You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Excellent work.

Which series have you seen so far? Star Trek the next gen from season 3 onwards and DS9 season 3 onwards were top drawer. The dominion war arc in DS9 is class. The other shows I'm not a huge fan of to be honest except discovery which is immense.

The films are good but quite hit and miss, the 'trilogy' of the wrath of Khan, search for Spock and voyage home were ace.

So, I’ve watched the three Kelvin Timeline movies, all of DSC, TOS S1 and half of S2.  I have to admit, TOS is a struggle. The ideas are great so it keeps me going, but it’s incredibly hammy. I decided to have a break and watched the first half a season of ENT, which I actually quite like. I had a quick taste of both VOY and DS9, and I know I’m going to like both. TNG I saw some out of order when it was airing and I’m looking forward to watching it after finally struggling through TOS. 

I take it youve seen everything?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So, I’ve watched the three Kelvin Timeline movies, all of DSC, TOS S1 and half of S2.  I have to admit, TOS is a struggle. The ideas are great so it keeps me going, but it’s incredibly hammy. I decided to have a break and watched the first half a season of ENT, which I actually quite like. I had a quick taste of both VOY and DS9, and I know I’m going to like both. TNG I saw some out of order when it was airing and I’m looking forward to watching it after finally struggling through TOS. 

I've seen pretty much all of it yeah except Enterprise, I just thought it was too soon for a new show after Voyager ended as that was mightily flawed. From what I saw of enterprise it was terrible in all honesty.

The next gen was 'my' star trek as it was what was on telly when I was growing up. It's still the best show too in my opinion with arguably the three best characters in all of star trek, Picard, Data and Worf.

From seson 3 onwards it's brilliant - they got a new writer called Michael piller who made the show all about the characters rather than sci fi stuff and 'alien of the week".

There's a two parter called the best of both worlds where Picard gets kidnapped by the Borg and it still remains the best TV I've ever seen.

The kelvan films are okay for what they are but they're not really star trek, there's no real depth to them and in fact in some ways they take the piss a bit out of star trek.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

There's a two parter called the best of both worlds where Picard gets kidnapped by the Borg and it still remains the best TV I've ever seen.

That was a great one, with the aftermath/ PTSD. I'd add 'Chain of Command' to that as well, with the attempted brainwashing and breaking of Picard's will.

What made it even more special was finding out that Patrick Stewart had always idolised David Warner (the good David Warner, not the cheating wanker, obviously), and was in awe when filming with him. There was an article about it but I can't find it, however, this one is close:

David Warner, who played Gul Madred (after having appeared as other characters Star Trek V and VI), told StarTrek.com in a 2011 interview that he didn’t realize at the time that he was helping create some of TNG’s finest moments. “I couldn't (tell),” he said. “I was not surprised that it became so well regarded. I took over the role on three days' notice. I couldn't learn the show in that time. There was too much technobabble and dialogue that doesn't come naturally to me. So they wrote everything up for me. I don't mind people knowing this. Every line I said, I actually was reading it over Patrick's shoulder or they put it down there for me to do it.” Cue cards? “Cue cards, yes,” he replied. “So, after I finished it, I thought it worked, which obviously it did. But, no, I didn't think ‘I'm in the middle of making a classic episode.’ I got the makeup on, read the lines and hoped for the best. And it turned out to be a classic episode. Isn't that nice?”

http://www.startrek.com/article/chain-of-command-part-ii-24-years-later

Don't know if the title is linked to 1984, but guess it might be: "The final, most essential command of the Party is telling people to reject the evidence of their eyes and ears."

“There… are… four… lights!” 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

That was a great one, with the aftermath/ PTSD. I'd add 'Chain of Command' to that as well, with the attempted brainwashing and breaking of Picard's will.

What made it even more special was finding out that Patrick Stewart had always idolised David Warner (the good David Warner, not the cheating wanker, obviously), and was in awe when filming with him. There was an article about it but I can't find it, however, this one is close:

David Warner, who played Gul Madred (after having appeared as other characters Star Trek V and VI), told StarTrek.com in a 2011 interview that he didn’t realize at the time that he was helping create some of TNG’s finest moments. “I couldn't (tell),” he said. “I was not surprised that it became so well regarded. I took over the role on three days' notice. I couldn't learn the show in that time. There was too much technobabble and dialogue that doesn't come naturally to me. So they wrote everything up for me. I don't mind people knowing this. Every line I said, I actually was reading it over Patrick's shoulder or they put it down there for me to do it.” Cue cards? “Cue cards, yes,” he replied. “So, after I finished it, I thought it worked, which obviously it did. But, no, I didn't think ‘I'm in the middle of making a classic episode.’ I got the makeup on, read the lines and hoped for the best. And it turned out to be a classic episode. Isn't that nice?”

http://www.startrek.com/article/chain-of-command-part-ii-24-years-later

Don't know if the title is linked to 1984, but guess it might be: "The final, most essential command of the Party is telling people to reject the evidence of their eyes and ears."

“There… are… four… lights!” 

Class that, yeah that is an incredible episode, with Ronnie Cox (Dick Jones!) Also outstanding. Always makes me laugh when people slag off Star Trek yet it's attracted some of the best actors and writers of their generations and inspired engineers, astronauts and civil rights activists.

TNG has loads of classic episodes and because very few are connected you can watch them in no particular order. Yesterday's Enterprise is immense as is The Inner Light, which is quite beautiful. I wrote a piece on it for SFX a couple of years back.

20170915_203410.jpg

20170915_203400.jpg

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Heh, not quite. 13 movies are Blu-Ray 1080p HDR. Blu-Ray 1080p for TOS, TAS, TNG, ENT and DSC. DVD of DS9 and VOY. 

Deep Space Nine and Voyager are both on Netflix. Just had a quick look at them and certainly look better than 480p. Looks upscaled to 720p maybe. 

Might be worth signing up for a month for the free trial when you want to watch them. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Deep Space Nine and Voyager are both on Netflix. Just had a quick look at them and certainly look better than 480p. Looks upscaled to 720p maybe. 

Might be worth signing up for a month for the free trial when you want to watch them. 

Yeah, there were a couple of interesting threads about DVD vs Netflix. The general consensus seems to be that DVD is better overal but they’re pretty close. Netflix apparently has an interlacing issue, although it looks slightly better colour correction, but darker because of it losing a little bit of detail. General both not great. 

DS9 and VOY will probably never be released in HD. TNG didn’t make the money back. They’d have to go back and redo all the CGI from scratch, too. It’s a shame. 

16 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Been catching up on Voyager and Enterprise on Netflix.  Picking and choosing interesting episodes rather than watching the entire series right through.  Both are interlaced with mediocre to absolutely superb storlines.

Really enjoyed Enterprise, espcially Season 3 with the Xindi threat story arch running throughout the entire season.  One of the best seasons of any Trek series imo.  Thoroughly compelling viewing, with the Enterprise dispatched to nullify the Xindi threat, with the experiences influencing the Prime Directive and eventually setting in motion the United Federation.  The conflicts in morality and where the line is add an interesting element to the arch.

Enjoyed Voyager, espcially the Borg storylines (Scorpion, Unimatrix Zero etc).  Species 8472 could have been fleshed out far better than it was, with a lot of potential unrealised imo.

DS9 next in line.  Discovery has been superb and looking forward to the next season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mukky said:

Been catching up on Voyager and Enterprise on Netflix.  Picking and choosing interesting episodes rather than watching the entire series right through.  Both are interlaced with mediocre to absolutely superb storlines.

Really enjoyed Enterprise, espcially Season 3 with the Xindi threat story arch running throughout the entire season.  One of the best seasons of any Trek series imo.  Thoroughly compelling viewing, with the Enterprise dispatched to nullify the Xindi threat, with the experiences influencing the Prime Directive and eventually setting in motion the United Federation.  The conflicts in morality and where the line is add an interesting element to the arch.

Enjoyed Voyager, espcially the Borg storylines (Scorpion, Unimatrix Zero etc).  Species 8472 could have been fleshed out far better than it was, with a lot of potential unrealised imo.

DS9 next in line.  Discovery has been superb and looking forward to the next season.

I think Voyager's failings actually fed into what made Battlestar Galactica a great show. Ron Moore the creator was a former trek writer and he said he liked the sound of Voyager, but said it shot itself down with things like the unlimited supply of new shuttles or the fact damage was repaired the next week or there were no food shortages. The writers basically bottled out and turned it into a poor man's next generation. Even the maquis stuff died off pretty quick and they all became one big happy family.

A brilliant episode called Equinox where they find another, smaller federation ship that's falling apart and where everyone has basically become a ruthless cunt illustrated what it could have probably been. 

You fellas who haven't seen DS9 are in for a real treat. It pioneered multi arc storylines long before box sets were a thing and some of the secondary characters like Damar, Weyoun, Martok and Garak are fucking brilliant. 

The Jem H'adar are also probably my favourite star trek race. A race of Jim McDonalds. What could be more awesome?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Each to their own but I can’t think of anything worse. 

I’ve never watched Star Wars, Star Trek, the matrix, lord of the rings, GoT and a load of other sci-fi/fantasy bollocks. 

Has no appeal whatsoever. 

Game of Thrones is ace 

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Each to their own but I can’t think of anything worse. 

I’ve never watched Star Wars, Star Trek, the matrix, lord of the rings, GoT and a load of other sci-fi/fantasy bollocks. 

Has no appeal whatsoever. 

I’m not really into a sci-fi/fantasy stuff. I don’t like Star Trek and have no intention of ever watching Game of Thrones. The original Star Wars films are ace though, as were the toys. Did you not have any of them?

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Shit character though, and shit show. Not to piss on your chips mate!

I’m actually enjoying it, mate. It’s deffo not good, but then I think TOS is shit in a lot of ways too. But, you know, Star Trek ain’t it. 

Have you seen seen the Star Trek Discovery ‘Short Treks’ that they’ve been running? There’s four 10-15 minute episodes. Well worth watching. 

17 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’m actually enjoying it, mate. It’s deffo not good, but then I think TOS is shit in a lot of ways too. But, you know, Star Trek ain’t it. 

Have you seen seen the Star Trek Discovery ‘Short Treks’ that they’ve been running? There’s four 10-15 minute episodes. Well worth watching. 

Yeah the original is dated badly now, TNG and DS9 were the highlights for me, although it was actually the films that were my introduction to Trek. Discovery is class though, I watched the last few episodes over again in the mirror universe and it's just fucking immense.

Nah I haven't seen them yet, aren't they only available in the states?

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah the original is dated badly now, TNG and DS9 were the highlights for me, although it was actually the films that were my introduction to Trek. Discovery is class though, I watched the last few episodes over again in the mirror universe and it's just fucking immense.

Nah I haven't seen them yet, aren't they only available in the states?

Yeah, DSC is great. Some hate it, but that was always going to happen. 

Yeah, States and torrents/megalinks. I’m sure I could hook you up if needed? They’re good, especially 2 and 4.

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, DSC is great. Some hate it, but that was always going to happen. 

Yeah, States and torrents/megalinks. I’m sure I could hook you up if needed? They’re good, especially 2 and 4.

Quality, cheers pal but I'll wait as I'm sure they'll be out here soon to whet the appetite!

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

@Section_31

So, they announced they’re doing a ‘black ops’ Star Trek focused on Section 31. 

Yeah not sure what to make of it to be honest, they seem to be going a bit 'Marvel Universe' with the whole thing but I'm not complaining at this stage. That being said, I don't think Yeoh is that good an actress in all honesty. Not sure she can carry the series alone, although Alan Van Sprang might be able to if he's involved. 

Trek needs Isaacs back!