You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Fulham 1 Liverpool 3 - Match Reaction

I hate VAR and it needs to die, but then you see an awful offside given last night that allowed Leeds score an offside goal which is given due to no VAR. I don’t know. It’s all shite. Fuck the Pope 

I can only echo Dave's (and my own) previous comments about the refs.

If Jules (Julian?) think everything is above board I would say that is an incredibly naive way of looking at the multi-billion-dollar industry that football has become. Talking about the Americans as if they are more susceptible to foul play than your own kind is a bit childish (if not xenophobic) as well.

We have had our own little/big scandal here in Norway recently. The president of the Biathlon federation had been taking bribes for years to overlook the systematic Russian doping issues as well as generally being really friendly in debates regarding Russian particpitation. This is the man on top of the pyramid being directly influenced by Putin and his cronies. We (Norwegians) pride ourselves on being "clean" and at the front of the anti-doping work being done. Then our (possibly) biggest international influence in terms of winter sports (which is huge over here) not only completely sabotages his own sport's reputation, but actively works with a dictator. 

It won't be a hard stretch for me to think similar dealings are being done with the PL refs. A watch here, a hunting trip there, some prostitutes conveniently taking part in parties. Suddenly some friendly decisions go in their favour.

You don't really have to go that far away in sporting terms either. There's enough corruption between the leaders in football to last a lifetime, Warner, Havelange, Blatter, Platini etc. 

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/news/wada-welcomes-guilty-verdict-besseberg-case

It is however, a fair question to ask why would we still watch it if we know it's corrupt?

1. It IS possible to beat the odds from time to time

2. Most of us were kids when we grew to love the game. It's pretty hard to give it up even if it doesn't resemble what was back then. 

3. Some of us (even if that number shrinks by the day) live in hope that it will eventually be cleaned up.

59 minutes ago, lebron said:

I can only echo Dave's (and my own) previous comments about the refs.

If Jules (Julian?) think everything is above board I would say that is an incredibly naive way of looking at the multi-billion-dollar industry that football has become. Talking about the Americans as if they are more susceptible to foul play than your own kind is a bit childish (if not xenophobic) as well.

We have had our own little/big scandal here in Norway recently. The president of the Biathlon federation had been taking bribes for years to overlook the systematic Russian doping issues as well as generally being really friendly in debates regarding Russian particpitation. This is the man on top of the pyramid being directly influenced by Putin and his cronies. We (Norwegians) pride ourselves on being "clean" and at the front of the anti-doping work being done. Then our (possibly) biggest international influence in terms of winter sports (which is huge over here) not only completely sabotages his own sport's reputation, but actively works with a dictator. 

It won't be a hard stretch for me to think similar dealings are being done with the PL refs. A watch here, a hunting trip there, some prostitutes conveniently taking part in parties. Suddenly some friendly decisions go in their favour.

You don't really have to go that far away in sporting terms either. There's enough corruption between the leaders in football to last a lifetime, Warner, Havelange, Blatter, Platini etc. 

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/news/wada-welcomes-guilty-verdict-besseberg-case

Yeah but this is good old blighty, we don't go in for none of those shenanigans here. That's only a problem for bloody foreigners. 

• Haha 1

I'd love to know the alternative league table, which accounts for the egregious decisions that Michael Oliver has made in Man City's favour this season.

Not sure why Jules is shouting at clouds about conflicts of interest being fine. In every walk of life steps are taken to rule out the possibility of conflicting interests. If you apply for a tender, a grant, if you are on jury service... This list goes on and on.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I don't have the energy to refute all of this stuff. I don't buy into the conspiracy stuff for many reasons but mainly because I find it all very tedious and boring.

As for xenophobic, that's not what I said, nor what I meant, so don't wilfully misrepresent my view on that @lebronand stick that "your own kind" nonsense in the bin.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Chris said:

I'd say not having the energy to refute conspiracy theories makes Jules more ok than those touting them.

So you don’t think there’s any chance of bias and or corruption in sports?

I’d say that it’s you and Jules that are out of touch on this one. I find it incredibly naive and just flat out galling that it’s just being laughed off as something totally unthinkable.

With all due respect, dismissing the concept of a conflict of interests - which is basically as old as the written word - as conspiracy theory is just ignorant.

I mean, Howard Webb has dismissed it. That should tell you all you need to know. 

We don't have to be talking about collusion, and intentional wrongdoing. This stuff can work on a totally unconscious level.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Honestly, I don't have the energy to refute all of this stuff. I don't buy into the conspiracy stuff for many reasons but mainly because I find it all very tedious and boring.

As for xenophobic, that's not what I said, nor what I meant, so don't wilfully misrepresent my view on that @lebronand stick that "your own kind" nonsense in the bin.

Hey, I’m not looking to pick a fight here, so if you took exception to my comment then I apologise for that. Just seemed a bit out of character with you view on that conspiracies and/or corruption doesn’t seem to exist in the PL, but is rife in the US because they are gambling derelicts (can’t be bothered to listen back to the exact time you said it and your exact wording).

There’s enough evidence and material out there to connect the dots without being branded a conspiracy theorist. 

Anyway, I’ll leave Dave U to fight the fight on the pod for those of us that don’t think everything is all above board with the results and decisions in the home of football…

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

I don't think there's no chance of corruption, I just refuse to believe they reckon they'd have any chance of ever getting away with it. 

Unconscious bias is one thing; deliberately rigging games because of the current "they hate us" rationale from every set of fans and "they're getting openly paid off by city" is another. 

It makes people look like cranks. 

Yeah, a bit like the guy I mentioned above. He sat for 20 years. Has to go to prison now at the age of 76…

Good job on the authorities that actually put their resources towards punishing those thinking “they’d have any chance of ever getting away with it”. Interested to know, do you not think City are cooking their books either? If that’s not deliberately rigging the competition I don’t know what is.

Is it really THAT far fetched that someone is being influenced by the enormous sums of money (and prestige) that is floating around? I’ll take the crank description if it is the opposite view of yours as a badge of honour, thanks!

1 hour ago, Chris said:

To clarify: 

1) I do think City cooking their books. So do the Premier League.

2) I'm not interested in going back and forth on the minutiae of the conspiracy theories about referring in the UK, but accept there is bias deployed at various times for various reasons. Conflicts of interest are obviously present. Stop the UAE trips, get refs off games of teams from rival cities. It's a Howard Webb problem. That needs sorting out and can easily be done. A grand conspiracy to deny Liverpool a title isn't a thing.

3) I only came into this thread to push back against that crap spouted towards Jules and the Covid vaccine style "I do my own research. Wake up, sheeple" which is how you sound.

Have at it with whatever you wanna respond to that, if at all. I'm done.

1. Will they do anything with it, though? Otherwise it's corruption accepted.

2. Good. You agree that there's corruption involved then. Not sure there's a "grand conspiracy" myself, more likely just a few people wanting specific results influencing a few others.

3. Funnily, that was my aim to, as Jules tried to pass Dave's (in my opinion) fully legitimate claims off as conspiracy theories. I have noticed you do the same. We'll agree to disagree I guess

Emotions running high on all things Liverpool I guess. 

Funny thing with putting your opinions in to the wider audience is you might find people disagreeing with you. Hopefully that won't lead to you guys not doing the pod, as it's normally a great listen!

• dave u unpinned this topic