You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Guest Jon Snow
There's a thread for him on RaWK... that's all I know. No need to thank me.

Well I don't go on RAWK I went on there once and got eye AIDs took me a month to recover.

Any journo thinking City have to sell first in order to buy really needs to give his head a scratch.

From BBC :

In the meantime, City have switched from their original plan to wait until Tevez was sold before signing Aguero, with Mancini believing he now needs to strengthen his striking resources irrespective of whether he is sold or not.

BBC Sport - Man City make progress on Sergio Aguero transfer

I mean who the fuck, in their right mind, would think they ever have to sell in order to buy? Never mind being a journalist and actually writing it.

Hamburg's left back Marcell Jansen linked by caughtoffside for 10 million. Has 35 caps for Germany which is decent for a 25 year old, but has been mostly kept out of side by Lahm.

Says he is quite attacking in the article. Add that to being tall and German and its sounds like he could be a decent buy if we are in for him.

Guest Jon Snow
Any journo thinking City have to sell first in order to buy really needs to give his head a scratch.

From BBC :

In the meantime, City have switched from their original plan to wait until Tevez was sold before signing Aguero, with Mancini believing he now needs to strengthen his striking resources irrespective of whether he is sold or not.

BBC Sport - Man City make progress on Sergio Aguero transfer

I mean who the fuck, in their right mind, would think they ever have to sell in order to buy? Never mind being a journalist and actually writing it.

Its fucked up ain't it , I am very sure tho Karma will catch up with them sooner or later.

So Aqui fails to move back to Italy again. I don't care either way, just want what's best for the club and himself, if he's happy here and we're happy to keep him, fine. But is it just me, or are Italian clubs really shit at trying to sign players?

Not responding to replies either, am going to enjoy my all 1 post count for a bit. (I'm a dork, after all.)

He's a great player but such a disruptive influence with his constant bitchin and moaning

Seems like it, agreed. The Bernabeu would be the perfect madhouse for him if so.

If Jovanovic or Aquilani really wanted to move and play football, then they'd accept the cut in wages.

Let's face it, they'd rather keep being paid and do nothing, or blag a loan.

How about looking at shared contracts, as they do in Italy?

Between us and Fiorentina, his wages remain the same as they do now but split, and then we'll have an agreement with Fiorentina that we won't recall him.

If Jovanovic or Aquilani really wanted to move and play football, then they'd accept the cut in wages.

Let's face it, they'd rather keep being paid and do nothing, or blag a loan.

How about looking at shared contracts, as they do in Italy?

Between us and Fiorentina, his wages remain the same as they do now but split, and then we'll have an agreement with Fiorentina that we won't recall him.

Sorry mate but I could not disagree more!

I agree that if you are on 60 grand a week and want to pay then you should be prepared to drop to 40-45 grand a week, but why should they take such a hit when we want them to go! Anderlecht are apparently (only one report) willing to offer up to 20 thousand a week, that is a huge drop. And the point is that he could go on loan and still cost us 40 grand a week.

I agree that if you are on 60 grand a week and want to pay then you should be prepared to drop to 40-45 grand a week, but why should they take such a hit when we want them to go! Anderlecht are apparently (only one report) willing to offer up to 20 thousand a week, that is a huge drop. And the point is that he could go on loan and still cost us 40 grand a week.

The market sets the price though, Whelan and if no-one is willing to pay him more than £20k (or whatever), that's his market price.

It then becomes a straight shoot-out between whether he wants to play or wants to be paid £60k and rot in the reserves with us.

No-one likes to take a hit in wages but the market is the market.

The market sets the price though, Whelan and if no-one is willing to pay him more than £20k (or whatever), that's his market price.

It then becomes a straight shoot-out between whether he wants to play or wants to be paid £60k and rot in the reserves with us.

No-one likes to take a hit in wages but the market is the market.

I understand that, but they asking someone to take a considerable drop in wages because we fucked up. Personally I think we would be better off paying him, and together with the transfer fee (say 2million) being paid to him.

We want our club to act without emotion and make decisions based upon what is best for the club, which I agree with, but why should players not do the same?

Bogarde used to fly in to Stanstead, run around the pitch 60 times on his own, and then fly back!

Did Jovanavic ask for a transfer? (im not to sure) if so then he'd pretty much have to lose whats left on his contract here,if not then wouldn't we have to pay him a compensation package ? (because were breaking his contract)so in theory if he did drop down to JUST £20k aweek then he'd have had a big payoff from us to cover the drop,I think he's holding out for a move to Spain or Italy myself he's 30 so i dont think he wants to finish up in Belgium for what is probably his last big move (i read back in january he turned down Wolfsburg because he wanted a move to Italy or Spain)obviously clubs in those countries aren't interseted so he may try to hold on until late August and if nothing new comes up he may well choose Anderlect to play regular.

I understand that, but they asking someone to take a considerable drop in wages because we fucked up. Personally I think we would be better off paying him, and together with the transfer fee (say 2million) being paid to him.

We want our club to act without emotion and make decisions based upon what is best for the club, which I agree with, but why should players not do the same?

Bogarde used to fly in to Stanstead, run around the pitch 60 times on his own, and then fly back!

I am not saying for a minute that what Jovanovic is (potentially) doing is wrong. It's entirely down to him - or any player - what he considers his market value to be and whether he wants to play or not.

Not sure of a solution here. Hopefully we do get rid of some of the deadwood though so we can get a shiny new LB and CB.

I'd like to keep Aquilani for another year, but as we need to sell to buy, we will probably have to sell him

I'm not sure we need to sell anyone to raise money for transfers. The "need to sell" bit is actually a need to remove players from the wage bill. Aquilani is on about £4m a year, Jovanovic about £3m a year (he got around £6m in the first year because his signing on fee was paid in the first year), Poulsen about £2.5m a year and Cole about £5m a year for example.

I've read recently about Man City needing to sell Tevez to fund any Aguero deal. They don't need to raise money for the transfer, but they need to cut the wage bill too. Because of the implications of FFP, they don't want to continue paying £10m a year to Tevez as well as something similar to Aguero.

I'm not sure we need to sell anyone to raise money for transfers. The "need to sell" bit is actually a need to remove players from the wage bill. Aquilani is on about £4m a year, Jovanovic about £3m a year (he got around £6m in the first year because his signing on fee was paid in the first year), Poulsen about £2.5m a year and Cole about £5m a year for example.

I've read recently about Man City needing to sell Tevez to fund any Aguero deal. They don't need to raise money for the transfer, but they need to cut the wage bill too. Because of the implications of FFP, they don't want to continue paying £10m a year to Tevez as well as something similar to Aguero.

Yes, I think that is the case here. We pay huge wages to squad players, and that is the main reason why we have to sell before we can buy now. If we could get rid of for example Cole we suddenly have released enough wages for a world class player like Aguero. But sadly the high wages they are on makes them very difficult to get rid of.

Bit surprised if we do loan Jay out, he was better than Lucas in the run-in last season IMHO.

Exactly what we needed, pitbull passion and some sublime passing and energy.

Jay Spearing is just another over-rated local player ... He will probably have a decent career at some weaker Premier League/top Championship club, but that's about it ...

Sorry if already posted and for sly sports link:

Emery - Mata could go

Valencia admit forward could leave for 'big-money' offer

Emery - Mata could go

Valencia head coach Unai Emery admits the club will struggle to retain Spain forward Juan Mata if the club receive a big-money offer for his services.

Los Che are keen for the 23-year-old to remain at La Mestalla and he also wants to stay, however, their finances are likely to play a huge role in the decision.

A host of Premier League clubs are being linked with the talented attacker with Arsenal and Liverpool very keen, while Manchester City and Tottenham are also said to be interested.

Mata, who has been capped 11 times by the senior Spain side and led their Under-21s to European Championship glory earlier this summer, claims he is happy at Valencia and focused on helping the team win trophies.

"Valencia has to be prepared for a footballer having to leave, either because is he is not wanted or because some big club wants to sign him," Emery told Cadena Copa.

"We want him to stay and Mata has also expressed his wish to remain at Valencia, but we know that if a big-money offer comes in from any club and it's good for both the player and the club, it could lead to his exit."

I know it's nothing we already don't know but clearly Valencia must be trying to drawn out any potential offers by repeating themselves in another statement...or bored journos fishing for news