You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The McCanns...

Chris

As much as I wish the Mcanns well in their search, it’s the timing that strikes a nerve with me. It will keep the care home scandal of the front pages for a day or two , they’ll find Jack the Ripper next week

There might not be a trial. It's only at the investigation stage. If it was this new suspect and the police gather enough evidence, he might just own up to it. 

Plus, I don't get the more money angle. The family aren't asking for more money, to my knowledge? Neither are the British police investigating this? Why would they be asking for more money in respect of an investigation being carried out by the German police?

Plus, the "the money must be running out" shouts seem to come with the same ignorance level as the £10k home working expenses for MPs during coronavirus. Even if the police wanted more money, it wouldn't be going into their personal accounts. It'd have to be accounted for. It's very difficult to see how the officers in this investigation could make personal gain by artificially stringing the investigation out by intentionally trying to pursue false leads. The officers weren't employed just for this investigation. They'll likely still have jobs if the investigation ends. They'll just be moved on to other investigations/departments. It doesn't add up. 

As for Amaral, I'm not too familiar with him. But, I believe that he's always been fairly convinced that the family did it. Maybe he's wrong and he's unwilling to admit so and that might be clouding his judgement about the new suspect being made a scapegoat. I thought I read somewhere that he also had issues with other nations police forces being drafted in as he believed this sent out a bad message re: the competence of the Portuguese police. This could be another reason why he's not willing to let go of his initial theory. 

Oh, and I say all this as someone who thinks it was disgraceful for the parents to leave their child unattended and who initially thought that they could be involved in her disappearance. 

But, I've moved on from that belief now. There's been millions spent on the investigation. I don't see the McCann parents as being some sort of master criminals who could abduct/hide/kill their own daughter but do so while apparently leaving absolutely no evidence whatsoever that one of the many investigation teams could use to charge them. 

Plus, the whole cover up theories rely on a multidimensional conspiracy being agreed on between the family and the British, Portuguese and, now, the German police forces. Again, that doesn't really add up for me. 

The simplest explanation as to why nothing has happened to the parents might be because they didn't do it, meaning that there is no evidence that can be used against them. 

Plus, it's circumstantial at the moment, but the profile of the accused and his travel history and past crimes seem to fit the bill and warrant further investigation, for me. 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Neither are the British police investigating this? Why would they be asking for more money in respect of an investigation being carried out by the German police?

You're wrong about this, mate. There is an ongoing live British police investigation under the guise of "Operation Grange", via the auspices of the metropolitan police.  It has cost the British taxpayer £13m to date.  Every six months or so they secure additional government funding to pursue the matter. 

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

You're wrong about this, mate. There is an ongoing live British police investigation under the guise of "Operation Grange", via the auspices of the metropolitan police.  It has cost the British taxpayer £13m to date.  Every six months or so they secure additional government funding to pursue the matter. 

Sorry, I meant the British police aren't playing a part in the current investigation into the German suspect. I thought that this was being done by the German police? 

21 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I'll be delighted if he's tried and convicted.  A little girl is missing and presumed dead, so justice should be done.  

And the trial would make compulsive viewing.  I'd be following that for sure, it would be the trial of the millennium.  

Won’t wash with me.  You are dying for it to have been the parents. Hateful. Although it shames me a little, I will be amused at the hours you’ve spent on the conspiracy sites, pretending to be an expert in DNA, Portuguese law, forensics, psychology etc etc etc. Fucking ghoulish behaviour. 

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Sorry, I meant the British police aren't playing a part in the current investigation into the German suspect. I thought that this was being done by the German police? 

It's a British led investigation. The German authorities are cooperating with them.  See the announcement below. 

http://news.met.police.uk/news/operation-grange-update-and-appeal-403826

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Won’t wash with me.  You are dying for it to have been the parents. Hateful. Although it shames me a little, I will be amused at the hours you’ve spent on the conspiracy sites, pretending to be an expert in DNA, Portuguese law, forensics, psychology etc etc etc. Fucking ghoulish behaviour. 

No, I don't have any personal stake in this.  Like I said, if it's the German guy then charge him and give him a trial.  

I don't care if it doesn't wash with you, I'm not remotely interested in persuading you. 

• Downvote 1

Reading about this Christian Brueckner, and he seems like an extremely compelling suspect who ticks every box for the kind of person who would commit a crime like this. It beggars belief that he wasn't identified by police at a much earlier point.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Reading about this Christian Brueckner, and he seems like an extremely compelling suspect who ticks every box for the kind of person who would commit a crime like this. It beggars belief that he wasn't identified by police at a much earlier point.

Agree with this

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:

No, I don't have any personal stake in this.  Like I said, if it's the German guy then charge him and give him a trial.  

I don't care if it doesn't wash with you, I'm not remotely interested in persuading you. 

You are more interested in logging onto your conspiracy site and trying to look good.  Ghoul. 

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Fucking religion again 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

First picture of Christian Brueckner, from the Metro- https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/04/first-picture-christian-brueckner-madeline-mccann-suspect-12804492/

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but he looks really suspicious to me, dead eyed too.

Christian Brueckner

Still, despite all of his legal troubles, it was big of him to partake in Blackout Tuesday.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Mudface said:

First picture of Christian Brueckner, from the Metro- https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/04/first-picture-christian-brueckner-madeline-mccann-suspect-12804492/

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but he looks really suspicious to me, dead eyed too.

Christian Brueckner

Is it wrong I immediately thought

Simon fucking Mingolet 

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah, he's definitely got one of those faces.

A99A8503-F624-49C3-9DFA-DBD263FD0EBC.jpeg