You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pennant speaks out about his time at Liverpool.

Unrighteous

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scored one and made two! What a tit, if Pennant takes another look through his Liverpool record he should find Rafa was well with in his rights to bench the useless twat.

He only scored 3 goals during his time here. And his crosses were almost always of the floaty variety, so the target had to generate all the power to make something of it.

"I didn't understand it. There are players at Liverpool and you think 'how is he getting a game?', but Rafa has faith in them. He thinks some of the players are the best thing since sliced bread.

This bit is about Kuyt I reckon.

He only scored 3 goals during his time here. And his crosses were almost always of the floaty variety, so the target had to generate all the power to make something of it.

Watching Pennant's crosses was like watching them in slow motion while the rest of the game was at normal pace. Still, I suppose he was a tad better than that Chilean wonderkid Gonzales. Wonder what happened to him?

It couldn't possibly be? Surely even Pennant is not that delusional/thick?

Kuyt, the right winger/right sided attacker, puts Pennant to shame.

In fact Kuyt the footballer, puts Pennant to shame.

Just guessing but it was ultimately Kuyt playing on the right in the 4-2-3-1 which ended Pennant's Liverpool career. I agree that Kuyt is a much better player.

Jermaine Pennant claims Rafael Benitez attempted to turn him into a "robot" during his days at Liverpool.

The winger spent three years working under the Spaniard at Anfield before making a switch to Spanish outfit Real Zaragoza this summer.

Pennnant struggled to secure regular first-team football while on Merseyside, with Benitez renowned for his rotation policy.

The 26-year-old admits he grew tired of being prevented from playing his natural game, claiming he was unable to perform to the best of his ability due to the incessant demands placed upon him by his manager.

"When I was on the touchline all I could hear was Benitez giving me directions," Pennant told the News of the World.

"At times I'd think 'why don't you just put the batteries in and turn me into a robot'.

"Sometimes I just wanted to play my natural game, but there were so many instructions: how to go forward, how to defend.

"He has been through so many players, so many strikers, so many midfielders that he takes the best attributes out of them."

Pennant has also revealed he endured a distant relationship with Benitez, meaning that he was never able to fully understand why he was overlooked on so many occasions.

He added: "I didn't understand it. There are players at Liverpool and you think 'how is he getting a game?', but Rafa has faith in them. He thinks some of the players are the best thing since sliced bread.

"Rafa didn't have confidence in me. I'd play one week, then I'd be out of the team and think 'hold on a minute - last week I scored one and made two. How does that work?'

"He can be cold, but that's his style. He has a special relationship with Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher - but that's because they are Liverpool. There were times when he took offence with me because he could see how frustrated I was.

"I don't know the reasons, but he's won the European Cup and you can't argue with that. It kills half of Liverpool that they haven't won the league for so long. Something can't be right and they need to start looking into it quickly."

Pennant is delighted to have broken his Anfield shackles after completing his move to Spain, and claims he has set his sights on forcing his way into the England fold this term.

He added: "The ambition is to get into the World Cup squad. I've never been named in a squad, but I've never given up hope. (Fabio) Capello has twice been a manager out here and if he comes to Spain he's only coming to watch one player.

"Ian Wright got into the England team when he was 26 or 27 and I know it can be done.

"My assets are pace, going past players and crossing. I don't think anyone in that squad crosses the ball as well as me." --- O RLY?

Not alot wrong with that

Just guessing but it was ultimately Kuyt playing on the right in the 4-2-3-1 which ended Pennant's Liverpool career. I agree that Kuyt is a much better player.

He is. Also a much better person.

We still should have got money back on him, no matter what way you look at it he is a decent player.

Mistakes made all around on that one and I never wanted him anywhere near the club to begin with. That one I did get right.

"Rafa didn't have confidence in me. I'd play one week, then I'd be out of the team and think 'hold on a minute - last week I scored one and made two. How does that work?'

How often did that happen?

Thats what I thought. He only scored 3 goals. He must have been permanently pissed if he thought he played for a week, scored and set up goals, then was dropped and came back to repeat the cycle.

Thats what I thought. He only scored 3 goals. He must have been permanently pissed if he thought he played for a week, scored and set up goals, then was dropped and came back to repeat the cycle.

He's confusing his time with us and his time with the prison team....

In fairness I thought he applied himself quite well when he was here but he'd be hard pressed to argue that we've improved without him in the team.

I don't know why Benitez bought him, and especially if he wanted goals out of him. Pennant never scored shit loads, he always stuck to the right. I honestly sometimes wonder if Benitez thoroughly scouts some of the players we buy. I thought Pennant was a good player anyway, he was just in and out of the team because he wasn't a Benitez player, which harks back to the start about why he bought him in the first place...