You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jimmy Savile dead

Mendoza

Children in Need next week won't be the same without him
Seems someone was on to him and there was a period of time he was banned from it.

'Creepy' Jimmy Savile was banned from Children in Need

Jimmy Savile was banned from BBC Children in Need because of his suspicious behaviour with children more than a decade ago, a former BBC executive has revealed.

Sir Roger Jones, OBE, former chairman of Children in Need said: "He was a creepy sort of character - we didn't want him anywhere near the charity."

Sir Roger, 69, was also a governor of BBC Wales at the time. He said he did not have have evidence to report Savile to management at the Corporation.

But he said Savile was banned from any involvement at the annual Children in Need TV fundraiser because of "rumours" about his interest in young girls.

The revelation will once again raise questions about how much was known within the BBC about Savile's behaviour. Scotland Yard have described the entertainer as "undoubtedly" one of the most prolific sex offenders in history.

When the scandal broke a month ago the Corporation insisted there had been no cover-up, and claimed a thorough investigation had found no "record of misconduct or allegations of misconduct."

Today Dame Janet Smith begins an internal BBC inquiry into the affair.

Sir Roger said: "We all recognised he is a creepy sort of character.

"And when I was with Children in Need we took the decision that we didn't want him near the charity.

"We stepped up our child protection policies which again which would have put him at great risk if he tried anything.

"A charity like Children In Need knew the biggest thing to guard against was paedophiles. They were just like flies around the honey pot."

Sir Roger, a member of the board of governors between 1996 and 2002, said he would have stepped down from his Children in Need role if Savile had become involved with the charity.

He told BBC Wales: "A guy with a big cigar in his mouth, a string vest who is covered in gold chains and trinkets; is this really the guy who we want to become a hero for kids?

"I had no evidence but I found that his behaviour was very strange. I felt it was inappropriate. I couldn't tell that he was a practicing paedophile, but I didn't have to.

"On my watch, Children In Need was properly covered. There were no incidents we did everything we could to protect the children."

Sir Roger said: "I think the seed of this misfortune is deeply planted in the separation of the governors from the trust."

Sir Roger founded Penn Pharmaceuticals in 1986 and served as a BBC Governor from December 1996 to December 2002.

He served as Chairman of BBC Children in Need and the BBC's Pension Fund Trustees. Savile appeared on the annual telethon appeal in 1984, 1987 and 1989, before Sir Roger became the chairman.

Savile, who died last year at the age of 84, is being described as one of the most prolific sex offenders in UK history.

He is thought to have abused at least 300 victims over four decades, and police are following more than 400 leads.

Some of these sex attacks are thought to have happened on BBC premises while Savile was hosting Top of the Pops.

The National Association for People Abused in Childhood is demanding an "on air" apology during this years's Children in Need appeal due to be screen on Friday November 16.

Peter Saunders, chief executive of the charity, said: "I will be writing to the Director General George Entwistle next week, asking the BBC to help survivors of abuse because I think they owe it to them."

'Creepy' Jimmy Savile was banned from Children in Need - Telegraph

• 1 month later...

Good, I've always hated them:

Ian Watkins, singer of Welsh rock band Lostprophets, has been charged with sexual offences against children, reports BBC News.

The 35 year-old is charged with conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a female under 13 and possession/distribution of indecent images of children. Two women, aged 20 and 24, from Doncaster and Bedford, have been charged with similar offences, and all three individuals have been questioned at Cardiff Bay police station in south Wales.

A police spokesperson said: "A Pontypridd man has been charged with sexual offences against children and is due to appear at Cardiff magistrates court today… In order to assist their investigation, South Wales police has named the man as Ian Watkins, a member of the rock group Lostprophets."

Police have urged anyone with concerns or information relating to the investigation to get in touch. "Specially-trained staff are available to speak to anyone with concerns or information regarding this investigation and a dedicated telephone number has been set up," said senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Peter Doyle. "I want to encourage anyone who has any concerns or information which they think may be relevant to contact us. Safeguarding children involved in such cases is always a high priority and as such measures have already been taken."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Operation Globe incident room on 0800 056 0154; or NSPCC on 0800 389 5347 or email operationglobe@south-wales.pnn.police.uk. Overseas callers are asked to phone 00 44 207 158 0011.

Lostprophets formed in Pontypridd in 1997 and released debut album 'Thefakesoundofprogress' in 2000. The band's fifth album, 'Weapons', was released on April 2, 2012.

Probably couldn't tell the difference between a flat chested 13 year old and when he used to go out with Fern Cotton.