You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Taken is still a fucking terrible action film and Neeson is shit in it.

This is a fact. Hardly amnesty stuff

I'll throw a few more out

Beatles were over-rated but they did do a lot of great music. They just aren't the best thing since sliced bread.

Black Sabbath ozy era conquers all. Ozy's untimely death brought an end to them ever making another great album.

And before anyone pipes up I'm point blank refusing to accept anything a certain someone did after Black Sabbath.

I added an addendum above to clarify. However' date=' where are the Led Zep sound-a-likes of today?[/quote']

It's a false argument. No band could come along and reproduce what they did. I don't see many Beatles, Who or Stones soundalikes selling millions of records but that doesn't take away from the talent or songwriting abilities of those bands.

Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham was a genius grouping, they came together at the right time and created some of the best music ever recorded. They changed the face of music and if they started today instead of 50 years ago they'd still change the face of music because they are just that good.

This is a fact. Hardly amnesty stuff

I'll throw a few more out

Beatles were over-rated but they did do a lot of great music. They just aren't the best thing since sliced bread.

Black Sabbath ozy era conquers all. Ozy's untimely death brought an end to them ever making another great album.

And before anyone pipes up I'm point blank refusing to accept anything a certain someone did after Black Sabbath.

The Beatles were unquestionably great by any definition, I reckon. However, the fact that they still sell loads of records is in equal parts depressing and mystifying to me.

They left no legacy of any worth (bar helping music disappear up it's own arse for a short period) and yet are lauded with a cringing sense of entitlement by far too many people who spent their uni days sat in their rooms listening to dead music, using this turgid shite as a shield against any kind of extant culture they could actually go out and engage with.

Just my take on it like.

They left no legacy of any worth (bar helping music disappear up it's own arse for a short period) and yet are lauded with a cringing sense of entitlement by far too many people who spent their uni days sat in their rooms listening to dead music' date=' using this turgid shite as a shield against any kind of extant culture they could actually go out and engage with.

Just my take on it like.[/quote']

I stopped reading after 'They left no legacy of any worth...'

I don't disagree but I'd like to know what criteria you're basing that on because' date=' for me, Zep and Floyd qualify.[/quote']

Legacy, current popularity, popular consciousness, melody, personal taste...

I know how it works. Surely I'm able to disagree with something that I think is absolutely ludicrous?

Its not ludicrous though,its a simple difference of opinion.

Apart from Stairway To Heaven and Top Of The Pops theme,Whole Lotta Love? I havent heard anything from them thats decent.

Its not ludicrous though' date='its a simple difference of opinion.

Apart from Stairway To Heaven and Top Of The Pops theme,Whole Lotta Love? I havent heard anything from them thats decent.[/quote']

Me too - and I'm only half in on Stairway.

Paul is like a fountain of thought crime on here today. Never knew what a terrible bloke he was.

Quite. It's like watching Bill Hicks do a Chubby Brown routine.

Anyway, enough hating on sacred cows: "Freedom" by Wham! is one of the greatest pop songs ever written, both musically (listen to the guitar work) and lyrically ("and you know that I would give you, just this once, twice, forever. cos baby you can take me to hell and back, just as long as we're together").

Fucking Keats himself would have been proud of that one.

Edit: And Pidge, you're having a mare on Led Zep there mate. Listen to their BBC sessions CD (if you dare). It's the most visceral, vital and immense sound it''s possible for four men to create with just a few simple instruments and a plie of VOX amps.