You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thank you - Zinedine Zidane

Rashid

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and all the greatest writers are dead. I've seen all the dvd's and my conclusion stays the same: Zidane is the greatest of all time, and I agree that Ronaldinho is the only one who looks to come close.....Strange how Michelangelo died a poor man, isnt it

Everyone on the pitch were fat and lazy non- professionals, compared to today. Maradona was good, but today he would be just over average

Ronaldinho would dribble the whole English (or Spanish) side of the eighties. Sometimes when I watch some of those videos I wonder if the picture is running at normla speed. And I am not talking about games from the 20's, they'd look faster anyway.

If anyone has the chance watch the brazil italy of1 970. you see players running from their half and getting into the edge of the opposition box without having to dribble anyone. Sounds untrue? Watch it and then we talk.

IN the eighties the standards had improve but so have improved the standards of the game today and they 'll continue to improve. Mith, nostalgia, age, and not watching the games again with a critical eye ;)

...and all the greatest writers are dead. I've seen all the dvd's and my conclusion stays the same: Zidane is the greatest of all time, and I agree that Ronaldinho is the only one who looks to come close.....Strange how Michelangelo died a poor man, isnt it

Another nutter enters the forum

If the defensive movement was so poor why then do top managers use the likes of that AC Milan defence as a reference point even today?

I have no doubt Maradona could score that goal against the England team of today.

The Count concurs. When Maradona was at his peak, the Italian game was dragging the game into the modern ear. Serie A was the first league to Pioneer the standards we accept as given, today.

Maradona could have played in any era.

Best player ever IMO opinion is Garrincha or Jairzhino. Pele was limp and still is ( sorry bad joke). Growing up I hated Marradona for the 86 World cup ( at a time when the England team was good and not full of major pricks ) my favourite player as a kid was Platini I thought he was just majestic with his vision. I am not a fan who is big on players who go on mazy runs, I like a creative player. Maradonna yes awesome but I hated him and couldn't bring myslef to like him., bias yes. Then Zidane came onto the scene and I was in awe of his creative style his technique was awesome and his right foot for a volley was immense, not like big Jan Molby mind.

Even being a fan of Zidane, I would not rate him as the best player ever though. It would be hard to pick a specific player as "THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME" as each player from each era had a different style to their play. Pele was up there at the time of Puskas, Di Stefano and Best. Now Zidane is up there with his generation of Baggio, Zola, Bergkamp. Like Platini would be polishng King Kenny's boots in his era. It's all if's and but's if you ask me, however Davids he is just shit IMHO. If Davids is so hard why does he wear those glasses, Momo didn't need them.

There are many players past and present who would be candidates for the greattest player title and it will always be open to opinion. Except Davids of course.

Ronaldinho would dribble the whole English (or Spanish) side of the eighties. Sometimes when I watch some of those videos I wonder if the picture is running at normla speed. And I am not talking about games from the 20's, they'd look faster anyway.

If anyone has the chance watch the brazil italy of1 970. you see players running from their half and getting into the edge of the opposition box without having to dribble anyone. Sounds untrue? Watch it and then we talk.

IN the eighties the standards had improve but so have improved the standards of the game today and they 'll continue to improve. Mith, nostalgia, age, and not watching the games again with a critical eye ;)

The Spanish league was so good in the 80's that Steve Archibald got a contract at Barcalona

He was not even fit to lace Maradona's boots.

I hate that expression! So what if Zidane was`nt as good as Maradona?... For all you know he may very well still lace boots like it has never been done before. With a twist of magic, with some curls that are a joy to behold. He may to have laced boots in ways even Maradona could only dream about? Why do you need to be a brilliant player to lace boots?

Let me get this straight: on a Liverpool forum, there's only two posts on a 150+ thread that even mention the concept of our greatest fucking player being better than Zidane? You are all raving fucking homos - even you Uncle Jun. Old country, schmold country; I stood on The Kop and watched King Kenny play (and could he play).

*Claps*

"Dalglish!"