You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

More than one great album

Paul

Loads surely?

Beatles - Revolver, Sgt Pepper

Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed, Beggars Banquet

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde

Oasis - Definitely Maybe, What's the Story (Morning Glory)

U2 - Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby.

Just 5 for starters, don't think i'm being biased there as I think most critics would agree on them. Can think of loads more though.

Loads surely?

Beatles - Revolver, Sgt Pepper

Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed, Beggars Banquet

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde

Oasis - Definitely Maybe, What's the Story (Morning Glory)

U2 - Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby.

Just 5 for starters, don't think i'm being biased there as I think most critics would agree on them. Can think of loads more though.

Throw them up then mate. That's the point of the thread.

The early nominations are beginning to confirm a suspicion that few contemporary artists would get a shout. I'll throw one in there: A Tribe Called Quest. Their debut and The Low End Theory deffo qualify (they're no longer contemporary, mind you; not 60s/70s icons either, though).

I love the arctic monkeys, going to see them in november, and I really like suck it and see. But a classic like the stone roses debut or definitely maybe? Not for me.

The debut is, definitely. Even just a few years on it's clearly taken it's place alongside the likes of Blue Lines, Dummy and Turn on the Bright lights as one of the great debut records.

So, leading on from that.

Massive attack

Interpol

Bloc Party

Kings of Leon

Tv on the Radio

...and a fair few more, have done records that I would consider to be great. The premise of the question is always going to be like nailing water to a wall due to the fact that you're trying to name albums that other people consider great.

The debut is, definitely. Even just a few years on it's clearly taken it's place alongside the likes of Blue Lines, Dummy and Turn on the Bright lights as one of the great debut records.

So, leading on from that.

Massive attack

Interpol

Bloc Party

Kings of Leon

Tv on the Radio

...and a fair few more, have done records that I would consider to be great. The premise of the question is always going to be like nailing water to a wall due to the fact that you're trying to name albums that other people consider great.

Sorry,just to clarify I agree the first arctics album is a classic. No doubt about that. I just don't think suck it and see is. 1 classic album from them for me, and the rest whilst very good just fall short of being classics.

Kings of Leon have only made one great album imo and that was Because of the Times. The first two were alright, the last two were awful. Can't argue with the other 4 Monty summed up.

Sigur Ros, dEUS spring to mind alongside the ones that have been mentioned above i.e. Radiohead, Dylan, Beatles, Marvin Gaye.