You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

Guest San Don
Just watched olivier bernard (i dont know either) on sky sports news blasting our players for wearing luis suarez t.shirts and saying how it is a bad example to set to kids. He then went on to state how suarez had apologised for using a racist term' date=' now i have been following this situation since it started and i dont remember suarez doing no such thing. so my question is this, does reality get so warped in these fuckwits minds that they start to make up their own shit version of events? should broadcasters have a responsibility to make sure only facts of a case are screened on their shows or can any arsehole with an opinion just spout uninformed bullshit as they please?[/quote']

Its all part of the misinformation they are putting out to supposedly strengthen their argument.

Why have they not asked why his teammates, both black and white, have so publically backed him?

If anything, they are spouting more mistruths since they are claiming some of the players may not have wanted to wear the shirts when warming up at wigan. Really? What evidence do they have of this or is it just another assumption they are making and trying to pass off as fact?

What i would love to see is Luis get exonerated from all charges and then the FA having to go grovelling to Luis for getting it wrong.

Not only that i would look forward to massive headlines proclaiming Luis is not a racist, however i would guess it would get two lines of apology hidden underneath the TV Listings

Hahaha.

I was just directed to a blog post by Clarke Carlisle in which he stated the following:

"Celebrations were afoot in the Carlisle household this week as I celebrated my 31st birthday! My wife took me out for a lovely meal, Elgato Negro in Ripponden"

Uh-oh!

Exactly what i said earlier....However some of these people in the spotlight need to find out a bit more about what was said, instead of just having those dark blinkers on** and just seeing one side of it all the time

**sorry i meant NON-WHITE blinkers

Guest San Don
Hahaha.

I was just directed to a blog post by convicted drink driver Clarke Carlisle in which he stated the following:

"Celebrations were afoot in the Carlisle household this week as I celebrated my 31st birthday! My wife took me out for a lovely meal, Elgato Negro in Ripponden"

Uh-oh!

I twattered the ignorant twat about it but he's obviously ignoring me. Carrying on some conversation with someone 5times or sommat.

Sadly not!

Just flicked the newspaper review on Sky News on too. Headline on front page of the i tomorrow - "Defiant Terry braves Spurs cauldron to rescue Blues"!

Then the blonde bint with the wide chin, segways into the adverts saying something along the lines of "after the break, Sportsline, with more on how John Terry saved Chelsea".

I'll tell you who's fucking racist. The press in this country. Racist as fuck. Fuming here.

Please tell me you're on a wind up with that, 'cause that's genuinely outlandish.

It's what we would've been taking the piss about before the game; only they've actually gone and done it!

It's be great if someone had the headline from the mirror the other day and the one about BBJT tomorrow, photoshop them together under the headline "who's more racist: the English media or premiership footballers?"

That could be twittered and facebooked worldwide within hours to show what we're fighting.

Please tell me you're on a wind up with that, 'cause that's genuinely outlandish.

It's what we would've been taking the piss about before the game; only they've actually gone and done it!

It's be great if someone had the headline from the mirror the other day and the one about BBJT tomorrow, photoshop them together under the headline "who's more racist: the English media or premiership footballers?"

That could be twittered and facebooked worldwide within hours to show what we're fighting.

things like this should also be shown to lfc.

Diego Forlan:

"The serious problem about discrimination, not only racism nowadays, it will be only control with fines as inadmisible and inappropriate as the one imposed to our beloved team mate Luis Suárez ?

There's a time and a place for everything. Time will tell Forza Luis"

Absolutely spot on by Forlan. They are trying to make a stand against racism through sacrificing a player's reputation without even thinking about the consequences. I can't even imagine what they would have don if they didn't have to think about the Terry case as well.

OK, I'm adding this here and in the MF thread because it's too long to add to my blog. Here goes.

---

I write this in the wake of the FA upholding their charges against Luis Suarez for the alleged use of racist language against Patrice Evra. I can’t help but be partisan in favour of Liverpool, but this is really not about trying to exonerate Suarez or portray Evra and ManU as liars (hopefully the facts and evidence will clear all that up) but to talk about how things started in the first place, after the exchange of verbals on the pitch, but before the case went to the FA’s independent panel.

The written evidence following the verdict has yet to materialise, which in itself is odd because it is this upon which the independent panel and the FA reached their guilty verdict. Because of that, I continue to back our player because so far he’s been found guilty without just cause. It might be paranoia clouded by anger but it really does look as if the FA need time to tailor the evidence to fit their verdict, giving the player and the club little room for manoeuvre in the hope of making the allegations stick. Worse still, the whole shambles has taken on an air of one-upmanship with FIFA and their president Sepp Blatter. The FA have had an axe to grind with FIFA ever since losing out to Russia in the 2018 World Cup bidding process, and probably long before that, when talking about corruption within FIFA and executives like Blatter and Jack Warner. This matter should be about dealing with the issue of racism properly, not political point scoring.

The FA should be brought to rights on how they’ve mismanaged the situation to such an appalling degree that we are now in the situation we are, because make no mistake; it is their handling of the situation that is the cause of the current media firestorm. How bad will it have to get? Because at the moment, there are a lot of people with itchy trigger fingers who are likely to say or do something irretrievably stupid and set back relations between clubs, players, fans and those involved in the game’s administration. Sure it all brings publicity, and it’s been claimed before that there is no such thing as bad publicity, but is that really true here? Any media organisations seeking to profit from this by deliberately fanning the flames need to take a long hard look at themselves because they are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Be that as it may, there is still something that nags me from when the allegations were first reported, and it concerns exactly how they were reported. But first, a quick look back at events on the field of play.

Watching the events of that day, Evra was visibly irritated by something before the match even kicked off. Why was he so wound up from the beginning? Evra was ManU captain that day and something happened during the coin toss that caused to further irritate him. This behaviour continued throughout the first half with him appealing for free-kicks and being ignored. Granted, there was a moment where he could claim to be justifiably irritated, and that was when Downing went past him and dived (more about diving later). There was no contact whatsoever and the ball went out of play. Only a throw-in was given to ManU, and the referee Andre Marriner actually halted play to ask Evra to calm down after the throw had been taken.

Later on, the game’s main (subsequent) talking point arrived with Suarez and Evra clashing in the area as Liverpool prepared to take a corner. The referee halted play to speak to both of them. Suarez patted Evra on the head in a conciliatory gesture, angrily rebuffed by Evra. Again the referee had words. By this point, though it couldn’t be picked up with any degree of accuracy on the video footage, the pair clearly said something to each other. Evra did not at this point inform the referee that Suarez had said anything in a racial context to him, so play continued.

Soon afterwards, Evra went down near the corner flag under a challenge from Suarez. Whether there was any contact - never mind intent – or not, Evra started writhing on the ground in apparent agony and got treatment from the physio. He had to leave the field of play, and decided to let the Liverpool fans in the Paddock know where his allegiances lay. You could argue this was deliberate incitement of the crowd, right beside the referee’s assistant. His protests to the referee were met with deaf ears, and play resumed. Not long after that, Evra committed a foul on Kuyt, and by protesting the decision, earned himself a yellow card for dissent. In recent days it has been claimed that Evra told the referee “you are only booking me because I am black!” If that were true (and I don’t know if it is as yet) then isn’t Evra accusing the referee of racial discrimination?

The above is all known, but how did events unfold after the game? The chronology of events is important in this matter because it’s key to establishing whether or not there was a genuine grievance, or a deliberate attempt to cause problems for the opposing team and one of their players (for what reason I really don’t know), or if a genuine grievance was mishandled, deliberate or not.

Two things are known about the post-match events, but I’ve yet to see one of them, and that is Evra’s interview with French TV channel Canal+. The other is Evra and Ferguson going to see the referee to make the allegations, which the referee then included in his report.

Evra spoke to a French journalist about being racially abused by Suarez ‘at least 10 times’ during the game. Without going into what word or words were used, he also claimed that TV footage clearly shows it, and that the referee knew. First of all, so soon after the game, how would he have seen the footage in question? Secondly, why did none of the other players, including his teammates, pick up on it? Surely they would have been quick to jump to Evra’s defence if there had been anything untoward? Thirdly, if the referee knew of the allegations during the game, why did he not deal with it there and then?

Now the referee’s report. I would like to see a copy of this so that the contents are not subject to speculation. A manager accompanying his player to see the referee is not in itself strange so I’ve no issue with Ferguson in that respect. Evra would have told him in the dressing room about the supposed racial abuse so his natural reaction would have been to seek clarification. However, did the referee include anything in his report about what Evra supposedly said to him on the pitch, as Evra had told Canal+? Until the pair came to see him, did he have any idea about any of it?

What I’m about to say now is purely just me speculating and should be treated as such.

Did Evra speak to Canal+ immediately after the game had finished, or was it after the referee had been made aware of the allegations? Simply put, was he standing next to the reporter in his dirty kit, sweating and swigging an energy drink, or had he had time to get showered and changed (and presumably calm down too)? Excerpts we’ve read of the Canal+ interview suggests it was in the heat of the moment rather than calm and considered. If it was the case that it was immediately before entering the dressing room after the game, did his manager even know what he was about to allege?

If the sequence of events started with Evra speaking to Canal+ first, he would then have entered the dressing room still in an agitated state, and the coaching staff would certainly have picked up on it and asked him what was up. Maybe his teammates did. Perhaps it was here that Ferguson said they needed to inform the referee so that the allegations could be included in his report.

Was it a case of ManU’s coaching staff saying to Evra, “OK, this is a serious matter that we need to inform the referee of”? Or was it a case of them telling him, “You’ve made these claims to the media but the referee needs to know, so you’d better tell him what you told Canal+.”

As I said before, the above is speculation on my part and highly accusatory. It might well be inaccurate too. It could be that Evra informed Ferguson of his complaint, and together they went to see the referee and report it. After that, Evra went to speak to Canal+ and made the same claims.

However, why would ManU’s coaching staff then allow Evra to make the allegations through the media? Having gone through the proper channels, wouldn’t they have said the matter is in the hands of the FA via the referee so will be dealt with through the established channels? They knew what state he was in, so the club themselves could have put out a statement saying something vague about reporting allegations to the referee and the FA. That it came from Evra in the context it was put across seems to suggest that they didn’t know about it until after Evra had already spoken to Canal+.

Ferguson in his post-match conference made no mention of the allegations, and instead talked about Suarez’s reputation for diving. I can’t recall any instances of Suarez diving during the game, but there was the Downing incident mentioned above, the Adam incident which led to the opening goal, the Evra tackle described above, and worst of all, the Young incident where he dived into Lucas after overrunning the ball before any contact was even made, earning Lucas a booking. Going back to Ferguson talking about Suarez diving, apart from glossing over his own players’ diving antics, the insinuation was to portray Suarez as a cheat and of questionable character.

Planting the seeds in the media about questionable character makes it all the more plausible for people to accept Suarez capable of more serious offences such as racial discrimination. So when those accusations are made, people are more willing to believe guilt before innocence. An unearned reputation precedes him. Suarez’s image in the media in the weeks before the charge bears this out. How often have commentators talked about his tendency to dive when being challenged? Even when he has had a legitimate case and won a decision, there have been barbed comments attached to the call by commentators and media. Referees haven’t given him the benefit of the doubt in many 50/50 incidents, especially since Ferguson planted the seed. Is that just a coincidence?

Talking about the actual verdict is for another time, ideally when the evidence is produced by the FA’s independent panel. Talk of the FA and the questionable make up of the panel is for another time. Talk of the media reaction to the verdict is for another time. Talk about how the public have reacted to the verdict is for another time. For all these, the FA have a lot to answer for.

Once the evidence is produced, it could well be that Suarez doesn’t have a leg to stand on. However, the strong statements made by the club and players suggest that a massive injustice has been carried out here. The backing for Suarez goes far beyond the standard “we are behind our player” routine that is common with disciplinary cases, and the club evidently feel that nothing warranting a fine and ban was committed, and also that the handling of the matter was far from fair or satisfactory, and designed to suit an ulterior motive.

Has the chain of events been designed, or has it escalated into something it wasn’t intended to become? I hope we get to learn all this and all the above questions get answered.

Paul Hayward: Liverpool siege mentality misguided over Luis Suarez's racial abuse of Patrice Evra - Telegraph

Why do people write so much shit? It's like they have nothing better to do...oh, wait. He totally misses the point whst he fucking alludes to it anyway the big headed cunt.

He's an arsehole.

“Negro” — assuming that was the insult

and then continues with a hatchet job...how about you actually wait to see what was said instead of assuming something then writing as if it is fact