You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Comolli and FSG Failed there first major test

Red Nick

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How are Southampton producing these talented kids (Bale, Walcott, Chamberlain) when our state of the art academy isn't bringing anyone through? Maybe we should steal their youth scouts.

They're being given a chance at Southampton. Kenny has started playing Martin Kelly as a regular, and I bet it won't be too long before pundits are calling for an England cap. It's not the scouting system, it's more a case of a manager having the arse to put them in the first team.

I'd be more interested in learning how a club that has been run as a complete basketcase like Southampton over the last few years appears to have a very effective youth policy.

Given a lot of the players that have made it have been brought in from elsewhere I'd say they concentrated on recruitment. Same way we recruited our way to the good runs in the youth cup recently.

How are Southampton producing these talented kids (Bale, Walcott, Chamberlain) when our state of the art academy isn't bringing anyone through? Maybe we should steal their youth scouts.

Both Bale and Walcott joined Southampton at 16 though.

Are current lot of 16/17 year olds that we've signed from elsewhere are doing pretty decent at the minute.

What a ridiculous thread. Yes what a bunch of cunts they are...

I think getting Tom Ince on a long term deal and telling his dad to shut up is more important personally. Both winger that have excelled at league 1 level. Both have the talent to go all the way. One we have, one would cost over £10m after add-ons. Over-priced.

Ince was on the bench for most of his loan stay at Notts County and failed to impress. Chamberlains been electric all season for Southampton who are arguably the best team in the division.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger wins race to sign Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain | Mail Online

If your serious about buying the best english youngsters then they should have pulled all the stops out to get this player.

You can talk a good game but if you dont deliver then whats the point

No but you have, it's called English.

Moving on though, why wouldn't Oxlade-Chamberlain want to play for Arsenal above all others at his age? He knows he will be given more than enough chances, he knows he will develop as a player and he knows regardless of his age that if he is good enough he will play in the premiership.

The lad probably made his mind up before we even put a bid in. Anyway if we get Suarez (the real test) then we've got by far the better player for now and now (given we desperately need CL football, is what matters most as long as we are also buying players that can improve in the future, like say 23 year old Uruguayan forwards.

No but you have, it's called English.

Moving on though, why wouldn't Oxlade-Chamberlain want to play for Arsenal above all others at his age? He knows he will be given more than enough chances, he knows he will develop as a player and he knows regardless of his age that if he is good enough he will play in the premiership.

The lad probably made his mind up before we even put a bid in. Anyway if we get Suarez (the real test) then we've got by far the better player for now and now (given we desperately need CL football, is what matters most as long as we are also buying players that can improve in the future, like say 23 year old Uruguayan forwards.

In fairness, we don't know what made him choose them. That might be the reasons they give the press, but in reality, tempting young players to a club is an art in itself posessed of all sorts of shady shit.

In fairness, we don't know what made him choose them. That might be the reasons they give the press, but in reality, tempting young players to a club is an art in itself posessed of all sorts of shady shit.

If I had no allegiance to Liverpool and I wanted to further my career in England I'd sign for Arsenal without a second thought.

We did. Malcolm Elias the lad who discovered all of these for Southampton was with us for a couple of years and signed Dalla Valle, Buchtmann, Wisdom, N'goo and a few others before leaving for Fulham.

Can't find the article now, but the speculation was that even though he's a Liverpool supporter, due to us not knowing who our manager will be next season, he'd prefer to go to a club where he knows for definite what the youth & management structure will be.

Edit: Fulham emerge as surprise favourites to land Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in £10million deal as Arsenal swoop hits loan switch - Goal.com

@ Digger's peg: That link is 4 days old...

Fuck Chamberlain if he prefers someone else. I am more worried that Pacheco isn't breaking into the team yet. He is 20 now and is behind 18 year old Shelvey in the pecking order. Our wingers aren't that great either... He signed a new contract but I am not confident about him making it here with us.

Nick, have you been posting on the BBC site too?

Nick from Liverpool via text on 81111: "Re: 1657 - I once scored a hat-trick of own goals on my debut for my new team, the third was volleyed into my own net, top corner, from six yards..."

(I just wanted an excuse to post it somewhere.)

Nick, have you been posting on the BBC site too?

Nick from Liverpool via text on 81111: "Re: 1657 - I once scored a hat-trick of own goals on my debut for my new team, the third was volleyed into my own net, top corner, from six yards..."

(I just wanted an excuse to post it somewhere.)

Sounds like an Alias for Jamie Carragher that

Surely that is the complete opposite of their stated goals.

We wont be relegated and we wont finish in the top 4 so surely its best to look to the future.

More importantly when the best young talent becomes available you have to be in the market for it which means taking a long term view on your investment.

Buy either the best or potentially the best, Adam and Suarez dont fit into that catefory

So we should only be in for very, very, very promising youngsters and Lionel Messi then?

Don't get me wrong I do sort of get what you're saying but we have to be realistic about our pulling power in terms of finances and current position, and our current first team. I would suggest that we should be in for people who can either improve our first 11 or have the potential to do so, rather than "the best".

So while yes, there should be no more Degens or Jovanovics etc., if we can afford and attract a player who will either be good enough to replace one of our best 11 (a loose-ish definition I know) or in the opinion of our scouts and youth coaches could do so with the right development, then I'm in, even if there is a player out there in the world who is better than him, but probably unobtainable.

As far as the question posed in the thread title - for me Comolli's test will be how he works with and assists Kenny, if Kenny wants someone and it's within budget but Comolli says "no I know better than you look at my record with Tottenham", then fail. If he can find players that Kenny is happy with like he did for Wenger at Arsenal, then pass.