You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mcmanaman to me only done it against the lower teams alright he scored a few good goals but only an average player in a team of underacheivers

how he won 2 european cup medals was beyond me.

When he got interviewed all you got out of him was Everton this Everton that

Are you including his goal in the Champions league semi final at the Nou Camp and his goal in the Final of the same year.:whistle:

If his shooting had matched the rest of his game he'd have been the best player in the world when we had him. Unfortunately it didn't.

I don't agree with gkmacca, Roy Evans definitely got the best out of him. Souey played him out on the right wing and it didn't really work - countless dribbles down the line followed by a pass back to Rob Jones to cross it in. Once he had the freedom of the pitch he was unstoppable.

He had this brilliant technique of running while bringing the ball forward with the outside of his boot. It allowed him to run as fast with the ball under close control as most players could run without the ball.

I was mystified at this so tried it out and it works. So why the fuck does no other bugger do it?

Great player, and I disagree that he was inconsistent (he often got doubled up on or manmarked). His last season he was playing with an injury.

He'd be ace in the current team.

i wish we had someone who was as good as him now, i thought he was world class and i also think the stick he recieves is bang out of order, he carried the team toward the end of his career here,just remember all the great goals he scored,theres not many players around today who can score goals like he used to,

the reason he deserves stick is he treted the fans like crap,

when he used to do interviews about his contract etc he used to always say Liverpool are the only club for me, well sign the contract then he never.

Anytime he done an interview he always mentioned Everton

Rember the first demonstration after the game against Gilette and hicks when fans stayed behind he said on setanta. " why are they complainning "

enough said!

well thats in my opinion!

My recollection is that we agred to sell him to Barcelona for £12M and once we showed him he was dispensible, something broke down between him and the club. After that he looked after his own interests, signing on a Bosman for real Madrid and, to be fair, going on to showcase his stuff at the pinnacle of European football, as we were a bracket below at the time.

He was brilliant and at one point was totally unstoppable. I can only agree with the people who say we would have been fucked without him.

His shooting was grim at times but some of the goals he scored were stunning; weird! His relationship with Fowler on the pitch (no doubt off as well) was brilliant to watch.

He had this brilliant technique of running while bringing the ball forward with the outside of his boot. It allowed him to run as fast with the ball under close control as most players could run without the ball.

I was mystified at this so tried it out and it works. So why the fuck does no other bugger do it?

i've seen kewell do this plenty playing for the socceroos :whistle:

I loved watching him play, at times he was fucking amazing, possibly the best dribbler I've seen, even better than Barnes. Unfortunately, whereas Digger's end product was usually devastating, and he could shoot with both feet and head the ball, Macca's shooting was often a bit powder puff.

He was still a brilliant player though, despite those deficiencies, and we'd have been fucked without him in the 90's.

Woah there, big fella. Better dribbler than Digger? He was great at going off on a mazy one (C. Peter Crouch 2006), but Barnes was more direct and would go through players at pace using his strength to ride really physical challenges and his skill to keep the ball glued to his boots. At the end of it was usually a goal, too.

As for Macca, up until recently he'd have been in my all-time eleven on the right. However, Gerrard would be there now. He was still ace though and a plaer of his quality would massively increase our chances of winning the league.