You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Don't you think it's just a little bit self indulgent. In most of the songs I get the impression that John Squire has wondered a bit off the track and carried on fucking about with his guitar, while the rest of the band all stood there looking at each other blankly.

Not at all!

Ten story love song, Your star will shine, Begging you, Tightrope, Good times, Love spreads. There's a lot of classics in that album that makes it very underrated for me.

See I don't think that they are classics. They're reasonable songs, but for me classics is overstating how good they actually are. I listened to it again this morning and came to the conclusion that the album is ruined by John Squire. There's no subtlety to any of the songs at all. They clearly finished the album and went "warbly guitar - check, ridiculously long atmospheric album intro - check, many years in the making - check, drugs - check, ego clash - check, this has all the vital ingredients to be the best rock album ever!".

But they were wrong.

Mersey Paradise, She Bangs the Drums, Sally Cinnaman, I Wanna Be Adored, I am the Resurrection, Made of Stone, Fools Gold, Elephant Stone, Waterfall, This is the One, Ten Story Love Song, Love Spreads and many many more are just absaloute genius.

Oasis we're phenomenal and their first 2 albums we're also genius but for me the Roses just had something more about them. All the songs above and as i said, many more are just ridiculously good. I think it was Noel Gallagher who said "They had it all, they could've been bigger than The Beatles". Such a shame it went the way it did.

Mersey Paradise, She Bangs the Drums, Sally Cinnaman, I Wanna Be Adored, I am the Resurrection, Made of Stone, Fools Gold, Elephant Stone, Waterfall, This is the One, Ten Story Love Song, Love Spreads and many many more are just absaloute genius.

Oasis we're phenomenal and their first 2 albums we're also genius but for me the Roses just had something more about them. All the songs above and as i said, many more are just ridiculously good. I think it was Noel Gallagher who said "They had it all, they could've been bigger than The Beatles". Such a shame it went the way it did.

No-one's quite justified why any of these songs class as genius yet. They're good, but why are they genius?

Adored - Best intro and opening track ever. Wonderful build up when its kicks off after a minute and a half its just immense. Pure arrogance and brilliance.

Resurrection needs no explanation of it's genius.

Sally Cinnamon and Mersey Paradise are just perfect pop songs. Fill you with happiness from the opening second till the last. Just wonderful uplifting music.

She Bangs The Drums - The bass line rocks, the lyrcs rock and it's all about being hopelessly in love. What else do you want from a great song :D?

Made Of Stone - Probably one of the most atmospheric songs i've ever heard. It just kicks off a feeling in you, stirs the soul if you will. Browns vocals are at an all time high on this song in my opinion. Just this tone of sarcasm as he whispers his way through it. Brilliant.

This is the One - Epic. Reni. That is all.

Waterfall - Like IATR, i don't need to explain it's legendary status, it speaks for itself.

Ten Story Love Song is just a beatiful beautiful tune and a rare high point on Second Coming.

Elephant Stone - My Favourite Roses tune. So fucking uplifing with such a sad meaning to it. Inspired and catchy as a motherfucker.

Obviously music is all about opinions, but these are mine. No other band has ever reached me as much with their music in so many ways as the Roses. I wish i was a kid in the late 80's and i wish i could see them live one day.

Guest TK-421
They're good, but why are they genius?

Something intangible, something that's difficult to measure or put your finger on.

It's genius because it's hard to identify what elevates it above almost everything else from the Madchester era, but you just know that it is.

Something intangible, something that's difficult to measure or put your finger on.

It's genius because it's hard to identify what elevates it above almost everything else from the Madchester era, but you just know that it is.

Yeah thats what i meant! Didn't need to write all that shit did i?

Guest TK-421
Yeah thats what i meant! Didn't need to write all that shit did i?

Heh, I enjoyed reading your post mate, some interesting thoughts on the Roses.

I was thinking of the first Roses LP in my post above. I wouldn't class The Second Coming as genius but it's very good in parts.

Heh, I enjoyed reading your post mate, some interesting thoughts on the Roses.

I was thinking of the first Roses LP in my post above. I wouldn't class The Second Coming as genius but it's very good in parts.

I agree. There are a couple of wonderful songs on it. I love Your Star Will Shine too. Obviously not an absaloute classic but just a lovely touching song.

The whole of that first album though is just stupidly good. No wonder they couldn't follow it up.

I think they're getting stick for taking so long to release the second album here but weren't they caught up in legal wrangles for the best part of those six years, with their record company producing songs they didn't want released and them trying to have too much of an influence on their direction? I'm not surprised that the initial impetus was lost during that time before the second album was made. I love the Second Coming, by the way, in no small part due to the fact that I got into them late (maybe going down the too cool to like them route?) so listened to the second album with no anticipation or waiting.

Either way - cracking band and ta to the thread starter; they'll be going on the stereo in T minus 1 minute.

Guest TK-421
I agree. There are a couple of wonderful songs on it. I love Your Star Will Shine too. Obviously not an absaloute classic but just a lovely touching song.

I think it has a few moments where it comes close to the level of the first LP but not enough. I love Ten Storey Love Song and Daybreak and the way they are linked together, and also How Do You Sleep which wouldn't sound out of place on the first LP.

I think you've all picked out the standout songs on TSC, I just think that it's so over the top. The first album's appeal to me was that it was musically better than it sounded. You picked out odd subtleties in the music which you had to really listen for. The bass playing in particular was superb.

Can't arue with that. TSC was an okay album but no where near the first. And yeah the bass kicked ass on TSR.

I wish i was a kid in the late 80's and i wish i could see them live one day.

I was and no you dont because it would seriously destroy your perception of them.

The Stone Roses were shit live. Spike Island was an abomination; really a joke. I'm not just going off that one performance though which was famously bad, I saw them in a decent venue as well and still thought they were poor live. All arrogance and posturing not enough effort given over to the music.

Years later I heard Tony Wilson say something about one of the main differences between Liverpool and manchester bands was that manchester was all about attitude and liverpool was much more about melody, that certainly summed up the stone roses for me.

and its a shame because on record they were great and when it came out i thought the first album was one of the finest things I'd ever heard.

Now i've played it so much that i can only really listen to the first couple of tracks then skip to the end and resurrection, i think i just kind of grew out of the stone roses over the years by a combination of overplaying them and negative live experiences.

I was and no you dont because it would seriously destroy your perception of them.

The Stone Roses were shit live. Spike Island was an abomination; really a joke. I'm not just going off that one performance though which was famously bad, I saw them in a decent venue as well and still thought they were poor live. All arrogance and posturing not enough effort given over to the music.

Years later I heard Tony Wilson say something about one of the main differences between Liverpool and manchester bands was that manchester was all about attitude and liverpool was much more about melody, that certainly summed up the stone roses for me.

and its a shame because on record they were great and when it came out i thought the first album was one of the finest things I'd ever heard.

Now i've played it so much that i can only really listen to the first couple of tracks then skip to the end and resurrection, i think i just kind of grew out of the stone roses over the years by a combination of overplaying them and negative live experiences.

They we're class at Blackpool, seen that gig so many times and they we're fucking brilliant. Spike Island was a farce because of the sound wasn't it? The wind apparantly just blew all the sound away and hardy anyone got a decent listen to them.

Squire, Reni and Mani we're wonderful players of their instruments and while Brown can't sing he has a presence that means i'd always go and see him. It's something intangible about the fella unlike Liam whose voice live now is just a fucking abomination.

Guest PaddyBerger15

I can't add anything to this thread that hasn't already been said. So I wont, so there.

Other than to say I agree with virtually everyone who has posted, except Hamstrung as he comes from Halifax.

I especially agree with Storm Trooper TK and Olly Waffle. An d l19red is right, the Roses were a real disappointment live. Lots of 'don't you know who we are' type crotch grabbing and not enough playing. The Mondays were a talentless rabble musically compared to the Roses, but at least they gave it proper energy and made it a good live experience. The Inspiral Carpets were an excellent live band and they could play. I liked them alot in the late 80's.

• 8 months later...

Bump.

Been listening to the Stone Roses again over the last few days and they were a cracking band. I wanna be adored is a truly ace song. I like the Second Coming as an album, granted it sounds like one long jamming session, but it has some real moments. Ten Storey Love Song is magnificent. They still get 9/10 from me after all these years.

I've had my ipod all day in the background, gave both Roses albums a listen as I haven't listened to them in a while. You forget how awesome they are.

Also had a bit (well a lot) of Smiths/Morrissey on, aswell as Hendrix, AC/DC, and I've been testing the waters with Metallica.

I have truly got my motherfucking rock on today! Air guitared to the max.

Adored - Best intro and opening track ever. Wonderful build up when its kicks off after a minute and a half its just immense. Pure arrogance and brilliance.

Resurrection needs no explanation of it's genius.

Sally Cinnamon and Mersey Paradise are just perfect pop songs. Fill you with happiness from the opening second till the last. Just wonderful uplifting music.

She Bangs The Drums - The bass line rocks, the lyrcs rock and it's all about being hopelessly in love. What else do you want from a great song :D?

Made Of Stone - Probably one of the most atmospheric songs i've ever heard. It just kicks off a feeling in you, stirs the soul if you will. Browns vocals are at an all time high on this song in my opinion. Just this tone of sarcasm as he whispers his way through it. Brilliant.

This is the One - Epic. Reni. That is all.

Waterfall - Like IATR, i don't need to explain it's legendary status, it speaks for itself.

Ten Story Love Song is just a beatiful beautiful tune and a rare high point on Second Coming.

Elephant Stone - My Favourite Roses tune. So fucking uplifing with such a sad meaning to it. Inspired and catchy as a motherfucker.

Obviously music is all about opinions, but these are mine. No other band has ever reached me as much with their music in so many ways as the Roses. I wish i was a kid in the late 80's and i wish i could see them live one day.

Yes, yes, yes - two of my favourites (even if they are practically the same song...)

Elephant Stone - awesome.

You missed out Standing Here, you naughty boy.