You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Finnan - I want to finish up at Anfield

Gav

Tomorrows headlines ......................just after hitting the media over here..Finnan basically saying that he loves Liverpool and the fans yadda yadda yadda love to retire at the end of his career a liverpool legend blah blah bah

This very worrying ,usually only get these type of stories when a players worried about his future

Guest Kop_Some_Bong

I'll be shattered if he leaves Liverpool.

By far one of the best players we've got.

Unless he's being sold for his drive.

Agreed, as if we're gonna sell Finnan. Calm down fellas, it's not going to happen.

All I said was that you generally don't get these headlines unless the player in question trying to speed up the contract offer process .......theres a interview with Irish media thats gonna be in the papers in the morning ......never said he was gonna be sold , but more a pondering as to why theres been no contract extention offered .....thats the gist of whats gonn come out....fucinhell,try to give people a heads up on the news like .......

Not having a go Gav, I'm just not fretting about his future. I believe he has another 2 years on his contract and that he'll be 32 when that ends, so I believe that the club would adopt a similar stance with other players of a similar age. Both Didi and Sami were made to wait before Rafa sanctioned new contracts.

He'll be 32 by the end of his contract. Any sane manager will wait at least one more year before even considering offering a new one. Players usually get old fast and at different ages.

I imagine he will be offered a one or two year extension at the end of next season if he keeps playing well.

Guest Momo Sissoko
He could go on until he is 35

Hmm, what else does it say in that crystal ball?

So you would offer a 30 year old a new 3 year deal on top of his current 2 year one?

I'd give him a new 3 year deal.

You've just been butting a wall because we had to pay out a vast amount of compensation to a manager who left before his contract expired, yet you'd offer a long term contract to a player who is in no rush to go anywhere else and will be offered a new contract at the appropriate time?

We offered Markus Babbel a new contract at a time when it wasn't known if he'd ever play again. It was a classy thing to do and won the support of most reds, but it eventually came to be seen as a poor decision from a business point of view as Markus was no longer good enough to play at the required level and we were forced to pay him a huge fee to eventually get him off the books. We have had to learn this lesson numerous times in the last few years and if we are finally wising up, then my faith in the men in charge may well change.

Finnan is a class act and will get his new contract when the time is right.

You've just been butting a wall because we had to pay out a vast amount of compensation to a manager who left before his contract expired, yet you'd offer a long term contract to a player who is in no rush to go anywhere else and will be offered a new contract at the appropriate time?

We offered Markus Babbel a new contract at a time when it wasn't known if he'd ever play again. It was a classy thing to do and won the support of most reds, but it eventually came to be seen as a poor decision from a business point of view as Markus was no longer good enough to play at the required level and we were forced to pay him a huge fee to eventually get him off the books. We have had to learn this lesson numerous times in the last few years and if we are finally wising up, then my faith in the men in charge may well change.

touche.

No way does he need a new contract now two and a bit to run. Really glad he came good. Had a tough first season and questions were being asked but he has answered them and is now one of our most consistant players.

Best rightback in the league - would not disagree with that either.

Relax. does anyone really think rafa will allow a lad playing this well to leave.

I hope if finnan is offered a new contract, Josemi doesn't jump in in the last second and sign it.

My auntie's best mates' sister works in a costume factory and she said a spanish looking man wearing a champions league winners medal ordered a steve finnan suit with a zip down the front. Straight up. She is a reliable source.

All I said was that you generally don't get these headlines unless the player in question trying to speed up the contract offer process .......theres a interview with Irish media thats gonna be in the papers in the morning ......never said he was gonna be sold , but more a pondering as to why theres been no contract extention offered .....thats the gist of whats gonn come out....fucinhell,try to give people a heads up on the news like .......

Gav do you know what paper the interview is in??

Imho that was the right thing to do for possibly the best right back I've seen play for us. What a terrible shame he was struck down by that syndrome. What are the chances of that happening, like?

Finnan will get his contract when the time is right for the club. He is no longer indespensable, like he was when Josemi was hovering our European Cup.