or whatever else.

If the universe itself is eternal then that strikes me as rather more magical than believing in a mere sky wizard.

If the universe itself actually had an origin, but nobody on the irreligious side of the fence is able to say from whence it came, and from whence it's predecessor came, and so on; then again, that's more magical than a sky wizard.

I'm irreligious as you put it. And I prefer a good question to a bad answer.

I don't know our origin. And I live happily in that 'knowledge'.

There's a difference between answering the question with: "We don't know, but this is the best answer we've come up with so far based on the evidence. We'll just keep looking" and "It was magic. A vindictive cunt who can intervene in horrible things but doesn't (but might if I beg him with a prayer - which is inherently pointless as he's omnipresent and all-powerful so can see the horrible thing I want sorted already) put everything here".

If I don't know where some ants in my living room came from I investigate and try to find the answer. I don't just say they got there by magic and leave it at that.

Not unless they were actually magic ants.

What do you mean by a greater power? People use these terms but they are so vague. Are we actually talking about a sentient being watching over us and orchestrating the conditions of the universe and the lives of everyone/everything in it?

[YOUTUBE]cNgxyL5zEAk[/YOUTUBE]

A member asks for opinions and/or advice regarding a young lady who happens to be a christian. Within two pages we are so bogged down in theological debate that the original mission is all but abandoned and we'll never get to see a picture of her tits.

It was a doomed mission to begin with

Perhaps her biggest mistake was trying to get with an irreligious type* who actually believe we magically appeared?

* In no way aimed at the first poster, as I don't know what he believes.

More of a general comment in response to the sky wizard thing. Irreligious people seem so certain about everything, but peel back a layer or two and it is usually a case of the emperor's clothes. I'm not interested in yet another religious debate on here, but most irreligious people I've encountered have no explanation for where the material came from for the big bang. They go on about evolution and take it back to the big bang, or even multiple big bangs in a never ending expansion/contraction thing; or multiple universes; or multiple dimensions; or whatever else.

If the universe itself is eternal then that strikes me as rather more magical than believing in a mere sky wizard.

If the universe itself actually had an origin, but nobody on the irreligious side of the fence is able to say from whence it came, and from whence it's predecessor came, and so on; then again, that's more magical than a sky wizard.

Problem with the religious types is they try to make out that those who believe in the likes of evolution think everything has been answered and and they have all the answers when it's undoubtedy the other way around.

People still believe in a book of fables written thousands of years ago yet science is ever in the pursuit of answers, proving and disproving theories.

Update on the now irrelevant OP: the lady wrote me back today. She claimed her interests were always mostly platonic. Bald faced lie if Ive ever heard one, bet the hypocritical bint spent the last week fingering herself in front of an altar and weeping into a holy grail.

Wounded ego aside alls well that ends well.