You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bolton away match thread

fowler9

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but while I did say that I wouldn't have bought any of the players we ended up with, I've been dismayed that they've been far worse than I feared they might be

Aye, me too...and that's saying something.

I'm still convinced Adam is playing at a level above where he should be, but at least we didn't spend a fortune on him. I thought he'd be found out quickly then fucked off onto the bench or into the reserves.

Carroll I thought was a bit shit, but hadn't seen enough of him to cement my views, which are now like fucking carbonite btw.

Henderson I couldn't remember ever seeing, and not much has changed.

Downing was always a Mr Average to me, and I suppose at least he's lived up to expectations.

I hate being negative about our players but fuck me, it's unavoidable with this bunch.

I'm afraid that kenny's second coming at Anfield is unfortunately starting to resemble his tenure at Newcastle: a few bright points, lots of really shit signings, intransigence, negative tactics, turgid football, and ultimately failure

Ouch!

I genuinely believe that a win against City- then a League Cup trophy could transform things, and the mood, for Kenny.

A double dose of Manc triumphs though will make things very difficult. a pivotal week awaits.

A run of Man City/Man U/Wolves/Spurs/Man U/Everton offers only one games respite.

Hang on, the ride could get a little rough!

Guest Pistonbroke
It didn't offend. But yes, I would. Every day of the week.

What has Benitez done since he left us from a football point of view? For what reason did we part company with him? Real nice guy and a credit to the club and fans the way he conducted himself, but having him back at the club would be a huge mistake imo. Plus no matter how much i love King kenny as a man, i'm not happy with his handling of things this season. We need a an up and coming youngish manager to breathe fire into the club....the way things are going atm and if we track back to Benitez we'll just waste more money and fall further behind the top 4-6 teams.

You're not an escapee are you ? From RAWK ?

You're sensibilities do seem well suited to that other place...

Nope. Not at all. Just because I think Benitez is a better manager instantly leads you to conclude that I'm from RAWK?

It's just my opinion. For me Dalglish is and always will be a legend. Just don't think he's the answer. I was always a fan of Benitez. Still am. Would like to see him given another shot at the job, but with a decent board and backing behind him.

Just noted the Animals lyrics (Pigs, 3 Different Ones) at the end of your posts as well as your Waters Avatar mate.

Good....but Gilmour's guitar playing was THE beauty on Animals.

Nope, trying to talk Floyd doesn't get me off feeling shit after the game!

Probably my favourite Floyd album mate. Noticed your Gilmour avatar a while back.

You're right, talking Floyd solves nothing. Even the impending bump of the Alison Angel's Tits thread isn't cheering me up today.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Nope. Not at all. Just because I think Benitez is a better manager instantly leads you to conclude that I'm from RAWK?

It's just my opinion. For me Dalglish is and always will be a legend. Just don't think he's the answer. I was always a fan of Benitez. Still am. Would like to see him given another shot at the job, but with a decent board and backing behind him.

Whilst I think Kenny should be given much more time and money to spend, I think yours is a perfectly valid opinion. Rafa was great for this club, and he was at the helm whilst the club was crumbling. It's not surprising people want the best days of Rafa back now that things are going wrong on the pitch.

I just don't have it in me to get on Kenny's back, I can't do it even if I wanted to.

What I will say about tonight however is this...

1. I hope those who have been calling for Maxi back in the team can finally fuck off. He's a squad player, nothing more.

2. Johnson had a bad game, looked very shakey, it happens. Hopefully he'll put that right in the next two.

3. Charlie Adam isn't playing well and hasn't put in a good performance now for about 2 months. I would have brought him off sooner. Henderson is clearly better in the middle than on the right so if we're going to play him lets give him a run alongside Stevie now until the end of the season.

4. "How do you solve a problem like Lucas?" Right now I'm not sure, but I think this is also an area we may have to look at before the window closes.

5. Please God let us sign a striker before the end of the month, Kuyt is finished (which I'm a little sad about as I love him) and Andy Carroll is a fucking disgrace. Fuck his price tag I'm not interested anymore I just don't want to see him in the red he's just not good enough.

6. Bellamy was excellent tonight, the knees might have gone but the everybody can take a look at him tonight and take heed.

7. Playing football in the wind sucks. I blame the weather.

8. Bolton fans are inbred cunts and the ref was a shithouse.

9. We'll be at Wembley come Thursday morning and all this will be forgotten.

10. Yes, I've had a drink.

Whilst I think Kenny should be given much more time and money to spend, I think yours is a perfectly valid opinion. Rafa was great for this club, and he was at the helm whilst the club was crumbling. It's not surprising people want the best days of Rafa back now that things are going wrong on the pitch.

Rafa coming back wouldn't work for a variety of reasons.

His ability wouldn't be top of that list though.

Henderson is a kid and to be fair he does show promise.

Adam, and Downing are more experienced and so the fact that they are just abject is all the more cause for rightful criticism.

As for Carroll I'm lost for words. Is he unfit/drinking/homesick or just plain not up to it?

Kenny's Bolton verdict

Dalglish told his post-match press conference: "The result is disappointing, but the most disappointing thing for me was that I don't think we were ready to play the game.

"I don't think the approach was correct and I don't think the way we went about our work was correct.

"The foundations of the football club have always been built upon respect for other people and the philosophy that the next game is the most important one - not the one that is two or three (games) down the line.

"If they needed a lesson to be taught to them then today was it. If they think they can just turn up and get a result, not be as competitive and not match the opposition for effort and commitment then they've got a lesson today.

"If they've learned it then fine. Without trying to take anything away from Owen (Coyle) and the way Bolton played, we have to look at ourselves and see what we can do to try and prevent it from happening in the future. That's what we'll do."

Liverpool face the second leg of the Carling Cup semi-final against Manchester City on Wednesday at Anfield, before playing host to Manchester United in the FA Cup fourth round on Saturday.

Reporters asked Dalglish whether he felt his players may have had one eye on the cup ties.

He replied: "I never asked them what they were thinking about, but I would assume people would have that idea in their mind. If they did it's not correct.

"It's not correct in the sense that it is not the right way to go about representing this football club."

Dalglish admitted he was disappointed with the way Liverpool approached the contest, and believes it led to a below-par opening in which Bolton took the lead.

The manager continued: "We lost a goal after four minutes, but we've got to make sure we're in there and ready to go before we start the match, and I don't think we were. That's probably why we lost a goal after four minutes.

"There's nobody been at this football club that's not had respect for other people. If that is what the problem was then, that they thought this game wasn't as important a game as the next one, then fine but they'll not be here.

"The key now for us is not to repeat what we've done."

Rafa coming back wouldn't work for a variety of reasons.

His ability wouldn't be top of that list though.

Someone said earlier half our fanbase would probably give up supporting us if he did. They'd be fucking bellends if they did.

But no matter, his time has come and gone. Its Kenny's time now, Kenny needs time to sort out the problems were having. If he fails then he fails and we'll move on. But it would be madness to give up now. Far too early.

Not gonna say otherwise, hes made mistakes, Adam is just terrible, Carroll I just give up on, Downing isn't good enough. Only Henderson looks ok to me.

But Enrique, Bellamy and Coates look like good investments.

But he deserves a chance to get us back on track. I think we're about another loss away from being out of the hunt for the CL but we're still in the hunt for 2 cups. Thats something to be happy about. On tonights form though I can't say I'm confident we'll win those cups.

But point is we can turn things around, we can make new signings, we can drop underperforming players. Plenty of things can change for the better and Kenny deserves the chance to show he can change them.