You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool keeping close eye on McLeish contract talks

JohnnyH

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest the boy
but I don't see how you can defend one and criticise the other

I think you'll find that the majority of those who reason out the situation with regards to Benitez realise that Wenger has sealed for Arsenal the most successful period in their entire history, and for that, like Benitez, he probably does also deserve a longer and fairer crack of the whip.

equally, you'll find the majority of those who are mindless where Benitez is concerned would have contributed to the Wenger witch-hunt of last season. then there are those who have the virtue of finding the middle way in both scenarios.

Bit like Rafa then?

Not that I'm defending Wenger, but I don't see how you can defend one and criticise the other. Whilst both have been in different circumstances.

I'm not criticising either really. Just responding to people who have a hard on for Wenger but his record isn't as good as Rafa's the last 5 years.

Explains the boring repetitiveness for once.

Explains the boring repetitiveness for once

The culture amongst some of our fans I.E. 'throw the new managerial flavour of the month at it and it will all go away' is depressing as it is wrong.

should of sacked Benitez in '08: only delivered a European Cup semi final; the cunt was living off Athens, Istanbul and an FA Cup!

ha. this beauty doesn't even need satirising.

That's exactly what I am saying, nail on the head.

John, not being funny, but what has something that might have happened 3 years ago got to do with this thread?

And I don't understand what it's got to do with Lance either

Happens all to often on here that someone is turned on, and then all their mates pile in.

Doesn't do the forum any favours

I was told I hit a new low by him. Just for having a bit of a dig at Balague. If it was about Rafa I would have kind of understood. No matter how low I may be accused of getting on here I just wanted to give Captain a little reminder of the lowest comments someone has EVER put on this forum to let him know I would never stoop as low as he did there.

It has as much to do with Lance as it does you really Andy but it didn't stop you from as you say ''piling in'' so I don't think you are in a position to have a pop at Lance when you do exactly the same thing. It is nothing personal against you Andy I am just stating (as Rafa would say) a fact. You have kind of proved Lance's point about you having a problem with him as well as others had a pop at Captain for it but I didn't see their names mentioned.

As you say, it doesn't do the forum any favours but I will be loathe to be accused of hitting a new low by the likes of Captain to be honest. I have met a lot of great Norwegian reds over the years who are smashing lads who love the club as much as me or you and it was an honour for me to do an interview with Torbjorn Flatin of the Kopite a few years ago. They are the lads I really respect. Not the likes of Captain after that shite.

That was a fucking stressful time as a Liverpool fan as you well remember Andy awaiting the results from that ballot.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I was told I hit a new low by him. Just for having a bit of a dig at Balague. If it was about Rafa I would have kind of understood. No matter how low I may be accused of getting on here I just wanted to give Captain a little reminder of the lowest comments someone has EVER put on this forum to let him know I would never stoop as low as he did there.

It has as much to do with Lance as it does you really Andy but it didn't stop you from as you say ''piling in'' so I don't think you are in a position to have a pop at Lance when you do exactly the same thing. It is nothing personal against you Andy I am just stating (as Rafa would say) a fact. You have kind of proved Lance's point about you having a problem with him as well as others had a pop at Captain for it but I didn't see their names mentioned.

As you say, it doesn't do the forum any favours but I will be loathe to be accused of hitting a new low by the likes of Captain to be honest. I have met a lot of great Norwegian reds over the years who are smashing lads who love the club as much as me or you and it was an honour for me to do an interview with Torbjorn Flatin of the Kopite a few years ago. They are the lads I really respect. Not the likes of Captain after that shite.

That was a fucking stressful time as a Liverpool fan as you well remember Andy awaiting the results from that ballot.

World of difference

I don't know, or wouldn't Captain if he walked in and slapped my in the grid

You know Lance, and you two are mates, and it wouldn't be the first time the cavalry has arrived out of nowhere to ridicule someone the second certain posters have their opinion questioned

The thing is John, you don't need it, and it kind of undermines your argument having someone coming windmilling in on your behalf, as does bringing up things that happened years ago.

Say what you want about me, I'm not bothered, but I don't need or want anyone to back me up, I'll stand my own ground.

In regards to Lance, i've stuck him on ignore, so it wouldn't be fair for to have a go at him, nothing to do with his opinion, more how he gets his point across.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Anti-Rafa Taliban?

What evidence do you have?

You've lost me?

Are we talking about Guillem, McLeish or the mythical ART?

Don't play that game, you and Molby were banging on about how he should fuck off three years ago on YNWA.

I've never despised/hared/disrespected Rafa, I've perhaps been sarcastic in my criticism of him but I have to admit recently I've been more vocal and 'snide'.

But that's only grown because of my frustration.

I've never despised/hared/disrespected Rafa, I've perhaps been sarcastic in my criticism of him but I have to admit recently I've been more vocal and 'snide'.

Ooh, you liar!

I call bullshit.

Your views on Benitez were unreasonable enough for people to question SoS in the early days solely because of your involvement coupled with your brow beating of anyone who questioned what they were trying to do.

I call bullshit.

Your views on Benitez were unreasonable enough for people to question SoS in the early days solely because of your involvement coupled with your brow beating of anyone who questioned what they were trying to do.

Well then they where bad beauts to take into consideration my opinion of Benitez at the time, because that didn't come into any involvement in SOS. If it did I would have put it aside for the greater good.

Anyway whats up with bringing up posts from two years ago?

Well then they where bad beauts to take into consideration my opinion of Benitez at the time, because that didn't come into any involvement in SOS. If it did I would have put it aside for the greater good.

Anyway whats up with bringing up posts from two years ago?

Seem to remember a whole thread where you ripped into Benitez on YNWA and it all went a bit tits up for you. It was another of your famous immature foot stamping fits you were prone to and people had finally had enough.

I only bring it up because it's the 5th or 6th time between ynwa and here that you've declared you've finally had enough.

Seem to remember a whole thread where you ripped into Benitez on YNWA and it all went a bit tits up for you. It was another of your famous immature foot stamping fits you were prone to and people had finally had enough.

I only bring it up because it's the 5th or 6th time between ynwa and here that you've declared you've finally had enough.

Well think of this as Stage 7 of having enough.

• 3 weeks later...

For the people on this thread turning their noses up to the likes of McLeish because of his track record (I am not saying he would be my first choice like should our manager leave in the summer but all the same I wouldn't be totally against the idea either) would do well to remember that we have a manager with much more resources than him and much better players who has them playing beneath themselves.

McLeish has his players playing way above themselves in a squad mainly of Championship players and has bought two good solid centre halfs for a pittance really and our manager hasn't beaten McLeish in 180 minutes of football this season.

We have also only put real daylight between us and Birmingham over the past month or so as well.

Arsene Wenger didn't have a ''track record'' as far as I know and look at the success he has had.

Edited by Juan Galonso

I wouldn't want McLeish or O'Neil. I'd rather go with someone younger in the Moyes mould before he joined them. The question is whether someone of that stature would get the time? I doubt those mentioned above would.

If we're not in europe next season, or at least not in the competition that matters, and a new manager comes in then I think he'd be afforded more time than a manager who came in with champions league football on the table. There'd be less money for a start and I think people would realise there was rebuilding to be done.

Guest the boy
For the people on this thread turning their noses up to the likes of McLeish because of his track record (I am not saying he would be my first choice like should our manager leave in the summer but all the same I wouldn't be totally against the idea either) would do well to remember that we have a manager with much more resources than him and much better players who has them playing beneath themselves.

McLeish has his players playing way above themselves in a squad mainly of Championship players and has bought two good solid centre halfs for a pittance really and our manager hasn't beaten McLeish in 180 minutes of football this season.

We have also only put real daylight between us and Birmingham over the past month or so as well.

Arsene Wenger didn't have a ''track record'' as far as I know and look at the success he has had.

I tried to stop reading at the part where you advocated Alex McLeish as manager of Liverpool, but some morbid curiousity drove me on. They had nothing to play for today, absolutely nothing, yet continued to play at home the same sterile, 9 men behind the ball tactic which has characterised Birmingham all season. I would refer to them as having 8 centre halfs as, Jerome and McFaden aside, that really is how they play. I think your ideas would unravel were you to see Scott Dann and Liam Ridgewell set out in a side which attempted to play even the occasional ball along the ground, or indeed even in a team which ventured out of their own half.

Arsene Wenger had in his early 40s won the French league, progressed deep into the UEFA Cup, and farmed through Monaco's system the likes of Henry and Trezeguet all the while playing attractive football. A comparison between Wenger and McLeish isn't tenuous - it's outrageous. Fuck it - at times this season I've lost as much patience with Benitez as the next man, but these ill-timed ramblings are ludicrous. Were we to be in the position of sounding out a new manager, then the only candidates can be found in foreign leagues.