You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Europa League 23/24

Bjornebye

On paper we were the strongest team in it at the start, however, football is played on grass not paper and we shouldn’t underestimate any team we play, because when we play most of them it’ll be their final, so anything less than 100% on our part could leave us with egg on our faces.

It’s a big shiny thing we’re playing for and we exist to win big shiny things.

The teams dropping down from the CL so far shouldn't be feared.

Galatasaray 

Braga

Feyenoord 

RB Salzburg 

Young Boys

Lens

Porto/Shaktar Donetsk. Shaktar play their home games in Poland. 

Only real worry is PSG or Newcastle dropping down. 

The group winners go into the last 16 with us. Second place teams play the CL dropouts in the extra round. Some groups are still undecided. West Ham and freiburg are level on points but West Ham are top on head to head. 

Liverpool (1)

Leverkusen (1)

Atalanta (1)

Sporting Lisbon (2)

Rennes (1)

Villareal (2)

Roma/Slavia Prague

Marseille (1)

Brighton (2)

West Ham/Freiburg 

Real Betis/Rangers/Sparta Prague

Qarabag/Molde

Toulouse (2)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Newcastle don't worry me at all - well apart from the bullshit that would be attached to the tie and them kicking lumps out of us.

But in terms of progression my view is we would beat them handily over two legs.

We are better than them imo but they are such snidey time wasting cunts the games would be tight amd European reds tend to fall for shithousery all the time

The only English team I wouldn't mind meeting in the final is Brighton. They wouldn't bring a massive following like say possibly Newcastle, Villa or West Ham. There could be aggro with any of those three and while Dublin would be mental anyway, we want it to be nice mental.

Ideally, we get a German team. Proper fans generally and could be a good laugh. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

The only "Champions League" club in this competition is us. Complacency will be our biggest threat like when we played Toulouse away. 

Well, yeah. I agree. 

I thought they’d be drawing the last 32 and last 16 together on Monday. They are only drawing the last 32. 

Thank fuck the Mancs and Newcastle didn't drop down. Quite funny given both of their sets of fans were giving us loads of grief for being in the Europa with stuff like "Enjoy Kazakhstan on thursdays".

Could potentially play Milan at some point but hopefully play a few more teams we haven't met before with decent fans. 

1 minute ago, Harry Squatter said:

Thank fuck the Mancs and Newcastle didn't drop down. Quite funny given both of their sets of fans were giving us loads of grief for being in the Europa with stuff like "Enjoy Kazakhstan on thursdays".

Could potentially play Milan at some point but hopefully play a few more teams we haven't met before with decent fans. 

I’d like Galatasaray, Feynoord, then Milan in the semis and Leverkusen in the final.

7 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I’d like Galatasaray, Feynoord, then Milan in the semis and Leverkusen in the final.

Proper aways there but would probably prefer to avoid Galatasaray. Nice jaunts to nearby countries would be easier on the lads.

Sorry, had it in my head that Villa were in the Europa. Good news they aren't.

4 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Would be a good route with some decent games. 

Just for the novelty as we've never faced any of them:

Shakhtar Donetsk (no long trip as they play in Poland)

Feyenoord - so our fans can visit De Kuip before it gets demolished.

Sporting - we always seem to play Porto and Benfica but never them.

Freiburg or Leverkusen in the final. A good piss up with decent fans. 

We'll probably draw Rangers, Benfica, Roma then play West Ham in the final with all their bellend fans trying to recreate Green Street. 

We won't find out who we play till late February. The 8 group runners up play the 8 3rd place champions league in the knockout round and we rejoin in the round of 16. 3 rounds to get through to get a place in the final

As it stands

Galatasaray

Lens

Braga

Benfica

Feyenoord

Milan

Young Boys

Shakhtar Donetsk

Will be the champions league drop outs and will play the group runners up

Only Sporting are secured for runners up. Most of the groups are really close