You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Box Jellyfish v South American Harpy Eagle

Remmie

Box Jellyfish v South American Harpy Eagle  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Box Jellyfish v South American Harpy Eagle

• Box Jellyfish
    • South American Harpy Eagle

200px-Koeln_wrm_1044.jpg
I'll tell you what I know: The South American Harpy Eagle (Harpia harpyja) is the largest and most powerful raptor found in the Americas, usually inhabiting tropical lowland rainforests in the upper (emergent) canopy layer and sometimes dwelling in the deep seas looking for multi-eyed prey.

Its name references the harpies from Ancient Greek mythology. These were poisonous wind spirits that took the dead to Hades, and were said to have a body like an eagle and the face of a human. Linnaeus argued, in his Systema naturae [1758] that the Harpia harpyja is infact the same creature that ate out Prometheus liver on the Caucasus mountains.

Like in Jason and the Argonauts? Good call.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not the the most venomous thing on the planet at all. The daddy long legs is the most venomous thing on the planet. But it is pointless because it cant bite trough things ha ha. Thats why a lot of people are scared of them.

According to wikipedia and the mythbusters team, you would be incorrect

There is an urban legend stating that daddy long-legs spiders have the most potent venom of any spider, but that their chelicerae (fangs) are either too small or too weak to puncture human skin; the same legend is also repeated of the harvestman and crane fly, also called "daddy long-legs" in some locales. Indeed, pholcid spiders do have a short fang structure (called uncate). However, brown recluse spiders also have uncate fang structure, but are able to deliver medically significant bites. Either pholcid venom is not toxic to humans or there is a musculature difference between the two arachnids, with recluses, being hunting spiders, possessing stronger muscles for fang penetration. [1]

In 2004, the Discovery Channel show MythBusters set out to test the daddy long-legs myth (season 1, episode 13 "Buried in Concrete"). After measuring the spider's fangs at approximately 0.25 mm (average human skin thickness varies from about 0.5mm to 4mm), the show's host was apparently bitten, although the bite produced little more than a mild short-lived burning sensation. This appears to confirm the suspicion that pholcids can penetrate human skin, but that their venom is practically harmless to humans. Additionally, recent research by Alan Van Dyke has shown that pholcid venom is actually relatively weak in its effects on insects as well[5].

According to the University of California at Riverside, the daddy long-legs spider has never harmed a human and there is no evidence that they are venomous to humans.[6]

One reason why these spiders are said to be so dangerous could be that they regularly prey on other spiders, including the black widow (Latrodectus spp.), which itself can be dangerous to humans, with the reasoning that the preying spider must be even more venomous; which is incorrect. (Pinto-da-Rocha et al. 2007:4)

i have high expectations for the box jellyfish to win the entire competition this year, but i have to admit that the eagle might expose the slim weakness in the jellyfish defense.

however, i have to go box jellyfish. too much potential to go out in the first round.

it would only take the smallest margin of error on the eagles part and he would feel the fatally venomous sting of the box jellyfish.

The eagle is twenty pounds of flying death. The box jellyfish is floating poisonous snot.

The eagle has more style and class.

Nobody is saying that the Jellyfish is aesthetically exquisite, simply that it's effective and deadly.

Nobody is saying that the Jellyfish is aesthetically exquisite, simply that it's effective and deadly.

I take all factors into consideration, including which one I think would make the more decent cup of tea. The eagle would make an excellent medium strength tan coloured cuppa. The box jellyfish would put the milk in with the tea-bag before the water - he is that much of a cunt.

Both of these animals need to kill from above but it's clear to me that juxtaposition if key in this duel. The Jellyfish is ultimately much more deadly but without a superior vantage point it's very, very ineffective. Until the jellyfish grows wings it'll never stand a chance.

Do you think a kid on a beach would be able to kill a Harpy Eagle with a twig? No, thought not. Eagle wins, hands down.

I take all factors into consideration, including which one I think would make the more decent cup of tea. The eagle would make an excellent medium strength tan coloured cuppa. The box jellyfish would put the milk in with the tea-bag before the water - he is that much of a cunt.

hmmm...very good point. never thought of that.

kind of sorry i can't rep you for that analysis, since i had to neg you earlier for uttering threats to cats.

The Myth Busters episode was NOT conducted w/Daddy Long Legs. They used (presumably in error) what is commonly called the American Cellar Spider. Daddy Long Legs do not spin webs, & If you watch closely they will "try" and fang the stuffing out of you if you hold them by their bunched legs and allow/rub their body/torso against your finger.

But they are fighting each other not humans, therefore these statistics are irrelevant, I may aswell produce statistics on total field mice ended.

Important questions:

- Would the Eagle be able to get any purchase on the Jellyfish?

- Would the Jellyfish' venom manage to penetrate through the tough feathery exterior?

- What's their beef?

- Who let the dogs out?

- Why do birds suddenly appear?

You're all overlooking an obvious fact. The jellyfish would be completely harmless to the eagle. Its barbs would not be long enough to penetrate the thick plumage of the majestic bird. Eagle for the win.
Keep up dribble chin

Both of these animals need to kill from above but it's clear to me that juxtaposition if key in this duel. The Jellyfish is ultimately much more deadly but without a superior vantage point it's very, very ineffective. Until the jellyfish grows wings it'll never stand a chance.

Do you think a kid on a beach would be able to kill a Harpy Eagle with a twig? No, thought not. Eagle wins, hands down.

Unless of course the Box Jellyfish enters into an unholy alliance with a Phillippine Eagle (the only eagle to surpass the Harpy in size) and arranges to sting a small child for the eagle to eat in return for the Bird lifting him gentle out of the water ever so briefly to carry him above the Harpy eagle mid flight thus giving him the juxtaposition as you put it!!!

BOX. JELLYFISH. CHAMP.