You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

It's almost like there is a correlation between having a horrible right wing government who try and actively make peoples lives worse and strike action, who'd thunk it?

Over the last couple of years the following have struck, no?

Lawyers

Junior Doctors

Midwives

Teachers

Railways workers (inc. driver and guards)

Post Office Workers

Prison Wardens

Anyone else I'm missing?

How about increasing taxation on the wealthiest and spending on the state as a proportion of GDP, that may prevent some of this. It's not fucking rocket science.

Typical of the Tories to try and brand this as a conspiracy and call for increased legislation to control strikes. I don't take a default position on strike action but each of these actions affecting numerous sectors all appear to be pretty legitimate. Unreasonable management, cuts to services and funding along with wage stagnation.

I don't actually think the issue is raising tax levels, it's dealing with the wide scale tax avoidance by the wealthy elite and multi-nationals which now effectively bypass national taxation altogether with the support of complicit national governments. Even the IFS estimated a conservative figure of £25 billion annually if we actually dealt with corporate tax avoidance as a starting point.

Typical of the Tories to try and brand this as a conspiracy and call for increased legislation to control strikes. I don't take a default position on strike action but each of these actions affecting numerous sectors all appear to be pretty legitimate. Unreasonable management, cuts to services and funding along with wage stagnation.

I don't actually think the issue is raising tax levels, it's dealing with the wide scale tax avoidance by the wealthy elite and multi-nationals which now effectively bypass national taxation altogether with the support of complicit national governments. Even the IFS estimated a conservative figure of £25 billion annually if we actually dealt with corporate tax avoidance as a starting point.

I agree with you in part about the tax avoidance issue , though that would mean actually funding and structuring HMRC effectively so that it can actually follow up on it. Tax avoidance/evasion is also and easy win across the board politically so I'd envisage that a push to try and reduce this, though I'd imagine the Conservatives will do more messaging about it than enaction. Still our state spending as a percentage of GDP is around the 40% level (and was dropping at an alarming rate under Osborne- projected to be around 36% by 2020 prior to him being kicked form office) in comparison to other Western European countries this is at least about 4 to 5% lower and of course is considerably lower than the Scandinavian countries.

One of the main reasons for raising the top rate of tax is to dissuade people from getting too greedy as well, if at your next promotion you go for a slightly lower amount because you know that if you go up to the next band it will be an absolute pain trying to limit your tax liabilities you don't bother. This then means that salaries for those in the middle and toward the lower end of the spectrum tend to rise as not such a huge chunk of turnover is required to retain those at the very top.  You could postulate that this is naive but time and again it's show to be effective in reducing inequality in levels of pay.

Great this country isn't it, the media bang on about how it's wonderful to live in a democracy and yet when people democratically vote to go on strike because of their conditions or what is being forced upon them then they get demonised for it.

Watched a report the other night on the BBC 10 o'clock news, lets just say it didn't smack of impartiality.

It's almost like there is a correlation between having a horrible right wing government who try and actively make peoples lives worse and strike action, who'd thunk it?

Over the last couple of years the following have struck, no?

Lawyers

Junior Doctors

Midwives

Teachers

Railways workers (inc. driver and guards)

Post Office Workers

Prison Wardens

Anyone else I'm missing?

How about increasing taxation on the wealthiest and spending on the state as a proportion of GDP, that may prevent some of this. It's not fucking rocket science.

Firefighters

Still our state spending as a percentage of GDP is around the 40% level (and was dropping at an alarming rate under Osborne- projected to be around 36% by 2020 prior to him being kicked form office) in comparison to other Western European countries this is at least about 4 to 5% lower and of course is considerably lower than the Scandinavian countries.

I agree and the Tory right wing are looking for 25% or lower.

I agree with you in part about the tax avoidance issue , though that would mean actually funding and structuring HMRC effectively so that it can actually follow up on it. Tax avoidance/evasion is also and easy win across the board politically so I'd envisage that a push to try and reduce this, though I'd imagine the Conservatives will do more messaging about it than enaction. Still our state spending as a percentage of GDP is around the 40% level (and was dropping at an alarming rate under Osborne- projected to be around 36% by 2020 prior to him being kicked form office) in comparison to other Western European countries this is at least about 4 to 5% lower and of course is considerably lower than the Scandinavian countries.

One of the main reasons for raising the top rate of tax is to dissuade people from getting too greedy as well, if at your next promotion you go for a slightly lower amount because you know that if you go up to the next band it will be an absolute pain trying to limit your tax liabilities you don't bother. This then means that salaries for those in the middle and toward the lower end of the spectrum tend to rise as not such a huge chunk of turnover is required to retain those at the very top.  You could postulate that this is naive but time and again it's show to be effective in reducing inequality in levels of pay.

So are the revenues, UK, Spain and Ireland are the only old EU countries with government revenues under 40% of GDP in 2015. Sweden spends 50%, but it also has a balanced budget.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/dec/16/redundancy-fears-as-penguin-random-house-derecognises-staff-unions

Penguin Random House, the publisher of hits including The Girl on the Train, Fifty Shades of Grey and Jamie Oliver’s cookbooks, has terminated its collective agreement with unions after talks aimed at protecting staff redundancy terms broke down.

• 4 years later...
5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Local Government workers have rejected this year's pay insult and will be balloted on strike action. NHS workers have also rejected the Government's shit, so they could be coming out, too.

Interesting times.

How long they can peddle this pay rise brazenly is astonishing, if Marr is openly calling the PM out they're in trouble.

Johnson was on primetime again though today, pre recorded and no questions, telling the same line to the camera.

I know 'A lie told often enough...' etc, but this is actually very fucking visble, noticable and real and he, surely, can't keep plowing this barren field?

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

How long they can peddle this pay rise brazenly is astonishing, if Marr is openly calling the PM out they're in trouble.

Johnson was on primetime again though today, pre recorded and no questions, telling the same line to the camera.

I know 'A lie told often enough...' etc, but this is actually very fucking visble, noticable and real and he, surely, can't keep plowing this barren field?

Its upto labour to point this out as its clearly unrealistic to expect the media to point out all public sector  workers are in the middle of a 2 year pay freeze yet that twat is banging on huge pay rises.

35 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Its upto labour to point this out as its clearly unrealistic to expect the media to point out all public sector  workers are in the middle of a 2 year pay freeze yet that twat is banging on huge pay rises.

He clearly stated that wages have been stagnent for ten years, they have been in power for eleven, if people aren't figuring this shit out for themselves we're well and truly fucked.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

He clearly stated that wages have been stagnent for ten years, they have been in power for eleven, if people aren't figuring this shit out for themselves we're well and truly fucked.

I think that boat has well and truly sailed.

A few months ago they were blaming labour councils for closing hospitals and police stations. 

Just now, Arniepie said:

I think that boat has well and truly sailed.

A few months ago they were blaming labour councils for closing hospitals and police stations. 

They blamed Labour for THEM accepting dodgy donations today, so fuckall is beyond them, but the point stands, personal responsibility is important and is an issue.

• 8 months later...