You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

22 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Just as a curious aside, Tuareg tradition has men covering their faces and women leaving theirs exposed.

This adds nothing to the debate, but I think it's interesting.

Yeah, Volkswagen has always been a bit weird in their Terms and Conditions. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Just as a curious aside, Tuareg tradition has men covering their faces and women leaving theirs exposed.

This adds nothing to the debate, but I think it's interesting.

Not really a tradition per say, more to do with protection. But they are a very interesting civilisation. Shame they are having to move into cities or set up villages as farmers instead of being nomads.

7000 odd years I believe they have been about.

A2AEB15A-FDC2-4075-8698-C2042382F025.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

In Iran?

Yemen?

Saudi?

I know it's really tempting to discount absolutely every example of things that don't line up, we all already agree with the accounts where men are actually forcing women to do things in other countries, but I'm talking about the likes of the women in the videos I shared, the ones wearing the hijab? How is that different? You know, letting people do what they want. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I know it's really tempting to discount absolutely every example of things that don't line up, but I'm talking about the likes of the women in the videos I shared, the ones wearing the hijab? How is that different? You know, letting people do what they want. 

Fella’s who are of Muslim faith aren’t recommended to cover up to stop women being attracted to them do they?  Or to stay pure for an imaginary god are they?

Come on, your an intelligent fella. This is recent debate is particularly about oppressive states and the very ambiguous Muslim religious texts demanding of women covering up because of it benefits them being pure for Allah.

Catholicism and other religions wiped that shit a while ago. However, admittedly there are sadly still sections of some religions that haven’t changed their attitudes towards their own women. 

Plus I should be negging you for that shit Tourag gag. 

8 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Fella’s who are of Muslim faith aren’t recommended to cover up to stop women being attracted to them do they?  Or to stay pure for an imaginary god are they?

Come on, your an intelligent fella. This is recent debate is particularly about oppressive states and the very ambiguous Muslim religious texts demanding of women covering up because of it benefits them being pure for Allah.

Catholicism and other religions wiped that shit a while ago. However, admittedly there are sadly still sections of some religions that haven’t changed their attitudes towards their own women. 

Plus I should be negging you for that shit Tourag gag. 

It was fucking horrific, that gag. 

Here's the way I see it. It's actually really simple, and I'm pretty sure AoT will agree, anybody forcing women into anything is entirely wrong and it's oppressive. That doesn't matter what country it's in. There's lots of oppression in those countries, far worse oppression than wearing some cloth on your face or hair, wrong though that is. Where the disagreement starts is listening to young Muslim women, as free as you or I, from different Western countries (and if you read back, you'll see this actually started about what Western women were saying), and some say they want to wear it and they give thoughtful, articulate reasons for wanting to wear the hijab. How can I sit here and say I'm against oppression of women in one breath and tell them what they can and can't wear in the next. That's crazy. 

I'm absolutely no apologist for tyrannical shitbag states like Saudi Arabia (the nation I've repeatedly called the worst country in the world on here), I'm talking about freedom of women of different cultures to express themselves the way they see fit. We should listen to them, because it's a case of individual freedom. That's not - absolutely not - an argument in favour of forced wearing of, well, anything. 

• Upvote 6

@A Red Here you go pal.

The Swiss government wants fines of up to CHF1,000 ($1,000) for people who break a ban on face coverings in public places.

This is part of a bill sent to parliament on Wednesday to implement the so-called “burqa ban” proposed by right-wingers, which won a narrow victory in a referendum last year. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/04/20/quebec-canada-religious-hijab-turban-ban/

They had to over-ride our constitution, the basic laws under which we live (and thrive), to do it, but hey-ho, if it keeps people from expressing their religious beliefs, a small price to pay.

And as for the impact?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/bill-21-impact-religious-minorities-survey-1.6541241