You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ryan Babel - "We need money for the club!!"

PeeG

To those on twitter who have added Ryan Babel.

http://twitter.com/RyanBabel/status/7609475802

He had a Twitter interview for his followers last night. Thought I would ask him does he like Tom Hicks and George Gillett? or what he thought of the owners. His response "We need money for the club !!"

To those who haven't got twitter or who aren't following him, then check out the story below which includes a screenshot of it where he has 'retweeted' my question and answered it saying we need money.

EXCLUSIVE: Ryan Babel tells Liverpool FC owners - We need money! > Liverpool FC > Sport | Click Liverpool

Ryan Babel has lifted the lid on Liverpool's need to strengthen in the January transfer window by publicly stating, "we need money".

The 23-year-old winger made the announcement during an impromptu Q&A session with Reds fans on social networking website Twitter late last night.

When asked by one supporter what his views were on owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks, Babel replied: "We need money for the club!"

The frustrations of Dutch international Babel reflect those of the club's support who have become angered by the running of the club by the American duo since they took over the Premier League outfit in February 2007.

Paul Gardner, a 26-year-old Reds' fan and committee member of supporters group Spirit of Shankly, posed the question to the former Ajax starlet and believes that the outburst indicates further unrest at Anfield.

He said: "I saw Ryan was doing a Q&A with fans on Twitter, so I thought I would just see what a player's opinion is of the owners.

"It was to see whether what happens off the pitch affects the players. I asked him does he like and Tom and George and was expecting no reply or at most a yes or no reply.

"His answer doesn't directly answer the question but it shows that Tom and George's actions with lack of investment does filter down to the players and what they think the club needs. Their actions not only affects who the playing staff is but the mindset of the players.

"The fans know we need money and now we can see the players know this as well. Tom and George need to take note of this and sell up for the good of the club."

Liverpool are currently in an estimated £250 million worth of debt following a refinancing loan agreed with the Royal Bank of Scotland by Gillett and Hicks 11 months after they had assumed control of the boardroom.

It was reported last week that manager Rafael Benitez has been allocated £1.5 million to spend in the transfer market this month despite recouping up to £6.5 million on the out-of-favour duo of Andriy Voronin and Andrea Dossena, who secured moves to Dynamo Moscow and Napoli respectively in the past seven days.

Last week, Birmingham City saw a £9 million bid for Babel rejected by the Reds who are holding out for £12 million in the hope of recouping up to £16 million to reduce debts.

The move that will see Argentina winger Maxi Rodriguez trade Madrid for Merseyside is set to cost Liverpool £1.5 million - Benitez's entire budget. An announcement heralding his capture is believed to be imminent.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to be a member of Twitter to see his profile thingy ?

I went on it just now and it says he has 'Protected' his tweets.

He needs to accept you as a follower first before you can see it. The link above gives a screenshot of it.

Glad he's said it, it just throws that bit more shit in the direction of the owners, and any shit thrown at them is well needed because they're completely fucking the club up. People are already talking about the possibility of Torres being sold in the summer, and it's sickening.

Jesus lads!

This is a very significant comment. If Stevie or Carra said it people would be climbing all over themselves to congratulate them.

I know Babel has been shite, but this really confirms what we have known all along that the players are frustrated that there is no investment in the playing side.

Come on people, lets treat this the same as we treated StevieHs great work. I'm already sending a link to Dion Fanning over this side of teh water as I've asked if he'll be doing a piece next weekend on the recent mess as he missed the cut off on Saturday evening for the this weeks Sunday Independent.

Other should get on this.

Lets strike while the iron is still hot.

Jesus lads!

This is a very significant comment. If Stevie or Carra said it people would be climbing all over themselves to congratulate them.

I know Babel has been shite, but this really confirms what we have known all along that the players are frustrated that there is no investment in the playing side.

Come on people, lets treat this the same as we treated StevieHs great work. I'm already sending a link to Dion Fanning over this side of teh water as I've asked if he'll be doing a piece next weekend on the recent mess as he missed the cut off on Saturday evening for the this weeks Sunday Independent.

Other should get on this.

Lets strike while the iron is still hot.

Good call. It's not like Ryan has anything to loose on it. Also, it would force a comment from the board (who's yet to comment on the resignation of Cunt Jnr)