You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blackburn Away Match Thread

Monster Masch

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just watching Goals on Sunday watching the highlites of the Arsenal game. The way they attack depresses me. Fluid, fast, precise. Everything we are not.

When we attack it's in slow motion. Sideways pass, sideways pass, our to wings, take a man on? No, sideways pass, sideways pass, opposite wing, sideways pass, play to feet of Ngog or Gerrard, disposessed, try again.

Without Torres we're toothless

I'm just watching Goals on Sunday watching the highlites of the Arsenal game. The way they attack depresses me. Fluid, fast, precise. Everything we are not.

When we attack it's in slow motion. Sideways pass, sideways pass, our to wings, take a man on? No, sideways pass, sideways pass, opposite wing, sideways pass, play to feet of Ngog or Gerrard, disposessed, try again.

We're back to playing the same way as we did under Houllier. Of the outfield 8 are mainly there to stop the other team scoring and just prey Gerrard and Torres/Owen can nick something for us. After seeming to take a step forward last season we've gone 100 miles back.

They don't always play like that you know.

Ever see them playing bad? No balls at all.

I don't get to many aways and after yesterday it has to be said I'm glad. Such an average, disappointing performance. No creativity, no spark and nobody apart from Gerrard prepared to put their hand up and look to take the team forward. We were much better second half but there was just nothing, still. We only looked approaching dangerous when Johnson was on the ball because he is everything the rest of the team ISN'T - attack minded and ambitious.

What upsets me most of all is that Blackburn are appalling. They were there to be beaten and beaten well today, they didn't look to leave their own half. They didn't need to. The easiest way to stop Liverpool is to sit deep, they knew that and pulled out their game plan to perfection.

We have to be beating teams like that, but we wouldn't have scored yesterday if we had played until midnight. At least, and this is the only positive I can think of, we defended pretty well. And the Chief was immense. Other than that, this is as miserable as it gets at a football match without losing.

Just back from the game and it was piss poor. A lot of traveling and a lot of money spent to watch a team that looks half arsed.

We need to find some form and quick.

Fortunately I totally missed the game as a very good Norweigan friend and true Red came over here to get married. I can tell you a Norweigan wedding is much more interesting than watching the reds at present.

On a positive note its obviously true note as his wife is a true Red with seven baby reds between them.

Also one of the baby reds said they like Manchester UTD but mother soon explained in there family they could only ever be LFC supporters. Now thats a proper Norweigan family.

A positive story in depressing times

We're back to playing the same way as we did under Houllier. Of the outfield 8 are mainly there to stop the other team scoring and just prey Gerrard and Torres/Owen can nick something for us. After seeming to take a step forward last season we've gone 100 miles back.

It's depressing. I don't know were to put myself in the Rafa in/out debate, but I think this season should be his last. 2009/2010 is a write-off IMO we can only look forward but this is the squad that Rafa built and it's clear that we're going to struggle to be in the top 4 clubs in England this year. The fact that Everton played us off the park last week with their depleted squad speaks volumes

They don't always play like that you know.

Ever see them playing bad? No balls at all.

They do have shit games but they always look dangerous, if nothing else on the break. When we break away I don't think "Yes, here's a goal scoring chance" I think "Get it forward, no, no don't check back, that'll give them time to get back. Oh wait, we had all 11 men in the box for that set piece, no wonder we're not going to score"

I thought we were much better in the second half, although it really couldn't have gotten any worse after the first half 'performance'.

We created a couple of chances but to be fair, so did they and we could so easily have lost the game in the end.

The most frustrating aspect of the game for me, apart from the painfully slow build up and lack of movement, was the substitutions. Nabil El Zhar is just an average footballer, based on what i've seen of him so far, yet Rafa seems to rate him highly. When talking about having important players out injured, all season he's been using El Zhar's name and you can see that he obviously sees him as an important player based on the fact that he's back in amongst the squad and playing again.

It defies logic to me that El Zhar is fine to come on and player after months out whilst Aquilani isn't ready. I've always said that the biggest problem I have with Rafa is his tendency to make decisions that defy logic and that was yet another one for me.

The game was crying out for some creativity and it was clear that Lucas and Mascherano were not needed when we were chasing a winner.

At the end of the game this was our attacking front 6:

--------N'Gog

Kuyt--Gerrard--El Zhar

--Lucas--Mascherano

That's just not good enough for me.

So, the derby result just papered over the cracks like the filth game. Its so so disappointing to see something we can build on just evaporate away so easily. The team is now so fragile that any game away from Anfield is a real test.

One just wonders what does Gerrard and Carragher think what direction we're headed. You've got to feel for the both of them because surely any chance of winning a title looks as far away in the distance as it has ever done. The real challenge of last season now seems like a once in a lifetime experience.

I cant figure benitez. I cant figure his stubborness. I cant (and never has if the truth be told) figure his subtitutions. Or in this case, the continued non appearance of Aquilani.

If something isnt broke you dont fix it. But Benitez does. In a season where results have been eratic, we beat filth then he plays a weakened side in the lC and all momentum is lost.

If its broke, you fix it. But Benitez doesnt. We continue to leak goals from set pieces but he stubbornly embraces the system changing instead the players within it.

Aquilani wont get fit on the bench as Im certain others will have probably already pointed out. Many people have latched onto Benitez saying aquilani will start against Fiorentina. But if you read his quotes he's said no such thing. He's only said he 'may' start against Fiorentina.

But how long will Aquilani last seeing as he hasnt played any games recently? 45 minutes? 65, 75 minutes? Only one man knows and Im not convinced he really does.

Its dire but you stick with the Reds through thick and thin. The manager Im not convinced. I've never been convinced he'll win a title for us.

I think he needs to re evaluate the direction he's going in and more importantly, the direction he's taking us which this season is definitely backwards. The owners continue to get flack for the way they run the club. And rightly so. But Benitez needs to put his stubborness aside for the better of his team and quite possibly his job.

Its clear there's a real groundswell of opinion against his methodology. Only his staunchest supporters are fully behind him. I've said it before I'd keep him in the job until the end of the season but, with each poor results and us losing ground for even 4th, its gets harder and harder to maintain that opinion.

At the end of the day though, its the two owners who take that decision. Me? Im just looking at who will do a better job than Benitez because one thing I am convinced of, is that he wont be here at the start of next season.

raffas first thought is how not to lose. thats why we have 2 defensive midfielders playing. 3 if u count kuyt. if he plays aquillani it will be more attacking line up and he will have to drop lucas or mach and there is no way he would do that. might as well sell aquillani as he will never get the chance with raffas safety first tactics

So, the derby result just papered over the cracks like the filth game. Its so so disappointing to see something we can build on just evaporate away so easily. The team is now so fragile that any game away from Anfield is a real test.

One just wonders what does Gerrard and Carragher think what direction we're headed. You've got to feel for the both of them because surely any chance of winning a title looks as far away in the distance as it has ever done. The real challenge of last season now seems like a once in a lifetime experience.

I cant figure benitez. I cant figure his stubborness. I cant (and never has if the truth be told) figure his subtitutions. Or in this case, the continued non appearance of Aquilani.

If something isnt broke you dont fix it. But Benitez does. In a season where results have been eratic, we beat filth then he plays a weakened side in the lC and all momentum is lost.

If its broke, you fix it. But Benitez doesnt. We continue to leak goals from set pieces but he stubbornly embraces the system changing instead the players within it.

Aquilani wont get fit on the bench as Im certain others will have probably already pointed out. Many people have latched onto Benitez saying aquilani will start against Fiorentina. But if you read his quotes he's said no such thing. He's only said he 'may' start against Fiorentina.

But how long will Aquilani last seeing as he hasnt played any games recently? 45 minutes? 65, 75 minutes? Only one man knows and Im not convinced he really does.

Its dire but you stick with the Reds through thick and thin. The manager Im not convinced. I've never been convinced he'll win a title for us.

I think he needs to re evaluate the direction he's going in and more importantly, the direction he's taking us which this season is definitely backwards. The owners continue to get flack for the way they run the club. And rightly so. But Benitez needs to put his stubborness aside for the better of his team and quite possibly his job.

Its clear there's a real groundswell of opinion against his methodology. Only his staunchest supporters are fully behind him. I've said it before I'd keep him in the job until the end of the season but, with each poor results and us losing ground for even 4th, its gets harder and harder to maintain that opinion.

At the end of the day though, its the two owners who take that decision. Me? Im just looking at who will do a better job than Benitez because one thing I am convinced of, is that he wont be here at the start of next season.

That pretty much sums up exactly how i feel about it. The really depressing thing is, while other mangers make adjustments when things are clearly going worng, he just persists with them, presumeably cos he's completely convinced he can never be wrong. We're condemmed to go around in circles while he's in charge. I'd get Hiddink in personally but i know that's highly unlikely.

Yeah, and they're trailing the Champions League on ITV with the line, "Arsenal are through so it's time to turn on the style."

Can't imagine 'em saying the same fucking thing about us at the moment.

It is Houllier in disguise Gerrard and Torres for Owen & Gerrard.

I know its very simplistic but its the reality at the moment.

Interestingly Gerrard and Carra havent come out in support of the manager, they have stated support for the team but not the manager.

Gerrard flew down the tunnel at the final whistle yesterday. Looked very unhappy

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think Stan lives in Spain.

Yes I do indeed.

As some say we were better second half but that would not have been hard, as we were fucking awful first half. As bad as I have seen.

On the coach home Rafa was getting it big time and it is impossible to defend him with some of his decisions are dumbfounding to say the least

Very worrying times.