You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (A) - Sat 25th Nov 2023 (12:30pm)

Trumo

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It s a very good result, but basically, Trent gets it for us with a big moment. Performance wise, it wasnt anything different from what 99% of teams do against them. We created very little, had little control and had their finishing better, they win.

Had a similar conversation with my friend outside the bar this morning. Sure we weren't great, but neither were they. Particularly in the second half they didn't create any real danger that I can remember and their only goal was off a direct mistake by Ali and then our central defenders compounded that. That team is allegedly the best team in Europe right now and yet despite us not being at our best we got a draw at their place.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I've said a few times that the difference between us and the blue mancs has been De Bruyne. Take him amd Rodri away and they're pretty even with the rest of the top 4 teams 

Doku is still very young, could turn into a major talent in a few years. Definitely looked dangerous today. 

Yeah, two great players.

Doku was excellent. Be interesting to see how they use him when others back. 

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It s a very good result, but basically, Trent gets it for us with a big moment. Performance wise, it wasnt anything different from what 99% of teams do against them. We created very little, had little control and had their finishing been better, they win.

I think sometimes you see football like playing FIFA or something. What big chances did they have? We were always a threat on the break and their best chance of scoring all game was alisson, in fact their only goal comes from it and their only talking points were him. It was a classic away performance to a top team, aside from Ali, who if you told me he was drunk, I could believe it - clearly jetlag doesn't agree with him. That was the way you control a game when you can't always have the ball. 

The key in these games is always keep yourself in the game and give your top talents the chance to make a difference. That's what we did as a team and Trent delivered the goods, another day it could have been any one of a number of players. Like haaland had done for them earlier h if he doesn't take his chance, we win 1-0. We didn't dominate the game, but neither did we ever really look in trouble, aside from Ali's woes. That's a great away point. And to a team no matter how you want to think we did no different to anyone else, hasn't dropped a point to anyone at home in their last 23 matches. 

A real mature performance and it's been a very long time since we had one of them. And hopefully it puts to bed this idea it'll all fall apart when we play Trent in the hydrid role. Doku was top of his game, yet could barely hurt us. We've still only lost when we've been cheated with this formation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

Felt sorry for Nunez today. Lads scored in the week by running behind defences and we never tried it once yet we loved playing stupid one - twos back to the keeper letting them get right on top of us and giving them dangerous free kick on the edge of our box. Go long you bellends

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

Felt sorry for Nunez today. Lads scored in the week by running behind defences and we never tried it once yet we loved playing stupid one - twos back to the keeper letting them get right on top of us and giving them dangerous free kick on the edge of our box. Go long you bellends

Comments on here about him being offside a couple times. You know he is going to make the run - play the fuckin ball quicker.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think sometimes you see football like playing FIFA or something. What big chances did they have? We were always a threat on the break and their best chance of scoring all game was alisson, in fact their only goal comes from it and their only talking points were him. It was a classic away performance to a top team, aside from Ali, who if you told me he was drunk, I could believe it - clearly jetlag doesn't agree with him. That was the way you control a game when you can't always have the ball. 

The key in these games is always keep yourself in the game and give your top talents the chance to make a difference. That's what we did as a team and Trent delivered the goods, another day it could have been any one of a number of players. Like haaland had done for them earlier h if he doesn't take his chance, we win 1-0. We didn't dominate the game, but neither did we ever really look in trouble, aside from Ali's woes. That's a great away point. And to a team no matter how you want to think we did no different to anyone else, hasn't dropped a point to anyone at home in their last 23 matches. 

A real mature performance and it's been a very long time since we had one of them. And hopefully it puts to bed this idea it'll all fall apart when we play Trent in the hydrid role. Doku was top of his game, yet could barely hurt us. We've still only lost when we've been cheated with this formation.

It's a better result for us than for them, but no, we did not really carry a threat. Realistically, City should have won this 1-0, but a moment of individual quality gave us a draw. Cool.

The credit you can give us is we had a pretty good shape and didn't break. Given loads of people thought we could win this game, though, you'd think they'd expect more than that, but I personally didn't. And that's fine, the importance of this game is overrated in the context of the season.

• Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Comments on here about him being offside a couple times. You know he is going to make the run - play the fuckin ball quicker.

Exactly. We couldn’t string 2 passes together that first 35 minutes and Allison was a nervous wreck yet we still carried on giving it straight back to them unchallenged in our half. 

4 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I hear you but part of that is on Nunez himself. He thinks too much when he plays for us. He needs to start believing in himself more if he's going to lead the line. His best attributes on the pitch require him to play selfishly 90% of the time, and I don't mean not working defensively, I mean when he gets the ball he needs to think about scoring first and passing second. He does that for Uruguay and it works, he doesn't do that for us. I'm sure part of that is the manager's directions which if true, fair enough, but I think it makes him overthink things in real time which contributes to the missed opportunities.

2 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I hear you but part of that is on Nunez himself. He thinks too much when he plays for us. He needs to start believing in himself more if he's going to lead the line. His best attributes on the pitch require him to play selfishly 90% of the time, and I don't mean not working defensively, I mean when he gets the ball he needs to think about scoring first and passing second. He does that for Uruguay and it works, he doesn't do that for us. I'm sure part of that is the manager's directions which if true, fair enough, but I think it makes him overthink things in real time which contributes to the missed opportunities.

Agree with this.  In particular, he needs to stop deferring to Mo so often when Mo is in no better position than he is.  

• Upvote 2

Anyway, I’ve very happy with result today. I thought we deserved a point,  a professional performance. 

Slightly disappointed we settled for the point once we equalised, I’d have liked us to push for a winner. 

Very, very fortunate with that Dias goal / foul on Alisson. 

36 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's a better result for us than for them, but no, we did not really carry a threat. Realistically, City should have won this 1-0, but a moment of individual quality gave us a draw. Cool.

The credit you can give us is we had a pretty good shape and didn't break. Given loads of people thought we could win this game, though, you'd think they'd expect more than that, but I personally didn't. And that's fine, the importance of this game is overrated in the context of the season.

It’s a fixture between the top two sides that have had barely a point or two between them in several seasons.

It’s a colossal game by any measure. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1