You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Purslow,what goes around comes...............

Durango

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was, and he was temporary and he's gone too.

Purslow's job was to stop the club going bust for Hicks, Gillett and RBS, he was a £ guy not a football guy, he was rubbish at that part. There is some sort of masonic lodge for Prem League CEOs, Purslow wasn't allowed in because he wasn't a real CEO. He was never expected to stay in the job once those circumstances changed.

Ayres was expected to stay in his job because his circumstances hadn't changed and he was good at earning money for the club.

Nah Jim,

Marty and Christy job was to look after the banks interest,which they did,they got them their money back

I don't agree he was used by the board.

They had their reasons for appointing him (non footballing ones) and he accepted the job under those conditions, he was happy to be a patsy.

I agree buit i think that's sort of what she's saying.

They took advantage of the fact he was so desperate for the job he'd let Purslow continue to play Football Mannager with the club.

I agree buit i think that's sort of what she's saying.

They took advantage of the fact he was so desperate for the job he'd let Purslow continue to play Football Mannager with the club.

Possibly, although that would be at odds with 'he's a good man!'.

Either way get the bumbling buffoon out of my club.

Sadly I can't see it being as described, I think Purslows arrogance saw to the appointment and possibly Broughton, they tried to make it look as if they had a proper due process by bringing in Kenny to fool the fans and make it look like a considered appointment they had taken the time over when in reality Purslow wanted Hodgson from day 1.

Kenny threw a spanner in the works by taking one look at the shortlist (Short being the operative word) which surely they would have let Kenny draw up (If that wasn't a PR excercise I'll get my coat.) and applying for it himself. 'We don't want you Kenny' showed their true intentions, they never wanted to listen to the fans, nor to the expert, they overruled him, so it's clear they had made their mind up before that process began. Quite why they were so determined to hire Roy is hard to tell but my best guess is just Purslow's arrogance as I find it hard to see past that, it's normally the root of bad decisions and this was a horrendous abortion of an appointment. Broughton got off lightly but possibly taken in by Purslow, he strikes me as a manipulator but they were both representing unseen forces so it's hard to determine exactly what went on. Hopefully once Roy has been fucked off we will learn more about it as one may move to try and distance themselves from the deluded decision to appoint him and lift the lid on what went on for self preservation purposes as that's what the Purslows and Broughton's always do best at given it's the nature of their business.

Sadly I can't see it being as described, I think Purslows arrogance saw to the appointment and possibly Broughton, they tried to make it look as if they had a proper due process by bringing in Kenny to fool the fans and make it look like a considered appointment they had taken the time over when in reality Purslow wanted Hodgson from day 1.

Kenny threw a spanner in the works by taking one look at the shortlist (Short being the operative word) which surely they would have let Kenny draw up (If that wasn't a PR excercise I'll get my coat.) and applying for it himself. 'We don't want you Kenny' showed their true intentions, they never wanted to listen to the fans, nor to the expert, they overruled him, so it's clear they had made their mind up before that process began. Quite why they were so determined to hire Roy is hard to tell but my best guess is just Purslow's arrogance as I find it hard to see past that, it's normally the root of bad decisions and this was a horrendous abortion of an appointment. Broughton got off lightly but possibly taken in by Purslow, he strikes me as a manipulator but they were both representing unseen forces so it's hard to determine exactly what went on. Hopefully once Roy has been fucked off we will learn more about it as one may move to try and distance themselves from the deluded decision to appoint him and lift the lid on what went on for self preservation purposes as that's what the Purslows and Broughton's always do best at given it's the nature of their business.

Be interesting to see what's in Brian Reade's book,won't it?

I think the exchange might have gone something like this.

To Messrs John W. Henry and Tom Werner,

I, Christian Cecil Purslow, hereby tender my resignation from the board of Liverpool FC in the wake of my super-duper, snazzy suited performance in the High Court which resulted in the sale of the club to your esteemed good selves at NESV. Furthermore, I request that you remain in Boston for the moment and let the furore die down in the British media, before riding in to save the day. Myself and Ian Ayre are fully committed to ensure a smooth and seemless transition of the club and its day to day running despite us both offering to step down. I can help portray your good selves as knights in shining armour. After all, I turned that nasty old Rafa Benitez into the villain of the piece. Super job done there. Also, if you are considering a change in management, I’m your man. I’ve played Football Manager non-stop till my eyes bled, and I speak to Kenny all the time. If you need any further information or footballing advice, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours super-duperly,

Christian “The Saviour” Cecil Purslow.

Dear Christian,

Thanks for that but it’s not necessary. We’ll cover it from here. Oh, and we may be novices at understanding football/soccer, but I’m pretty sure we’ve grasped the nuances to at least the same level as you. After all, we use sabermetrics. Once again, many thanks for your efforts, but we think we can take it from here, with the help of Ian Ayre (we never got his resignation letter by the way. Whoops!).

John W. Henry and Tom Werner,

New England Sports Ventures.

Yer pair of strap-ons! I’ve been shafted by you and Ian Ayre, the fucking weapon! And sabermetrics? In case you didn’t know, football is played out on the pitch, not on a computer (Football Manager doesn’t count because that is real. I just signed two 18-year old midfielders from Barcelona for a song. They’re gonna be stars. STARS, I tell yer!) Thanks for nothing. Fuck off yer bad bellends and smell yer ma!

Christian “The Real Special One” Cecil Purslow.

I could be wrong.

Yer pair of strap-ons! I’ve been shafted by you and Ian Ayre, the fucking weapon! And sabermetrics? In case you didn’t know, football is played out on the pitch, not on a computer (Football Manager doesn’t count because that is real. I just signed two 18-year old midfielders from Barcelona for a song. They’re gonna be stars. STARS, I tell yer! Thanks for nothing. Fuck off yer bad bellends and smell yer ma!

Christian “The Real Special One” Cecil Purslow.

Purslow is Durango's great grandson??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Brian Reade is writing a book about LFC while in the clutches of Cancer & Aids and about the supporters fight to oust them. Think he's hoping to get it out (the book) around April.

I don't normally read football books (someone bought me Aldo's for Xmas and it'll be going straight into the charity box), but I think I may see my way to reading that.

I don't normally read football books (someone bought me Aldo's for Xmas and it'll be going straight into the charity box), but I think I may see my way to reading that.
For what it's worth, Aldo's was one of the better books of that ilk I've read. It was a long time ago though so my memory could be playing tricks on me.

His position as a non -executive director must be untenable?

I give him great credit for the work he put in to ensure the sale of the club went to the right people. Nobody can knock his role.

However, his decision to appoint Hodgson is so highly flawed how can the owners ever turn to him again for footballing advice? They have their own people for the financials.

Unless he was the only candidate, how the fuck do you select Hodgson with his recent record and previous history? Last season he finished three places lower than the season before with Fulham.

The first year he inherited a team near relegation and got them to 9th. AND THEN AFTER MAKING HIS OWN SIGNINGS I.E. NOW HIS TEAM, HE PROCEEDS TO END UP 12TH!!

He has won near fuck all - danish league - and has zero record in the premier. How the fuck did he get appointed??

The 'brand' will take a nose dive. Games are already not sold out. The corporates have taken a bit hit. Sacking Hodgson will costs a few million.

They must be asking serious questions of Purslow - maybe he is only being kept on to help fight the cancers if they mount a legal challenge?