You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Where were you when..." thread

Carradona

1) Woke up and heard it on the radio on a Sunday morning I think.

2) Working, and logged into a Liverpool mailing list when a message came through saying a jet had accidentally hit the Twin Towers. Got to a tv just as the second hit.

3) Woke this morning to Moyles attempting empathy and playing non-stop Jacko records. Quickly turned on Sky Sports.

Chernobyl, Enniskillen and Hillsborough were other moments that stopped me in my tracks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) When Diana died I was on a ferry over to Liverpool. My oh my wasn't I happy to see the sign on the Shankly Gates telling me the match was off. Sky TV had a camera and they were getting peoples reaction around the ground. They were talking to some local who was saying that it was understandable that they were calling the game off. I was standing there trying to decide whether I'd call her a selfish cunt or selfish hoar when they asked me what I thought.

2) 9/11 I was in the office which looks out at the runway at Dublin Airport. Was watching the whole thing happen on tv, and a few hours later, one after another were all these 747s landing at Dublin having gone across the atlantic and that was the first place they could stop because Shannon filled up in no time.

3) I was in Gibneys pub in Malahide in Dublin last night having a couple of pints with some mates and some fella walked over and turned the tv on to Sky news and the whole pub just went silent watching the breaking news. It was quite eerie actually.

4) I remember sitting with my mum and dad watching the Berlin wall come down and my dad telling to "fucking remember this, fucking remember this. This is historic".

5) I remember my Mum crying in the kitchen when they announced that Lennon had been shot and killed.

6) I remember sitting with my Dad on holidays in Termafeckin in Co Louth when the news that Elvis was dead came on the little black and white tv we had in the little wooden gaff we'd my parents and grandparents had rented.

Guest Dog Chaser

9/11

Was in College at the time in a IT class, the news was sent to me via email, watched events unfold at home afterwards.

Diana - went down the stairs early and put on the tv and then ran upstairs to wake my mum and dad and tell them

9/11 - at school, I was walking up the corrider when a girl was running down it screaming planes had crashed into buildings and that the world was going to end

Jackson - in from my friends house put on the computer and saw it, thought it was a joke at fist

7/7 - In Maths and my fat grock of a teacher came in smiling excited to tell us that our country was under attack from terrorists.

I got a related one to this was on the Tube during the failed bombings on the 25th of July 3 weeks later we got kicked off the tube at Golders green due to reports of a bomb got off and jumped a bus, halfway back to the centre of London this middle eastern bloke got on with a rucksack the entire bus shit themselves. i got off (yeah i know ethnic stereotyping an all that) had to walk back to the Southbank from Highbury. got back to work and my boss went ape shit as they knew i was on the tube and was trying to contact me to see if i was safe.

with the other three on carradonnas list

1) woke up by mi dad telling me diana was dead, i went ape when a certain sport was cancelled pissed me right off that did and i've never forgiven the selfish bitch for dying on that day.

2) In work when the planes hit, then phoned my brother in the US to see if he knew what was going on, I became the central hub as numerous web-sites went down

3) was watching mister men dvd's with my daughter when got a txt then was on here

[/b]

On a Sunday ?

Diana : Just out of bed and turned on the telly to hear the news. I was more pissed off that a certain sporting event had been called off because of it.

9/11 : At my mates just getting into the car to go over the water to try and play golf. We didn't realise the full extent until we got back.

Jacko : In the chat room on here. Simonlfcgreen broke the news to me.

Falklands war : In my room with my best mate getting stoned' date=' when dad shouted up to me that the General Belgrano had been sunk.

The Bradford fire : In ours watching the results come in on the BBC vidi printer. The image of that man walking out of the stand in flames is as vivid now as when it happened.[/quote']

Me too, very pissed off.

Does anybody rememeber when Diana died we were meant to be playing Newcastle and It was called off? I do as me and my Dad travelled over for it.

I remember getting in from school and my dad rang my Mum from work to tell her. She then turned on the news

I found out on here about jackson. I will always rememeber it because of what happened on Wednesday.

1) Diana dying - I was working as a bouncer, a really shit job but had to be done at the time. There was this pub called the breakfast club, mainly a place where all the pill heads went when the clubs kicked them out. It came on one of the TV's there and the whole place went silent which was pretty weird. I had an early finish because the club owners gathered that no one would want to kick off at such a time.

2) 9/11 -My baby daughter was in her 2nd day on this earth, the ex had a telly above her bed, at first I thought some dull fucker had gone off course and drove his plane into the first tower by mistake, 30 mins later I was thinking what a shit place I had just brought this new life into.

3) Michael Jackson -Was half watching Question Time when I realised that CUNT McKenzie was on, potted about on the PC and it cut to news flash, had to go wake the wife up because even though I'm not a huge fan it is still one of those moments.

Diana - Woken up on the Sunday (?) morning by my mum who was crying. Was surprised but didn't really know who Diana was. I was just pissed that my cartoons had been cancelled.

9/11 - Was at school. Came home to find my mum crying (theres a theme here). Sat and watched it for a while but got bored and went to my room to play Pro Evo.

Michael Jackson - My mates and I left a pub to go to another. On our way in we heard some daft chav bint shout "Michael Jackson's dead?!" to which we replied "Shut the fuck up ya daft cunt." Went in to the bar and they had Sky Sports on, WWE Raw was on. As I stood at the bar (It was my round) they turned over to Sky News and for the next 20 minutes we watched as the daft twats changed their minds as to whether he was dead or in a coma.

Hillsborough - I was too young to really understand what was going on, I just wanted the second half to start.

Diana - At a mates house in Gloucester nearly spilling spag bol (veggie of course) on myself as I fell asleep eating it. Next thing I knew I woke up to the news report of her dying and sang Dingdong the witch is dead.

Jill Dando - During a free break on my A levels and I bet a friend a fiver it was a wind up seeing as she worked on Crimewatch and such.

Twin Towers - I was on my first holiday with just my mates in Majorca and absolutely cacked myself when there was some loud beeping on the plane back 3 days later. Turned out my cousin had been up there 4/5 days before and had sent a postcard of the towers on my return.

Tube bombings - At work worrying about if Dad had taken the tube that morning, he took the bike that day.

MJ - At work here (on nights) mate came straight out with it, I didn't even know he was ill.

The Bradford fire : In ours watching the results come in on the BBC vidi printer. The image of that man walking out of the stand in flames is as vivid now as when it happened.

I used to work with a guy who was an apprentice at Bradford at that time. He told us that one player had met a bird the week before and given her and her family tickets for the game. Both her and her dad died - can you imagine how that felt?

1) Diana dying - Woke up hungover, well, more like still pissed, Mum told me. Then told me off for underage drinking

2) 9/11 - Woke up hungover, well, more like still pissed, rang work to tell them I was ill, my cousin who I worked with told me.

3) Michael Jackson - Mustered enough energy to make it into work, hungover. Mate in work told me, probably the last person on earth to find out.

One more

4) Istanbul - sitting in a very rustic cafe/bar/internet cafe in Manaus (most intimidated place I have ever been, actually it's probably the only genuinely intimating place I have been. Lot's of drugs/prostitution, everywhere etc) in the middle of the Amazon rainforest watching it on a rutsy 14" TV, absolutely bladdered with no regard for my own safety. Lots of very angry kill-you-for-a-fiver types walking around with machetes, all of whom were supporting AC because of Cafu/Kaka/Serginho/Dida et al. Thought a guy in the toilets was gonna do me, so I brandished my cosh, which I always kept down my kecks, to warn him off, he did so. Later found out he was the barman. Good times.

1) Diana - Woke to my Dad telling me that she'd died. Didn't know what to make of it at first...............then the Warburton Crumpet addiction kicked in and all was well again.

2) 9/11 - I was in work when Steve Shite announced that a plane had hit one of the towers. I turned to my brother and said its a terrible accident, then we got word that another one had hit. Terrorists we both said straight away.

We all spent the afternoon speculating who was behind it all. One things for sure, I'd never heard of Al-Qaida before that day.

3) MJ - I only found out when I got to work on Friday morning. One of the drivers said that Jacko was "Brown Bread" to which a reply came......"Thats the first time he's been brown since 1980!!!"

4) Freddie Mercury - This is the wife's choice. She was in a music lesson at the time when news broke that everybody's favourite rock "bottom worrier" had shuffled off this mortal coil.

5) 7/7 - I was at work in Southport when Rock FM (Radio City could be a nightmare to get) news mentioned there had been eletrical problems in the London Underground. Later reported to be electrical explosions then finally they said it was a terrorist attack.

6) Istanbul - Sat at home with my head in my hands after a truly shambolic 1st half. I'll always remember my Dad saying "An early goal in the 2nd half will change the game"...............sadly my Dad can't predict Lottery numbers.

Diana Dying, got up and put teletext on to check the weather, that was front page.

9/11 Just got home from town, put on news as phone rang, my dad telling me to put on the news.

Jackson on here.

Harrison driving somewhere.

Challenger, as said before just come home from school, at the time i was in a phase of wanting to be an astronaut.

15/4/89 playing on sandy lane park, old skem, radio was on, fell off a sea-saw spent the rest of the day in casualty

Chernobyl, i remember hearing it on john cravens newsround.

7/7 At home had the news on.

1st Iraq war, turning on the TV and absolutely shitting myself thinking we're all going to get nuked.

Zeebrugge me and my sister had stayed up late watching horror films, the last one had just finished and a news flash came on as we were putting another on.

Berlin Wall, my mother yelling me to "get my arse down stairs and watch history in the making"

i think i've bored you enough now, i have a memory for shit like this.