You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Being Liverpool

bonesman

Hodgson didn't get time with a section of the fans because he was not Rafa Benitez, and he alienated himself from the fans who did want to give him time by trying to blame the fans for poor performances.

In general, it takes time for managers to impose their ideas on a club. Sacking Rodgers after a poor first season would just perpetuate us into another manager with another philosophy coming in and clearing half the squad only not to be given the time.

It would be suicide by the club.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hodgson didn't get time with a section of the fans because he was not Rafa Benitez, and he alienated himself from the fans who did want to give him time by trying to blame the fans for poor performances.

In general, it takes time for managers to impose their ideas on a club. Sacking Rodgers after a poor first season would just perpetuate us into another manager with another philosophy coming in and clearing half the squad only not to be given the time.

Any manager is "managing an investment" on behalf of FSG at Anfield, a scenario widely replicated elsewhere.

Rodgers will be judged by results. A common question amongst our support is "what would be success" for Rodgers? A less commonly asked, but more pertinent, question is ;"how bad would it need to be for Rodgers to be sacked?".

I agree that constant managerial change will not help us. Equally, persisting with a manager who is taking the club in the wrong direction will not help the club. Like most, I am optimistic and hopeful about Rodgers. But putting any manager with only three seasons experience , only one of which was in the PL, in charge of LFC ,and charging them with a return to the CL is a huge ask. I hope he makes it.

Yeah, that would deffo cross a line. I don't think it's on the cards though.

Yeah, I think we'll stay up. I wouldn't be completely surprised if we finished in the bottom half though. That would definitely test the balance between giving a manager a fair crack of the whip, and, hang on a sec, we are fucking Liverpool.

I think we just desperately need our first win. The players need some evidence of the philosophy working to build confidence.

If Hodgson had been getting good results, he'd have stayed. Some people who wanted Rafa gone also wanted Hodgson gone earlyish cos he was shit for us.

It's shit how far we've let owners lower our expectations drastically since Benitez was sacked.

Yeah, I think we'll stay up. I wouldn't be completely surprised if we finished in the bottom half though. That would definitely test the balance between giving a manager a fair crack of the whip, and, hang on a sec, we are fucking Liverpool.

I think we just desperately need our first win. The players need some evidence of the philosophy working to build confidence.

Bottom half and he's incompetent. Our starting 11 is team full of good players. We even have some decent back up.

No way should we be bottom half.

Guest ShoePiss

Because he wasn't Rafa? No because he was fucking shit and should never have been anywhere near the club like a lot of us knew right from the kick off.

Rodgers is completely different to Hodgson anyway, he has class about him, is very respectful to the traditions, history and fans of the club and actually wants to play football. Worlds apart.

Hodgson should have been shot before the first derby game in October when NESV first came in.

Bottom half and he's incompetent. Our starting 11 is team full of good players. We even have some decent back up.

No way should we be bottom half.

I think I do agree. We had the 6th best squad in the league in July. It was unacceptable that Newcastle and Everton finished above us last season. Anything below 8th this year simply wouldn't be good enough. I don't want to keep going back to it, whats done is done, but not having a single proper senior striker at the club is going to have such an enormous negative effect on our season.

I think I do agree. We had the 6th best squad in the league in July. It was unacceptable that Newcastle and Everton finished above us last season. Anything below 8th this year simply wouldn't be good enough. I don't want to keep going back to it, whats done is done, but not having a single proper senior striker at the club is going to have such an enormous negative effect on our season.

A pretty good summary.

Judgement with the owner's money in the transfer market counts for much. If Rodgers signings look to have come off, anything in the top half will probably be enough. If they fail, the owners won't trust you with more- as Kenny discovered.

I agree that our powderpuff attack will cost us dear this season with no guarantee that the winter window can offer a solution.

We were going in the wrong direction long before Rodgers arrived. The question we should be asking is not what would constitute success but how much short term pain we're prepared to swallow in order to turn the liner.

Exactly, zigackly - we are into a process now, of investment in the future with this manager. Investing in a system and with younger players coming on. The cost of this investment is losing, hopefully not too often, but it is going to happen, and we have to take our joy from the players developing during the process - for example, it was only Young Boys and we gave up 3 lousy goals, but I enjoyed seeing what certain players did, coming from behind. Shelvey, Suso, etc, give me hope for the future.

Can't get too upset with results unless it looks like the investment is not paying off and I don't see that with this group.

If we can't give Kenny Dalglish plenty of time no matter what, no one should be given it no matter what.

If he does as well as he should with the players he has, he'll stay. If he doesn't, he goes. Just like everyone else.

If we don't come top 6, he's not done a good job this season. If he has Suarez missing 8 games and we don't come top 6, then thats different.

What utter fucking sly sports fan bollocks thinking.

So you do want to go back to it? Sort of. Would love to know how the fuck up happened in those final 2 days.

What utter fucking sly sports fan bollocks thinking.

It's the same thinking that got us into this position in the first place. Rafa has one really terrible season, fans start turning, the cunts in charge stick the knife in. Hodgson in, he's shit as suspected so fans rightfully turn (to be honest he never had a chance unless he hit the ground running), he's out. Kenny comes in, fans calm down, has a relatively good half season. First full season goes a bit shit where the league is concerned but 2 cup finals is nothing to turn our noses up at, still some fans turn (less than with Rafa to be fair), owners get rid because he wasn't their man in the first place.

Rodgers is going to need more than one season, there would be no reason to have hired him if they weren't prepared to give him more than one season except if it looks like he's taking us down. Right now, it looks like we're going to be an average side (anywhere between 5th-7th) but not in danger of going down and could actually put in a decent challenge for 4th (i.e. - be above-average) IF the players start performing well, meaning the forwards score and the defense and Reina get their shit together. Our midfield is our strength when we don't allow teams to bypass it or bypass it ourselves. We've played some really nice football for good portions of this season but have been let down by defensive/goalkeeping errors and poor finishing.

Rodgers is going to need more than one season, there would be no reason to have hired him if they weren't prepared to give him more than one season except if it looks like he's taking us down.

Backing him in buying a striker would have been a good start.