You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Madden games

As a bumbling fool trying to learn the intricacies of NFL, I've been advised that buying a Madden game would be a good way to ensure that I have a clue what I'm doing when watching a game as it will help me pick the rules up.

If I was to do this, which game would you say I'd be best buying? Which is the best Madden? Why?

As a bumbling fool trying to learn the intricacies of NFL, I've been advised that buying a Madden game would be a good way to ensure that I have a clue what I'm doing when watching a game as it will help me pick the rules up.

If I was to do this, which game would you say I'd be best buying? Which is the best Madden? Why?

Madden 2011 is probably your best bet as they've added a new play selection option so that the game helps you pick the best play on offence and defence and the teams will be up to date. As you get more used to the rules and playing the game you can take the play calling assistant off and pick your own.

Every year Sky has a day they dedicate to totally new viewers of the NFL. They explain how plays work, what happens in different plays, what the players are called etc. It is normally very good.

There is a little about it here: Sky Sports | Video | NFL | News. But the other one normally lasts all evening, so 5+ hours. Very good if you are trying to get into the game. Not sure though, when they are going to hold the one this year.

Madden '92 is the best. The best introduction to NFL and the best NFL game of its generation.

I imagine the new ones will have a bamboozling array of buttons and playbooks, and no doubt all sorts of tactical nuances, which could be off-putting for the beginner.

I've got a Megadrive and Madden '92 and it still kicks arse.

Madden '92 is the best. The best introduction to NFL and the best NFL game of its generation.

I imagine the new ones will have a bamboozling array of buttons and playbooks, and no doubt all sorts of tactical nuances, which could be off-putting for the beginner.

I've got a Megadrive and Madden '92 and it still kicks arse.

Thats true. Same goes for the NHL series. NHL 94 was superb.

I have tried to play it a few times and I suck at it, I don't know about calling plays and all that shit and I don't like games where you control 1 guy out of 10 or however many it is. Also laying a good tackle seems really hard.

All in all I would have to say I don't enjoy playing it much at all.

You can play the as all the players on the team the same way you would FIFA, unless you're in superstar mode starting out as a rookie.

Bet thing to do if you're starting out is to limit yourself to 5 or 6 of the more simple plays with 5/10/15 yard options (Y post and curls are the easier of the plays from shotgun or standard).

Just get use to tossing it around and gradually add more as you get used to it. Trying a different play each time will just leave you confused.

What's everyone go too play, the one you know best and gets you out of trouble on 3 and long, or picks you up those few yards when you need it?

Mines Z Slant Y Post from the Gun - Wide Receiver and Tight End lined up on the right with WR running a slant and TE crosses the slant running a post route breaking right to the touchline (breaks at about 10 yrds) left sided WR runs a flat curl, HB does his thing shooting off to the left.

Always look to hit the TE first because if he's free early and you hit him as he breaks you pick up a big gain. If not the slant should be open by then. If both are marked then switch to the curl or check down to the HB as a last resort.

What's everyone go too play, the one you know best and gets you out of trouble on 3 and long, or picks you up those few yards when you need it?

Mines Z Slant Y Post from the Gun - Wide Receiver and Tight End lined up on the right with WR running a slant and TE crosses the slant running a post route breaking right to the touchline (breaks at about 10 yrds) left sided WR runs a flat curl, HB does his thing shooting off to the left.

Always look to hit the TE first because if he's free early and you hit him as he breaks you pick up a big gain. If not the slant should be open by then. If both are marked then switch to the curl or check down to the HB as a last resort.

Hail Mary. Run back. Fucking launch it. Catch. Win.

I realise mine is a bit more technical than yours Cardie, but you might be able to try it out on a lower level.