You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Doesnt Baconface have a option on him,either first choice or match the fee.

Not that i could see him going for him with the players he has.

Personaly i like Shawcross,if we want him i think Gerrards words with him when he joined up with England after the Ramsey tackle could swing the deal.

If that Real Madrid player rumor was true (and it's not), who the fuck cares? And why would you care to speculate who it is?

All it says is a player has been offered to us. I imagine a fair few players are offered to us every week.

If that Real Madrid player rumor was true (and it's not), who the fuck cares? And why would you care to speculate who it is?

All it says is a player has been offered to us. I imagine a fair few players are offered to us every week.

Is correct. We're probably offered Poulsen, Cole and a few other top every club in Europe for all the good it does.

that said, there's always a chance of getting a VDV type bargain from Real as they have quite a few good players.

John Henry has admitted he was shocked by the sky-high wage bill the club was paying for a squad suffering from a chronic lack of depth and quality when his Fenway Sports Group consortium completed their takeover at Anfield in October.

"Our biggest concern in taking on this responsibility was this issue and it was a bigger issue than we feared. There was a huge multi-year pay-roll for a squad that had very little depth.”

Here we are , another quote, this time from Werner -

"'We are in this for the long-term and every pound that we make will strengthen the club.

'We do have great resources. We have a very high wage bill and it shouldn't be such that we are 12th in the league right now.

'I don't want to get the wage bill down, I want it to increase and we have the resources to do that - I just think we ought to be performing at a better level than we had been."

Here we are , another quote, this time from Werner -

"'We are in this for the long-term and every pound that we make will strengthen the club.

'We do have great resources. We have a very high wage bill and it shouldn't be such that we are 12th in the league right now.

'I don't want to get the wage bill down, I want it to increase and we have the resources to do that - I just think we ought to be performing at a better level than we had been."

Value for money. What's the point paying Cole and Jovanovic 70k each when we could be psying Hazard and Mata the same amount. (Hypothetically)

Aquilani give 'liverpool lifeline' apparently :

Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani has been handed an Anfield lifeline by manager Kenny Dalglish.

The 27-year-old Italian international spent last season on loan at Juventus.

He was expected to return to Italy this summer - either back at the Turin-based giant or with Fiorentina or AC Milan.

But responding to rumours of Aquilani's departure, Dalglish said: "We have been delighted with him in pre-season and we are delighted to have him as part of the squad."

Aquilani joined Liverpool from Roma in 2009 for a reported £17m.

Click to play

Liverpool parade summer signings

But in an injury-hit first campaign he only managed to make 26 appearances, scoring twice, before joining Juventus on loan for the 2010-11 season.

Dalglish made the comments at a press conference to unveil Liverpool's summer signings.

The Reds have spent more than £45m on midfielders Charlie Adam from Blackpool, Jordan Henderson from Sunderland and Stuart Downing from Aston Villa. Goalkeeper Alexander Doni, 31, also joined on a free transfer from Roma.

The Liverpool manager also confirmed that while Steven Gerrard has been recovering from a groin infection faster than expected, he is still going to miss the first month of the season.

The midfielder suffered a groin injury in March, which ended his season, and the club announced last week that he would miss the start of the forthcoming campaign because of an infection which required hospital treatment.

MARK LAWRENSON'S BLOG

Continue reading the main story

Liverpool building for a better future

One player hoping to take advantage of Gerrard's absence is 21-year-old Henderson.

He said: "Obviously Steven will be a massive miss but it's a real opportunity for us coming in to stamp our authority on the team and get our chance."

Adam, 25, will also be hoping to stake his claim in central midfield.

The Scot told the press conference at the Reds' Melwood training ground: "I'm delighted to be here as a Liverpool player.

"At Blackpool we got away with not winning every week. But this season we are expected to win every game and that's a good challenge for the lads and part and parcel of playing for a big club."

Downing, 27, is believed to be Liverpool's most expensive recruit at around the £20million mark.