You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What Muslims Want

Naz17

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the advert for it,I'm going to try and catch it on repeat.

was it as bad is it came across in the Ad?

Some surprising stats, mostly was about attitudes which have been documented about before though. Jon Snow could have been more pressing with his questions too.

Saw this. Thought it was really interesting.

The fact that Muslim kids born and raised in the UK are becoming less integrated than their parents (in contrast to every other racial or religious immigrant group) was the really interesting thing.

But the programme showed how this in itself is not necessarily a danger or a threat - it categorised this as Islamic separatism rather than Islamic extremism. In fact most of the things about modern British society that they were repelled by are the same things that most religious (or conservative with a small c) people would criticise - excessive alcohol consumption being the centre of social life, casual sex outside of marriage, homosexuality, lack of respect for family and family values etc. They clearly are not comfortable in anything goes liberal Britain. But most of those interviewed accept that they live in Britain and do not seek to convert us all to Islam or takeover and impose Sharia Law. They simply want to be able to live as Muslims within Britain.

There were pretty diverse opinions expressed but the one area where they spoke as one was in not being happy with British and American foreign policy and that is certainly not an extreme view – its pretty mainstream I’d say now.

excessive alcohol consumption being the centre of social life, casual sex outside of marriage, homosexuality, lack of respect for family and family values etc. They clearly are not comfortable in anything goes liberal Britain

see daily mail readers

Guest Jay W

Don't watch programs like that because I honestly couldn't give two flying shites what they want....They wouldn't care about what we want so fuck em..

Don't watch programs like that because I honestly couldn't give two flying shites what they want....They wouldn't care about what we want so fuck em..

Well when I wanted a lamb buna at the weekend they listened.

By the way, I’m joking, I hope you are?

Is this a film where Mel Gibson walks around reading the minds of Muslims and agreeing with any anti-Jewish sentiments he picks up?

Hahaha.

Surely no coincidence Paramount chose to show the episode of South Park on Friday where everyone goes nuts over the Passion of the Christ?

On the subject of the programme, wished I'd not allowed my girlfriend to watch some tosh on ITV about badly behaved kids now. Is it repeated at all?

These programmes are full of shit - the vast majority of British Born Asians do not share the values it speaks of. They are intergrated, a lot drink and virtually all all go out with women.

The problem with these programmes is that they onl interview 'Muslims who go to Mosque' so obviously they will get religious views. The ordinary fella on the street is not much different to their Christian counterparts in the UK.

These programmes are full of shit - the vast majority of British Born Asians do not share the values it speaks of. They are intergrated, a lot drink and virtually all all go out with women.

The problem with these programmes is that they onl interview 'Muslims who go to Mosque' so obviously they will get religious views. The ordinary fella on the street is not much different to their Christian counterparts in the UK.

Yep, I used to work with a lad called Samsul and he used to get bladdered with us. He said he went to the mosque to prevent shame being brought on his parents by the local Muslim community not because he had strong Islamic beliefs. He once gave me an eighth of skunk for my Birthday when I used to smoke. He was sound.

The ordinary fella on the street is not much different to their Christian counterparts in the UK.

But those aren’t the scary Muslims, and would make for boring TV.

What Muslims Want… a couple of pints and a pizza.

But Rash, the problem is that Muslims that drink, smoke, go out with birds, go clubbing etc don't want to be interviewed for programmes like these hence you are left with only one view of the community...

No young muslim lad is going to freely admit on tv that he gets bladdered with his mates, if he is going to admit that, then he'll find that the locks have been changed when he gets back home....

The problem with these programmes is that they only interview 'Muslims who go to Mosque' so obviously they will get religious views. The ordinary fella on the street is not much different to their Christian counterparts in the UK.

I found that quite interesting.

I always assume that anyone who describes themselves as Muslim would be a practising Muslim and (i assume) go to the mosque but you say not. What proportion of Muslims do you reckon are "Muslims who don't go to the mosque" then? Most "Christians" certainly never go near a church that's for sure - but most wouldn't necessarilly define themselves by their religion.

What do you reckon to the view that the British born children of Muslim immigrants are less integrated now than their parents were?

But those aren’t the scary Muslims, and would make for boring TV.

What Muslims Want… a couple of pints and a pizza.

The programme wasn't about "scary Muslims".

I think the trailer was dramatised to make you think it was going to say British Muslims support London bombers - which was utter rubbish and was not borne out in the programme at all. One or two did express such views but they were the tiny minority and it showed other Muslims openly castigating them for those views.

The programme was eye opening. The girl in the Burkha (i don't think she called it that) - her choice - was really interesting as I have never heard a woman in a Burkha speak except those wailing at the death of her family in Iraq etc. She was an utterly ordinary British girl - albeit she chose to cover her face. She was choosing to separate herself by her dress but she was not extreme or dangerous. nice eyes as well !!

I found that quite interesting.

I always assume that anyone who describes themselves as Muslim would be a practising Muslim and (i assume) go to the mosque but you say not. What proportion of Muslims do you reckon are "Muslims who don't go to the mosque" then? Most "Christians" certainly never go near a church that's for sure - but most wouldn't necessarilly define themselves by their religion.

What do you reckon to the view that the British born children of Muslim immigrants are less integrated now than their parents were?

I think we have to make a distinction between followers of the Muslim faith and people of Arab decent there.

I don't follow that at all ? what do you mean?

"These programmes are full of shit - the vast majority of British Born Asians do not share the values it speaks of. They are intergrated, a lot drink and virtually all all go out with women.

The problem with these programmes is that they only interview 'Muslims who go to Mosque' so obviously they will get religious views. The ordinary fella on the street is not much different to their Christian counterparts in the UK."

I basically read Rash's post as referring to Muslims who don't follow their religious teachings, therefore they're not facing challenges of integration related to their religion, but integration related to their racial background.

Society now seems to stamp everyone of middle-eastern origin as 'Muslims', but its not that simple, its also a basic racial and cultural issue.